Real possibility Trey Smith returns

HE has done well and bucked the odds. HE gets all the credit...not message board posters calling out other message board poster with real life experience concerning blood clot conditions. Take a bow if you like, Remy. Just off to the side so you don’t block Trey who did the real showing.

Lol, you mad bro? Be happy for Trey, it's not about me, never was, I had no clue which way it would go. Some of you tried to make it about you, that's a fact.

tenor.gif

Reactions: GoVols64
HE has done well and bucked the odds. HE gets all the credit...not message board posters calling out other message board poster with real life experience concerning blood clot conditions. Take a bow if you like, Remy. Just off to the side so you don’t block Trey who did the real showing.
Over nothing has he to get.

It’ll be a gamble for him to go back. But one that could pay off huge. He’d likely be a mid round draft pick this year which would mean he’d get very little guaranteed money. If he could come back and play all year he’d definitely end up a mid first round with a ton of guaranteed money. Happy for him whichever way he goes

Reactions: alaVOL
Would be like landing a 10 STAR....

dang skippy, and even better than a tin star...:D

PS. think it would be in his best interest to come back and make mo' money in the NFL...NFL scared right now and they'll try to get him on the cheap...;)

GO BIG ORANGE!

Reactions: onevol74
If they can improve on opening some running lanes the offense could be quite potent next year, run game wise.
Hopefully we find a QB who can make the defense play both the passing and running game. At this point they are only playing the run, which makes run blocking tough.

Reactions: tbones0711
I'm gonna be fine with whatever he does, but man... he needs to go. Unless they just don't think he's even gonna get drafted or something, which I can't see. Someone's gonna take a chance on him.

I think we would have one of the top lines in the SEC and possible country if he does.

Kennedy, Trey, Morris, Wright anchoring it.
You left out Carvin who's been playing RG a heckuva lot since Miss. St. game when UT turned the corner and quit experimenting.

Reactions: livefaith
And anyone ( there were many) that said he won’t ever and can not play again don’t understand where there is a will there is SOMETIMES a way to safely participate. I was challenged by some when I said there is a lot of evidence showing elite level contact sports athletes have had blood thinner/ blood clot /pe/dvt issues that have addressed them appropriately and gone on to have successful careers. Many of my examples were hockey players but they insisted I didn’t understand and trey was done. They were wrong. I hope Trey and his family is able to make the right decision for them and he will always be a VFL to me.
Certainly understand your offense. Those who said it was impossible were wrong and you were right. Thank God! But of course there are many who have dealt with PE's and its ended their careers on the playing field, gym, etc. and of course many it ended their lives. My hematologist once told me that death rate from clots in general is so high the public would be terrified if we actually knew. He also said oftentimes when you hear of someone dying in their sleep and well meaning doctors, family members etc. claimed they died from heart issues many times it was a blood clot (of any type) that killed them. But I, like you am thrilled that Trey has been able to deal with them so far in an effective way. Hopefully we'll see him playing on Sunday's soon OR in Neyland ONE MORE YEAR!

I'm gonna be fine with whatever he does, but man... he needs to go. Unless they just don't think he's even gonna get drafted or something, which I can't see. Someone's gonna take a chance on him.

If he believes that his issue isn't gone, then he should grab whatever money he can get. If he thinks he's fine, then he should stay and go after 1st round money.

Certainly understand your offense. Those who said it was impossible were wrong and you were right. Thank God! But of course there are many who have dealt with PE's and its ended their careers on the playing field, gym, etc. and of course many it ended their lives. My hematologist once told me that death rate from clots in general is so high the public would be terrified if we actually knew. He also said oftentimes when you hear of someone dying in their sleep and well meaning doctors, family members etc. claimed they died from heart issues many times it was a blood clot (of any type) that killed them. But I, like you am thrilled that Trey has been able to deal with them so far in an effective way. Hopefully we'll see him playing on Sunday's soon OR in Neyland ONE MORE YEAR!
Death by PE is usually instantaneous.

Or he comes back, the clots return and he's never made a dime for playing football. 2nd rounders get a floor of a 1.4 million dollar signing bonus and a floor of a 4.5 million dollar contract. 3rd rounders are looking at guaranteed money of at least 2 million dollars themselves. That is life changing money that he could be risking by returning. It also starts his clock on the pension plan faster. He just needs 3 years active or on IR to get on the plan. So his gain by leaving is guaranteeing that with smart investment he never has to work again and starting a year closer to a lifetime of retirement pay and insurance. His gain by coming back is that he maybe makes more money on his first contract with no idea if he'll be healthy at this time next year. For me, that's too big a risk to give up 2nd or 3rd round money and start the clock on your second contract and take a step towards the pension plan.
Let's take the $4.5M scenario if we was to get 3rd round, the beginning of 3rd round. Now let's say he gets half after taxes, social security, Medicare, health care and benefits. That is now $2.25M. Assuming he spends none of it and invests and gets 4% withdraw and the other gains are covering inflation. That is $90k a year to live on. Once again that assumes he spends none up front.

Now if the 2nd round, once again the beginning, then let's call it $7M and the same analysis results in $140k annually, same assumptions.

Finally look at 1st round, even pick 32. You are now looking at $10M. Same analysis and well $200k annually. Get to pick number 15 and that is $14.4M with the resulting $288k annually.

Huge difference in money especially when you consider it has to last you a lifetime and pay your medical bills. I don't consider $90k without benefits a huge number. I do consider nearly $300k without benefits a huge number that would buy you financial freedom for your entire life.

Playing NFL GM for a moment, I'm taking Trey in the first round but only after structuring a deal that limits the guaranteed money and pays consequentially for the number of starts or availability for starts. He’s too great a talent for one or more teams not to try and structure a deal that limits their liability if he can’t go but pays him what he’s worth if he can. Someone is going to say here’s 2 mil for your signature and another 500k for every game you can go. I may be talking out my *%$# but someone is going to take a chance on this kid, he’s just too good.

Playing NFL GM for a moment, I'm taking Trey in the first round but only after structuring a deal that limits the guaranteed money and pays consequentially for the number of starts or availability for starts. He’s too great a talent for one or more teams not to try and structure a deal that limits their liability if he can’t go but pays him what he’s worth if he can. Someone is going to say here’s 2 mil for your signature and another 500k for every game you can go. I may be talking out my *%$# but someone is going to take a chance on this kid, he’s just too good.
I don't think the GMs have that much flexibility. The rookie contract structures were part of the labor contract negotiations at the NFL level.

You also have another problem as a GM. You can't afford 1st round draft choice bust. The team development and progress are hurt by 1st round busts.

Reactions: GoVols64
I don't think the GMs have that much flexibility. The rookie contract structures were part of the labor contract negotiations at the NFL level.

You also have another problem as a GM. You can't afford 1st round draft choice bust. The team development and progress are hurt by 1st round busts.

Don't know enough about NFL rookie contract structure to comment, but the only way TS is a bust is he can't go because of health. From draft prospective they may look at it the same way they're looking at say someone like Tua. Talented without a doubt but may never play a healthy down.

Don't know enough about NFL rookie contract structure to comment, but the only way TS is a bust is he can't go because of health. From draft prospective they may look at it the same way they're looking at say someone like Tua. Talented without a doubt but may never play a healthy down.
I very much agree with you. It is still a business decision and well the risk looks just a bit large that the medical could flare back up. I do think the draft grades reflect that.

In the end we will all sit back and watch. For me, I believe in myself and take the chance of college for another year in a place that already knows me and is working with me and my condition.

I very much agree with you. It is still a business decision and well the risk looks just a bit large that the medical could flare back up. I do think the draft grades reflect that.

In the end we will all sit back and watch. For me, I believe in myself and take the chance of college for another year in a place that already knows me and is working with me and my condition.

Think someone else posted something similar but as much as I would love to see him back I hope he makes the decision that ultimately is best for his long term health. Whatever he does he will be a VFL

This is all coming down to where he will be projected IMO. Spyfish did a great analysis and you fall into the back half of the draft or even UFA territory I'm not sure its worth the risk for Trey at that point. If M.D.'s think they can get him to a place that is safe to meet NFL demands I can't imaging a team not taking a chance, especially in the later rounds. If I'm Trey and I can get drafted late either year maybe the degree makes sense at this point. I have no idea but wish him all the best. Hope the young man has a healthy and happy life.

Lol, you mad bro? Be happy for Trey, it's not about me, never was, I had no clue which way it would go. Some of you tried to make it about you, that's a fact.
And you said that in several of the posts when others said because they had ____medical condition they knew Trey was never coming back or what ever drivel they were spouting. Seems Jordan the gimp who doubled down on the "I know better" and Big Orange Train have been painfully absent in some of the more recent because they thought they were smarter than it turns out.
But I, like you am thrilled that Trey has been able to deal with them so far in an effective way. Hopefully we'll see him playing on Sunday's soon OR in Neyland ONE MORE YEAR!
Like Remy said in the above we didn't know how it was gonna turn out but I did know there was some precedent for elite level athletes being medically approved to compete but varied on a case by case basis. I guess I'm old school in that regard that if I'm wrong I will be a man a day, week, or years down the road and say I was mistaken. I know the internet isn't probably for me :rolleyes: but I try to never write something I wouldn't be comfortable saying to a mans/ womans face. That being said if I think you are being abjectly stupid I'll tell you to your face and if you want to swing well I've been knocked down before.
I for one don't watch a lot of NFL but as a youth coach of OLmen for years I would tune in to see Trey Smith on Sundays just because I have a warm spot in my heart for how he plays the game, the example and the setbacks he has overcome. I would be much more excited to see him back in Neyland in Sept next year though! I would love to see him get a chance to move to Tackle and really get that paycheck in 2021! I think he has the feet and certainly size and grasp of blocking schemes to challenge elite DEs.

Reactions: tennrich1

VN Store

Back