"Real Concerns on Defense Remain" (Report After Spring)

You are not alone...many of us believe in Banks. Just need a couple recruiting cycles.

People forget we played our entire SEC schedule with about 60 players not hurt or gone? 65 at best? Every other team had 85 players. Thats an extra man for EVERY single player om offense and defense....that would be 22 more guys. So 85 to 63 ...about what we rolled with. It will take 2 more classes minimum to have a 2 deep like our enemies . Probably 3 classes. Off to a GREAT START
Agree 100%. The roster was absolutely gutted on both sides of the ball following Pruitt's departure. Last year Tennessee had no business being as competitive as they were. The last staff left a sh*t show for Heupel and staff to clean up. I think people forget the disaster Pruitt left this program in following a 3-7 season and a mass exodus. The staff last year really worked a small miracle to win 7 games. Should have been more (Ole Miss and Pitt). Looking at all the talent that transferred from a team that only won 3 games the year prior, its still crazy to me Heupel had a better team despite losing so many key players. I did not initially like the Heupel hire, or the Banks hire, but I'm all in now after last year, the team was competitive all year and way overachieved imo. Good coaching on both sides of the ball considering the circumstances.

Ty Chandler
Eric Gray
Wanna Morris
Jahmir Johnson
DeAndre Johnson
Henry T
Crouch
Key Lawrence

Last edited:
Our defense is an insult to humanity. Hoping we can at least be like Mike Leach’s Tech teams - horrific D but an eye-popping offense. Our games are fonna have Arena League scores. 🤣

I don't think he has great talent... and I think there's good reason to judge some of the things he's not doing well. Conversions on 3rd down often come down to the DC's play calling. After weeks, you would think they could have figured out how to stop a QB from killing them on broken field runs. Those are two things that were more coaching and teaching than talent.
He definitely needs to adjust in game for mobile quarterbacks if his plan hasn't worked initially. Ole Miss game is a prime example. I don't recall him adjusting to Matt's use of his legs after getting killed consistently on 3rd down. One of my biggest headscratchers was when UK was 4th and 20 with the game on the line and lets a RB wide open for the 1st down.

He definitely needs to adjust in game for mobile quarterbacks if his plan hasn't worked initially. Ole Miss game is a prime example. I don't recall him adjusting to Matt's use of his legs after getting killed consistently on 3rd down. One of my biggest headscratchers was when UK was 4th and 20 with the game on the line and lets a RB wide open for the 1st down.
The latter could have been a player mistake. The former though... doesn't even seem that hard. UT was getting big plays vs OM. TFL's and pressure but then couldn't stop the QB run. One pretty obvious tactic would be to spy him... but another would be a delayed blitz. Let the crease open up so the QB thinks he has a lane and then blitz someone through it.

I'm no defensive expert and Banks is. But sometimes it seems obvious.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

VN Store

Back