"Real Concerns on Defense Remain" (Report After Spring)

OneVolNation

All Vols All The Time
From Jesse Simonton's article at On3-

"... However, situationally, Tim Banks’ unit was downright abominable."

The Tennessee Volunteers couldn’t get off the field on third down (101st nationally), were among the worst red zone defenses in the country (121st nationally) and were constantly bombed through the air (109th nationally in passing explosive plays allowed).

Tennessee Volunteers: Post-spring stock report

There is plenty of room for improvement specifically on:

*Red Zone Defense (121st)

*3rd down defense (101st)

*Explosive plays allowed (109th)

I'm optimistic with the returning veterans and transfers that these numbers improve under DC Tim Banks in season 2.

Go Vols!

Hyp must have felt like he needed another season to get it all together. I would think if the D is not very much improved this season we will have a new DC next year.

I don't think it comes down to Bank's ability as a DC. We just haven't been able to get a lot of dudes yet on the defensive side of the ball. Maybe some of that does fall on Banks but realistically, we don't have the Jimmy s and Joes yet.

I'm optimistic with the returning veterans and transfers that these numbers improve under DC Tim Banks in season 2.

Go Vols!
I would say those things are fixable. Better pash rush certainly could help, better angles from the linebackers, better play from secondary. It was small mistakes on all levels. I know they can do it, as we were very good on 1st and 2nd down.

If we fix our 3rd down woes, our defense goes from mediocre to very good. If you can get a very good defense with our offense, then we'll be very good this year.

I would say those things are fixable. Better pash rush certainly could help, better angles from the linebackers, better play from secondary. It was small mistakes on all levels. I know they can do it, as we were very good on 1st and 2nd down.

If we fix our 3rd down woes, our defense goes from mediocre to very good. If you can get a very good defense with our offense, then we'll be very good this year.

I agree with all of this. We have some veterans returning and have filled in some gaps with experienced transfers that should give us a bump too.

It's exciting to think how much better overall the team should be on both sides of the ball this season.

Here are the stats from last season

Reactions: norrislakevol
Until this coaching staff makes it a priority that we are two deep upper level quality depth, the defense will continue to suck ands it’s not the DC’s fault! CJH MUST realize 1) HIS offense is the single biggest detriment to the defense and 2) recruiting must improve!

I like CJH but he will not make it past year 5 without these improvements!

The defense will always be a concern because they will be on the field a lot because of the offense. It is one of the concerns of the offense (not playing ball control when you are up). Until they get an SEC quality 2 deep, the defense will continue to suffer, as they will get too tired.

This writer reveals his lack of objectivity early in the article, while talking about Hendon Hooker. He says:

"...his completion percentage could land north of 70% in 2022 if he improves his deep ball accuracy. As good as Hooker was last season, there were still lots of misfires on open shot plays." [emphasis added]

Context: Hooker's 2021 completion %, at a bit over 68%, was 2nd-best in the SEC. Better than Bama's Byron Young. Better than Ole Miss' Matt Corral.

Think this writer will say Corral and Young had "lots of misfires"? Nah, he won't say that.

So I haven't yet read the rest of the article. Going to do that now.

EDIT: The rest of his write-up was pretty fair. His points about our defensive needs are pretty solid.

He does reveal at the very end of the article his lack of understanding of Tennessee football history. Particularly our relationship with the Wildcats of Kentucky. He writes, "Beat Kentucky again, which UT has been a recent thorn for the Wildcats, and the Vols could finish second in the division." Umm. Recent? That's not the correct word for a team that has beaten the other team 8 of the last 10 meetings, as well as 34 of the last 37 ... as well as 82 of the last 117. This isn't a recent thing, us owning the Wildkittens. It's more like a forever thing.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
Until this coaching staff makes it a priority that we are two deep upper level quality depth, the defense will continue to suck ands it’s not the DC’s fault! CJH MUST realize 1) HIS offense is the single biggest detriment to the defense and 2) recruiting must improve!

1.) So.. are you asking that he stop scoring so fast?
2.) Do you honestly not think he knows we need better players on D?

The heat must be getting to you as you seem a little pissy this afternoon with all the !!!s.

I like Banks, I think for the most part we were in the right coverage most of the time. We just lack the athletes specifically in the defensive backfield to compete. I think our lbers looked “better” as the year went on but still I don’t see us stopping a mobile qb. I don’t think we’ve gotten better in the secondary and with Butler gone now maybe even the Dline isn’t as good.

Really hoping this is a better defense but I don’t see how. Our offense should in theory be even more potent.

Pardon my ignorance but when people bring up the fact that our offensive tempo is a factor how big of a factor is it really? Do the expectations for the defense change at all due to it or does it all come down to just not having enough talent and depth?

I disagree. Don’t get me wrong they have to defend a ton of time and snaps but that defense would struggle regardless. At least once the offense takes control a bit it forces the opposing offense into more of a quick strike offense to keep up. Our biggest issue is we don’t have enough talent in the secondary.

Pardon my ignorance but when people bring up the fact that our offensive tempo is a factor how big of a factor is it really? Do the expectations for the defense change at all due to it or does it all come down to just not having enough talent and depth?
It’s a factor for sure from the pure aspect that you have to defend more snaps per game. Most likely you will be less rested as well. Some teams can sub out often and not have a significant fall off, we’re struggling to stop ppl with our starters. I will say as I said earlier if you get talent on both sides of the ball it isn’t as much a factor as some think though. You get up a few TDs and what the opposing offense can do to keep up gets predictable.

Go Vols!
Those defensive stats definitely tell the tale of the defense that I watched on the field last year.
The biggest reason to be optimistic is that there really isn't much opportunity to be worse than last year. There really is pretty much nowhere to go but up. Last year's UT defense played some of the worst 3rd down defense that I've ever seen. Just getting an occasional stop on 3rd down would improve a lot of the other defensive statistics.

Go Vols!
Hes a gator who used to work for volquest. He ought to know we can only lose to UK when JG throws back to back telegraphed pick 6's.

Our defense wasn't always bad last year. If it were that bad we would have struggled a lot more with missouri and uscjr. Early on we'd do well, then we just couldn't get off the field on third down.

Kinda like 2020's defense completely unable to stop a slant route.

I'll he shocked if we don't improve.

I mean I've convinced myself we're going to be pretty damn good. Like Ole Miss last year good.

Our defense gave up @75% as many big plays as our offense got against our opponents.

We have to get that down to about 30% and we have a formula that can win. If we can maintain that percentage against the best teams, we have a championship team.
This isn't an Al Wilson type defense, but it is a foundation to build upon. I don't love it, but it is where we can start a winning culture on the defensive side.

VN Store

Back