Re-do on blown game

That would be my #1 except it's more of a we got screwed than a we blew it game to me.

Still wasn't a fu@$!ng catch though!!!!

My #2 was loss to gators in '95. Vols, w/Manning @ QB were up 30-14 nearing halftime. Then, we just crumbled, losing 62-37. That was the only loss that season. We beat a one loss Ohio St. team that had AA's Eddie George and Terry Glenn (1444 yds rec, 17 TD), QB Bobby Hoying and a great D lead by Shawn Springs and Mike Vrabel. We had a great shot to win a Natty that year if we don't fall apart in the swamp. If we had a 4 team playoff, we might have won it anyway.

Boy, there's a laundry list of Gator games since the 1990s that are mind boggling failures. Not that they were not great UF teams. But, even when we've been = talent wise, we have sharted the bed still.

Reactions: VolinMC
I still say the 1980 Ga game. 1st and goal from the 1 with less than 2 mins left and Ford fumbles. Ga wins 16-15 and wins a NC. Vols tank (losing a 2nd heartbreaker the next week to SoCal).

Everyone remembers it for Hershel coming out party but it’s still a game Vols had under control until Bates fumbles a punt in 3rd qtr.
Weren’t we up 15-0?

giphy.gif

Another offseason topic. I have watched UT games since the 80’s majors years and all of our coaches since then have lost (blown) games they should have won, sometimes easily. Out of all the blown games, which one hurts the most? If you could go back in time and ‘re-play’ just one game, which one would it be and how do you think that would have changed the outcome of our season?

90 bama game? One of the 93-97/99 Florida games? 2015 or 2017 Florida Hail Mary games? 1996 Memphis? 99 Arkansas? 2001 Georgia or LSU game? 2015 Oklahoma? Just a few of many examples? Do you think there is one game (if we could go back and win) that would change the way we look at ut football over the past 10,20,30 years?
68 Orange Bowl. Late Missed FG would have won game and made UTs case for national championship. That one still hurts

That LSU championship game is my personal #2. From the day it happened until the day I die for me the Gaffney "no catch" catch game is the redo for me.

Ditto Remy! I was at that SECG and it was painful, and I watched “The JaBurgular” steal one from us on the no catch while I was In Hawaii. Tough games to stomach for sure.

Reactions: Remy
This was the beginning of the end. We win that game and Fulmer May have been able to continue that run. It was a catastrophic loss.
I've always thought that loss was a little overblown. That 2001 Miami team likely beats us in the next game.

68 Orange Bowl. Late Missed FG would have won game and made UTs case for national championship. That one still hurts
Didn't they crown national champs before the bowls back then?

Yeah. I’m sure this will be a top choice because we would have headed to the rose bowl but that Miami team was very good. What if we got blown out? What that still be better that beating Michigan bad in the citrus?

the '85 Miami Sugar Bowl team was pretty good too...see how that turned out...:D

GO VOLS...RECRUIT LIKE HECK!

I'm 100% on board with 2001 SECCG. 2001 SECCG cemented Nick Saban's ascent and marked the end of Tennessee's "decade of dominance." Not to mention I think Tennessee was far and away the best candidate to take on Miami that year (and Florida was #3 after us).

Beyond that, 1999 Arkansas because Tennessee would have probably had a shot at the title. 1997 Nebraska because Tennessee would have split the national title instead of Nebraska and also added a little more weight to the whole Charles Woodson fiasco.

Tennessee wouldn't have split with a win over Nebraska. If UT had won, Michigan would have won the title outright.

Reactions: livefaith
I still say the 1980 Ga game. 1st and goal from the 1 with less than 2 mins left and Ford fumbles. Ga wins 16-15 and wins a NC. Vols tank (losing a 2nd heartbreaker the next week to SoCal).

I'll agree! In the stands for both of those games. Matter of fact, was sitting with my sister a UGA student at the time with her future husband also a UGA student, right straight down the goal line. I remember because it struck me at the time I was perfectly right down the line. Then Glen Ford goes right over the top and easily breaks the plane and then thrown back with the ref looking right at it and they said he didn't cross. I couldn't believe it! Then, he fumbles on the next play. It would have been 22-0 at the half. Out comes Herschel Walker in the second half and he was a man above boys and I mean big time!

USC the next week and Steve Alatorre throwing a pass into the flat with 3 dbs and the interception killed what would have been a last second Fuad Reveiz field goal to win the game. Southern Cal ends up with the last second field goal. What could have been! The first time I've seen an 0-2 ranked no. 20 in the polls!

If you only get one redo, use it on a game that would have changed the course of an entire season. The Gaffney no catch game, as sucky as that was, wouldn't have changed that season. We still would've had 2 SEC losses and wouldn't have played in the SECCG.

1997 Florida or 2001 SECCG are it for me. If we beat Florida in 1997, we're playing for the title, without a doubt (that was pre-BCS and was technically the national title game). If we beat LSU in 2001 in Atlanta, we're playing for the title.

That would have been 3 SEC titles in 5 years and 3 (technically) national title appearances in 5 years. Looking back on it, something "felt" different about the program after that game. It's like it was never quite the same after that, and Richt's arrival at Georgia had a lot to do with it too.

A bit against the grain, but I suggest the 2000 Florida game. Jabar Gaffney was credited with an end zone catch that was clearly dropped. The call was by the toxic Al Matthews (Vandy) and had replay been an option it would have been overturned without question. It changed the momentum for the rest of the season and led to problems down the road.

The 96 Memphis game would be intriguing. I think there’s a good chance that would’ve put us in the sugar bowl vs FSU instead of Florida. If so, we have a good shot of beating them for a title.

There's no way that a 1 loss UT team would have got to the Sugar Bowl over a 1 loss SEC champion UF after UF beat us in Knoxville......

Another offseason topic. I have watched UT games since the 80’s majors years and all of our coaches since then have lost (blown) games they should have won, sometimes easily. Out of all the blown games, which one hurts the most? If you could go back in time and ‘re-play’ just one game, which one would it be and how do you think that would have changed the outcome of our season?

90 bama game? One of the 93-97/99 Florida games? 2015 or 2017 Florida Hail Mary games? 1996 Memphis? 99 Arkansas? 2001 Georgia or LSU game? 2015 Oklahoma? Just a few of many examples? Do you think there is one game (if we could go back and win) that would change the way we look at ut football over the past 10,20,30 years?

The lose to LSU in the SEC
Yeah. I’m sure this will be a top choice because we would have headed to the rose bowl but that Miami team was very good. What if we got blown out? What that still be better that beating Michigan bad in the citrus?

championship game in the early 2000's. To me, we have never recovered from that embarrassment.

Hay man!!! It was for the Rose Bowl, a shot at the NC. That team could have played with anyone. Yes lost to some, but it was for an event of a lifetime for the players, the fans and the school. Pissed it away.......

There's no way that a 1 loss UT team would have got to the Sugar Bowl over a 1 loss SEC champion UF after UF beat us in Knoxville......
I think you may be wrong. We would most likely have moved to number 2 in the polls after UF lost their last regular season game. I remember they wanted to have anyone else but Fla since they had just lost to them. I think if their had been any other option they would not have let Florida play them. We only ended up losing that game by 6 points to Fla and it was the third game of the season. Everyone else lost at the end of the season that year that could be considered.

I think you may be wrong. We would most likely have moved to number 2 in the polls after UF lost their last regular season game. I remember they wanted to have anyone else but Fla since they had just lost to them. I think if their had been any other option they would not have let Florida play them. We only ended up losing that game by 6 points to Fla and it was the third game of the season. Everyone else lost at the end of the season that year that could be considered.

Yeah but come on, we were killed by UF. And our last TD was basically a garbage TD. That game wasn't nearly as close as the final score.

Reactions: BigOrangeMojo
We beat a one loss Ohio St. team that had AA's Eddie George and Terry Glenn (1444 yds rec, 17 TD), QB Bobby Hoying and a great D lead by Shawn Springs and Mike Vrabel. We had a great shot to win a Natty that year if we don't fall apart in the swamp. If we had a 4 team playoff, we might have won it anyway.

And don't forget they had future #1 draft pick, College and NFL Hall of Famer Orlando Pace. That was a STACKED Ohio State team the Vols defeated that day, some future All Pros, SB Champions and a number of guys who also had decent NFL careers

Last edited:

VN Store

Back