Re-do on blown game

PhoenixAZVol

Another offseason topic. I have watched UT games since the 80’s majors years and all of our coaches since then have lost (blown) games they should have won, sometimes easily. Out of all the blown games, which one hurts the most? If you could go back in time and ‘re-play’ just one game, which one would it be and how do you think that would have changed the outcome of our season?

90 bama game? One of the 93-97/99 Florida games? 2015 or 2017 Florida Hail Mary games? 1996 Memphis? 99 Arkansas? 2001 Georgia or LSU game? 2015 Oklahoma? Just a few of many examples? Do you think there is one game (if we could go back and win) that would change the way we look at ut football over the past 10,20,30 years?

Reactions: 05_never_again
Without a doubt the LSU SEC championship game.

Yeah. I’m sure this will be a top choice because we would have headed to the rose bowl but that Miami team was very good. What if we got blown out? What that still be better that beating Michigan bad in the citrus?

Reactions: savannahfan
A lot of people forget about 99. Yes we lost to Florida but people forget that we moved up to the #2 BCS ranking before the Arkansas game because Florida lost to bama. All we had to do was win that game and we would have maintained the #2 slot dice Florida lost again to bama in the secchg. We would have had a rematch against a much better Florida state team though.

I'm 100% on board with 2001 SECCG. 2001 SECCG cemented Nick Saban's ascent and marked the end of Tennessee's "decade of dominance." Not to mention I think Tennessee was far and away the best candidate to take on Miami that year (and Florida was #3 after us).

Beyond that, 1999 Arkansas because Tennessee would have probably had a shot at the title. 1997 Nebraska because Tennessee would have split the national title instead of Nebraska and also added a little more weight to the whole Charles Woodson fiasco.

That LSU championship game is my personal #2. From the day it happened until the day I die for me the Gaffney "no catch" catch game is the redo for me.

Yup. But I think we had two other losses that year. Georgia was one. Would a Florida win that year have taken us to the seccg?

My #2 was loss to gators in '95. Vols, w/Manning @ QB were up 30-14 nearing halftime. Then, we just crumbled, losing 62-37. That was the only loss that season. We beat a one loss Ohio St. team that had AA's Eddie George and Terry Glenn (1444 yds rec, 17 TD), QB Bobby Hoying and a great D lead by Shawn Springs and Mike Vrabel. We had a great shot to win a Natty that year if we don't fall apart in the swamp. If we had a 4 team playoff, we might have won it anyway.

Yup. But I think we had two other losses that year. Georgia was one. Would a Florida win that year have taken us to the seccg?

We beat Florida the week before the SECCG, at Florida, in a win so astounding it whipped Steve Spurrier straight into resigning as Florida's football coach. It kicked the tires a little on the whole "play Florida later in the year" thing.

Another offseason topic. I have watched UT games since the 80’s majors years and all of our coaches since then have lost (blown) games they should have won, sometimes easily. Out of all the blown games, which one hurts the most? If you could go back in time and ‘re-play’ just one game, which one would it be and how do you think that would have changed the outcome of our season?

90 bama game? One of the 93-97/99 Florida games? 2015 or 2017 Florida Hail Mary games? 1996 Memphis? 99 Arkansas? 2001 Georgia or LSU game? 2015 Oklahoma? Just a few of many examples? Do you think there is one game (if we could go back and win) that would change the way we look at ut football over the past 10,20,30 years?

Any game that had consequences to it. Such as the Kentucky game in Dooley last season. That loss cost us a bowl game
Last season's South Carolina game, cost us a bowl game
SECCG against LSU cost us a National Championship game.
Loss to Florida, likely cost Peyton the Heisman trophy.

Reactions: minorvol
I still say the 1980 Ga game. 1st and goal from the 1 with less than 2 mins left and Ford fumbles. Ga wins 16-15 and wins a NC. Vols tank (losing a 2nd heartbreaker the next week to SoCal).

Everyone remembers it for Hershel coming out party but it’s still a game Vols had under control until Bates fumbles a punt in 3rd qtr.

My #2 was loss to gators in '95. Vols, w/Manning @ QB were up 30-14 nearing halftime. Then, we just crumbled, losing 62-37. That was the only loss that season. We beat a one loss Ohio St. team that had AA's Eddie George and Terry Glenn (1444 yds rec, 17 TD), QB Bobby Hoying and a great D lead by Shawn Springs and Mike Vrabel. We had a great shot to win a Natty that year if we don't fall apart in the swamp. If we had a 4 team playoff, we might have won it anyway.
Doesn't matter, no one was beating that Nebraska team of 95.

That LSU championship game is my personal #2. From the day it happened until the day I die for me the Gaffney "no catch" catch game is the redo for me.

That game was frustrating on many levels beside the "no catch"....can't beat UF by kicking FG's and the inability to get a 1st down when needed and allowing UF to drive all the way downfield after an outstanding punt.

The 96 Memphis game would be intriguing. I think there’s a good chance that would’ve put us in the sugar bowl vs FSU instead of Florida. If so, we have a good shot of beating them for a title.

Reactions: DAVOL and FLVOL_79
Without a doubt the LSU SEC championship game.

This!! If we win that game we had more than enough talent to have beaten Miami and won the NC. Outside of Casey Clausen, that was a team that was still celebrating the Florida win. We knocked Rohan Davey out of the game and still got beat by the back up. For Vol Fans we've seen that story play out way too many times. Top to bottom that team was better than the '98 Championship Team. We had a roster full of future NFL players. We haven't been the same since. One of several missed opportunities for Fulmer.

Reactions: igotworms
This!! If we win that game we had more than enough talent to have beaten Miami and won the NC. Outside of Casey Clausen, that was a team that was still celebrating the Florida win. We knocked Rohan Davey out of the game and still got beat by the back up. For Vol Fans we've seen that story play out way too many times. Top to bottom that team was better than the '98 Championship Team. We had a roster full of future NFL players. We haven't been the same since. One of several missed opportunities for Fulmer.
We had a lot of talent in ‘01, that Miami team was unreal though. Would’ve been a huge upset if we’d won had we gotten there.

Reactions: 08Vol

Second.

Reactions: TC 83
We beat Florida the week before the SECCG, at Florida, in a win so astounding it whipped Steve Spurrier straight into resigning as Florida's football coach. It kicked the tires a little on the whole "play Florida later in the year" thing.

Right. I was referring to the gaffney catch/drop which was 2000. Think we had a total of three losses that year including Florida.

VN Store

Back