Raoul just tweeted that Kelly Harper is the new Lady Vol coach if she wants the job.

Who cares? She's also an excellent coach. Not saying that's who I want, but I certainly wouldn't eliminate her just because she is a "hothead" who likes to drop "F-bombs".

Both Harper and Walz are way more hotheaded if you ask me. And I don’t think that’s a bad thing. Dawn is passionate about the game and that’s obvious. I would love to have a coach that passionate on Rocky Top again.

Hire will not be this weekend. Just do not see it, unless Phil has already done his work knowing what he would do. I really think the Candy loss sealed CHW's doom as Phil hates to lose to them in any sport.

I said earlier, I would choose between Kellie and Ivey(my favorite) after interviews. But after watching Kellie's game Saturday, she never adjusted to Stanford packing it in. She kept going inside or allowed the guards to drive inside against Stanford size and were blocked or tossed up prayers. TOO MANY WASTED ATTEMPTS AND NO POINTS. She should have set screens and just banged away at the 3s.
Come on - the athletes she was working with weren't even comparable to Stanford.

So Walz is my first choice...and I'm sure on the top of every ADs list of "coaches I want if my coach is gone"
But at the end of the day if we end up with someone that is tough on discipline, works hard, coaches the team, and has a fire instead of a wet sack on the sideline i would be good with it.

Both Harper and Walz are way more hotheaded if you ask me. And I don’t think that’s a bad thing. Dawn is passionate about the game and that’s obvious. I would love to have a coach that passionate on Rocky Top again.
Just me but if I got to pay out big bucks to dawn then I go with walz ! Never liked her brashness and demeaner myself.

I have not seen Kellie as a hothead but not saying she is not.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Looks like you're happy with mediocrity. Dawn Staley would be a grand slam hire. A VFL does not equal success. ie....Holly Warlick.
You want Walz, a great choice, I get that, but nothing about Kellie Harper is mediocre. Read her Wikipedia and her NCST bio at the bottom of that, and learn about her. She is smart, tenacious, tough, experienced, a Winner.
She graduated high school 3rd in her class. She was a 5 time All American and 3 time MVP in her 8 year AAU career, when her team won 3 Gold Medals and 3 Silver Medals.
She played point guard at Tennessee, when they won 3 National Championships. She got a degree in mathematics, and was a 3 time Academic All SEC Honoree.
Harper was Assistant Coach on Wes Moore’s UTC team when they won 3 consecutive SoCon Championships.
In 5 years as Coach of Western Carolina, Kellie’s team went to 3 Southern Conference Tournament Finals, winning 2 of them. “Western Carolina had never won the league tourney before Harper’s tenure.” The team also went twice to the WNIT, and twice to the NCAA Tournament. Harper coached 7 players to 11 All Conference selections. From 2006-2009, her teams were ranked in the WBCA Academic Top 25.
Before KH arrived at NCST, their 2008/2009 record was 13-17, 5-9 in conference. Harper’s first NCST team became the 2nd team in league history to win 3 games in 3 days to make the Finals of the ACC Conference Tournament. In the next 3 years, she “directed her program to wins over the 11 other clubs in the ACC, something only Duke and North Carolina have accomplished in that time frame.” In 2012, NCST beat Duke in the quarterfinals of the ACC Conference Tournament, becoming the first 9th seed to ever beat the number 1 seed in the ACC Tournament. She was fired by Yow’s sister after her 4th year.
KH is now in her 6th year at Missouri State. They won 2 Conference Tournament Championships, and have gone twice to the WNIT, and twice to the NCAA Tournament. This year they beat #20 in the country, Drake, to win the Conference Championship, then in the NCAA, beat #18 in the country, DePaul, and then the #11 team in the country, Iowa State, who came in 2nd in the Big 12 Conference behind Baylor. They lost in the Sweet Sixteen to #4 in the country, Stanford, 55-46, after holding Stanford to 28 points in the first half.
Someone on VN said it’s not a big deal to get to the Sweet Sixteen once in 15 years of coaching. They’re right, it’s a huge deal to get there with a “ Mid Major” team, and almost win, too. Stanford is an elite team, they have the #2 recruiting class in the country coming next year. Their roster is full of highly rated recruits, and their Coach has won a National Championship.
Kellie Harper’s accomplishments, records set, lists of awards as a player and a Coach are too numerous to list here.
She has been named Coach of the Year in 2 different Conferences.
She is one of only 11 Coaches ever, to take teams from 3 different schools to the NCAA Tournament.
Kellie Harper is in her High School Hall of Fame, and the Lady Vols Hall of Fame.
Mediocre? No way.

You want Walz, a great choice, I get that, but nothing about Kellie Harper is mediocre. Read her Wikipedia and her NCST bio at the bottom of that, and learn about her. She is smart, tenacious, tough, experienced, a Winner.
She graduated high school 3rd in her class. She was a 5 time All American and 3 time MVP in her 8 year AAU career, when her team won 3 Gold Medals and 3 Silver Medals.
She played point guard at Tennessee, when they won 3 National Championships. She got a degree in mathematics, and was a 3 time Academic All SEC Honoree.
Harper was Assistant Coach on Wes Moore’s UTC team when they won 3 consecutive SoCon Championships.
In 5 years as Coach of Western Carolina, Kellie’s team went to 3 Southern Conference Tournament Finals, winning 2 of them. “Western Carolina had never won the league tourney before Harper’s tenure.” The team also went twice to the WNIT, and twice to the NCAA Tournament. Harper coached 7 players to 11 All Conference selections. From 2006-2009, her teams were ranked in the WBCA Academic Top 25.
Before KH arrived at NCST, their 2008/2009 record was 13-17, 5-9 in conference. Harper’s first NCST team became the 2nd team in league history to win 3 games in 3 days to make the Finals of the ACC Conference Tournament. In the next 3 years, she “directed her program to wins over the 11 other clubs in the ACC, something only Duke and North Carolina have accomplished in that time frame.” In 2012, NCST beat Duke in the quarterfinals of the ACC Conference Tournament, becoming the first 9th seed to ever beat the number 1 seed in the ACC Tournament. She was fired by Yow’s sister after her 4th year.
KH is now in her 6th year at Missouri State. They won 2 Conference Tournament Championships, and have gone twice to the WNIT, and twice to the NCAA Tournament. This year they beat #20 in the country, Drake, to win the Conference Championship, then in the NCAA, beat #18 in the country, DePaul, and then the #11 team in the country, Iowa State, who came in 2nd in the Big 12 Conference behind Baylor. They lost in the Sweet Sixteen to #4 in the country, Stanford, 55-46, after holding Stanford to 28 points in the first half.
Someone on VN said it’s not a big deal to get to the Sweet Sixteen once in 15 years of coaching. They’re right, it’s a huge deal to get there with a “ Mid Major” team, and almost win, too. Stanford is an elite team, they have the #2 recruiting class in the country coming next year. Their roster is full of highly rated recruits, and their Coach has won a National Championship.
Kellie Harper’s accomplishments, records set, lists of awards as a player and a Coach are too numerous to list here.
She is one of only 11 Coaches ever, to take teams from 3 different schools to the NCAA Tournament.
Kellie Harper is in her High School Hall of Fame, and the Lady Vols Hall of Fame.
Mediocre? No way.
Yep and many of these yahoos did not Kellie Jolly Harper from a rats arse until holly was fired! Most still wet behind the ears!

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Kellie is not the best choice for this program, and doubt she’s in the top three choices. I’m pretty sure Phil is fishing in a bigger pond.
I could see Kelley Jolly Harper as a candidate for the Louisville head coaching job if Tennessee hired Jeff Walz. I could see Kellie Jolly Harper as a candidate for the Texas head coaching job which will be open in the not too distant future.

Reactions: LVsinceJV
Mediocre? No way.

I was living in Raleigh when KH got ran out by Yow. Yes her 2012 team beat Duke the ACC tourney, but only one of her 4 NC State teams (09-10) went to the NCAA and that team lost in the first round. Her conference record in her last two years at NC State was 5-11 and 7-11. Granted, her last few years at Missouri St is impressive and it shows how she's grown as a coach. If she gets the job I hope that's the case.

Kellie is not the best choice for this program, and doubt she’s in the top three choices. I’m pretty sure Phil is fishing in a bigger pond.
Yes you are entitled to your opinion like Tom Dick and Harry! I know you were not talking to me directly but I have never said on any board that Kellie is the best candidate for this job. Maybe top 5 but I will bet Philip will give her a call as a courtesy. Many will not agree with me but who he hires for this job will be nearly as important as him hiring Pruitt!! Both will show up in his legacy and remember he was not the first choice for being the AD until Currie shot in his pants. Phil got close to Beverly Davenport as an assistant and the rest is history. She was as worthless as tits on a boar hog. JMHO as always!

Mediocre? No way.
If that's what Wikipedia says, it must be true...

Yep and many of these yahoos did not Kellie Jolly Harper from a rats arse until holly was fired! Most still wet behind the ears!
Yeah that’s true. I was one of the ones who had mentioned her during the year being a good candidate even before the tournament. I was sold before, but obviously their sweet 16 run made me believe even more strongly.

Harper? Hot-headed?

???????????????????????????????????????

(Insert head-scratching icon).

Staley can coach all right, but she usually looks as though she's just chewed up a bushel of lemons.

I can't see any of Dawn's players ever bucking her authority.

VN Store

Back