Raoul just tweeted that Kelly Harper is the new Lady Vol coach if she wants the job.

Of course Harper will get an interview...Getting the job is another story...Her win/loss record is nothing to brag about...I am hoping they end up getting Jeff Walz but who knows at this point...UT is notorious for going the cheap route when it comes to head coaches so we'll see.

Hogwash

Since 2000, 20 Patriots have been arrested compared to 17 on the Cowboys. Not much difference, and both teams have had fewer players get in trouble compared to most of the league. The range is 13 (Houston) to 49 (Minnesota). Hernandez is one of three who have been convicted of murder.

You may end up looking back and thinking "dangit I can't believe Rudy got me to spend time looking up stats". It's happened to all of us. (Not Rudy, but there's a somebody for everybody haha)

Reactions: cabbie191
Of course Harper will get an interview...Getting the job is another story...Her win/loss record is nothing to brag about...I am hoping they end up getting Jeff Walz but who knows at this point...UT is notorious for going the cheap route when it comes to head coaches so we'll see.

That used to be true in some areas, but it is trending differently since the new AD took over and the university got called on the carpet by fans. The previous administrations would hire Butch, Dooley, and Raleigh (I just threw up a little typing that), so yes they went cheap up front, but then when it became clear that they had made terrible hires their first response was to handcuff the department for years with gawdawful monstrous buyouts. It was completely backward, but now thank goodness there are adults in charge.

ETA: I think part of the cheap hire tend was started when Hammy struck it rich with Pearl. After that, they seemed to be obsessed with finding the next diamond in the rough and paying them as if they were already successful. Having an AD that's a beancounter and fundraiser was always going to end up with us going cheap, but I think Pearl's success only emboldened them to charge faster at that windmill.

Reactions: Smallvol#1
That used to be true in some areas, but it is trending differently since the new AD took over and the university got called on the carpet by fans. The previous administrations would hire Butch, Dooley, and Raleigh (I just threw up a little typing that), so yes they went cheap up front, but then when it became clear that they had made terrible hires their first response was to handcuff the department for years with gawdawful monstrous buyouts. It was completely backward, but now thank goodness there are adults in charge.

ETA: I think part of the cheap hire tend was started when Hammy struck it rich with Pearl. After that, they seemed to be obsessed with finding the next diamond in the rough and paying them as if they were already successful. Having an AD that's a beancounter and fundraiser was always going to end up with us going cheap, but I think Pearl's success only emboldened them to charge faster at that windmill.

I don’t agree. I don’t think we’ve ever hired a coach that was considered elite. We’ve gotten lucky on a couple.

Johnny Majors was considered elite when Tennessee hired him as head football coach in December 1976

I would put Rick Barnes in that class as well. For a long time we were a school that grew our own coaches. Successful programs tend to do that. It was when we started looking at mid-majors and little schools trying to find a diamond that it seemed to go south.

Not sure exactly what @orangefloyd was referring to, since I didn't say we hired "elite" coaches in the past. That word gives me the impression of going out and finding an established top tier coach and sliding them over to our school. Which is exactly what should be happening right now with the Lady Vols. But by making cheap hires I was referring to scouring the lower ranks looking to get lucky, as opposed to rolling the dice on home-grown talent as we had done for so long.

Wasn't Doug Dicky an elite hire he had done well at florida I think.
Doug Dickey was considered an up and coming assistant coach from Arkansas. Then Auburn assistant coach Vince Dooley was also a candidate for the Tennessee head coaching job along with Doug DIckey in December 1963.

Last edited:
Harper? Hot-headed?

???????????????????????????????????????

(Insert head-scratching icon).

Staley can coach all right, but she usually looks as though she's just chewed up a bushel of lemons.

I can't see any of Dawn's players ever bucking her authority.
She is the only coach that has a ring as a SEC power.

I mean, he's no idiot. Do you think coaches are dumb enough to do their dirty deeds in public? It's called being "shady" for a reason. lol

I mean, Maya Moore's mom went from living in the projects in Georgia to living in a gated community in Connecticut. There's no "proof" of anything out in the open but if it talks, walks and acts like a duck, it's a duck.

The thing with Candace was reported to the UT staff by Candace who turned it over to the NCAA. That's one of the things that Deerpark was talking about in another thread.

I don't know that he cheats to get recruits at Louisville. You don't have to be outright cheating to be a slimeball. The thing about Cedes' teammate doesn't need "proof". It happened. lol There is no more to the situation. He did something that isn't against NCAA rules but morally it's crap to pull a scholarship offer a week before signing day after the player has committed to you. To be fair, Muffet also offered Kaela Davis' teammate, Kristina Nelson, a scholarship in an attempt to get her to come, but at least when Kaela didn't come (and Nelson had already committed) she honored the scholarship, even though Nelson rode the bench almost all of her career. Kevin McGuff not only got Kelsey Mitchell's twin sister, Chelsea, on the team, he gave her dad an assistant coaching position despite him being like a middle school coach or something like that prior to OSU. When the sisters were gone, so was the dad. He gave Tori McCoy's twin sister a scholarship to get her. (Didn't work out for him. They both transferred.) Andy Landers did the same for Tasha Humphery's mom, who was also gone when her daughter's eligibility was gone.

I'm not sure what 'proof' you want about any of this. It either happened or it didn't. What do you want? A powerpoint presentation?

I don't know where you got that Kaela Davis/ND urban legend from. Kristina Nelson was recruited by ND because they were desperate for size at the time. ND turned away Rebecca Greenwell because they wanted bigger players they were told. I'm not going to knock young women but lets just say Kaela Davis and Notre Dame would have been oil and water for a variety of reasons. There was never any mutual interest. Just a lot of assumptions because Nelson and Davis were on the same high school team.

“Pat would want a Lady Vol to coach the team” or “It would be a slap in the face to Pat’s legacy if UT hired a man” or some variant of that I keep seeing.

Pay hand picked the last coach that checked all the boxes for the legacy folks. How’d that work out?
I get what you are saying, but Pat's not picking this coach Phil is. I don't know if KJH is the right one but I also don't know if she's not. She may be on the verge of becoming an elite coach and she may fall flat on her face time will tell

Last edited:
Reactions: madtownvol
I don't know where you got that Kaela Davis/ND urban legend from. Kristina Nelson was recruited by ND because they were desperate for size at the time. ND turned away Rebecca Greenwell because they wanted bigger players they were told. I'm not going to knock young women but lets just say Kaela Davis and Notre Dame would have been oil and water for a variety of reasons. There was never any mutual interest. Just a lot of assumptions because Nelson and Davis were on the same high school team.

Agreed and if I remember correctly Nelson rode the bench most of her career due to nagging injuries. She stepped up big for them multiple times when it counted though.

Nothing personal toward anyone and please forgive me for being a little irritable this morning but I have lived in the South and Southwest for over sixty years and I have never met anyone I would consider a weak woman. I'm sure we will hire a "strong woman" (if we hire a woman). It's just one of those just-talking-not-really-thinking phrases like "sustainable" that I would get rid of if I could. Again my apologies.
If she can bench press her weight hire her!

If she can bench press her weight hire her!
WaryHelplessImago-size_restricted.gif

No. She is a good coach BUT Tennessee Lady Vols recruit Upper Class or Middle Class ladies
Look at who Dawn recruits......
Different kind of players
Kinda like looking at type of players Dallas signs vs type of players New England signs
Dallas has quiet a list of players while New England has Aaron Hernandez
That is crazy and ridiculous. Where you’re from should dictate your future? If I’m not mistaken, one of the greatest LVFL ever, Chamique Holdsclaw grew up in the projects. How’d she work out? Te’a Cooper & Diamond DeSheilds grew up in affluent homes and how’d they work out? 🙄

Reactions: Smallvol#1

The fact that there was no 'mutual interest' doesn't change what I said. And she and her family certain let on like there was mutual interest for a while.

Yes, it would've been oil and water. Mostly b/c her mama be crazy and that wouldn't have jived well with Muffet.

Tennessee would do well if Kellie can coach close to the level Pat did;) I hope one day the Tennessee women's basketball program can return to this level:cool:

I enjoyed the game replay ... I noticed a few things of interest !

First . A young Mulkey on the bench as an assistant coach ? Still dressing loud with outfits that draw attention! 😁

A young Holly on the bench soaking up knowledge..... LIKE

Pat calling a time out when the other team made a little run against us.... like six points at one time while we did not score ! Did I mention that we had a twenty three point lead at the time and Pat was not having any of this slacking off .... even when ahead !!!!
Maybe Holly has been waiting on us to get a twenty three point lead before she will call a time out ??? 😈

Pat also got in the face and confronted poor play from Holdsclaw and Randal ? Anyway a couple of the Meeks ! Again with a twenty point lead ...... STILL DEMANDING PLAYERS PLAY WITH EFFORT NO EXCUSES! And of course the STARE !!!! I sure miss those days !

VN Store

Back