Ranking the SEC towns

iu

Writer must have attended Columbia with a Fayetteville graduate school follow-up to rank either of those over Knoxville. I'll hide my Vol bias and when talking about party towns give you Nashville and agree that Athens is comparable to Knoxville on game day.......but Columbia and Fayetville? ....C'mon man!!!!

Here's my thoughts:

Nashville, Baton Rouge, Lexington, Columbia, SC and Knoxville are not college towns. I've been to all 9 so here are my thoughts:

1. Oxford
2. Athens
3. Fayetteville
4. Auburn
5. Tuscaloosa
6. College Station
7. Gainesville
8. Columbia, MO
9. Starkville

Here's my thoughts:

Nashville, Baton Rouge, Lexington, Columbia, SC and Knoxville are not college towns. I've been to all 9 so here are my thoughts:

1. Oxford
2. Athens
3. Fayetteville
4. Auburn
5. Tuscaloosa
6. College Station
7. Gainesville
8. Columbia, MO
9. Starkville
Probably true

Here's my thoughts:

1. Oxford
2. Athens
3. Fayetteville
4. Auburn
5. Tuscaloosa
6. College Station
7. Gainesville
8. Columbia, MO
9. Starkville

Baton Rouge and Knoxville aren't college towns? Okay..............

Baton Rouge and Knoxville aren't college towns? Okay..............

A college town is one where the university makes up the town/jobs. The 5 cities I listed do not fall into that criteria because state capital (BR, Nashville, Columbia SC) or because they are predominant city in 500K+ metropolitan area (Knox, Lex)

If you take the colleges out of the 5 cities excluded, those would still be cities. If you take it out of the other 9, they'd be lucky to have a WalMart

I don't get the issues people have with Columbia, MO. I didn't see anything wrong with it.

With so many empty restaurant buildings, places like Sam & Andy's, Vic & Bills closing leaving mostly national chain restaurants and everything else being turned into apartments, the Strip isn't what it once was either.

I don't get the issues people have with Columbia, MO. I didn't see anything wrong with it.

With so many empty restaurant buildings, places like Sam & Andy's, Vic & Bills closing leaving mostly national chain restaurants and everything else being turned into apartments, the Strip isn't what it once was either.

Columbia is just blah, IMO. If the writer didn't have an obvious bias, then it'd be one thing. I find it similar to Tuscaloosa and Gainesville without the ummm, scenery...

Reactions: k-town_king
Here's my thoughts:

1. Oxford
2. Athens
3. Fayetteville
4. Auburn
5. Tuscaloosa
6. College Station
7. Gainesville
8. Columbia, MO
9. Starkville
I like that top 5.

Reactions: BigOrangeMojo
If Auburn was not in the Town, it would still be a cow pasture.
True story... I was going down the road several months ago listening to a conference call and zoned out. I got off the call and thought to myself "Where am I?" as I came into a town. Seconds later I see a massive stadium and realize it's Jordan-Hare and I'm in Auburn.

I have always thought of Auburn as a suburb of Columbus, GA. Maybe there is a bit more distance than appears, and I have not spend any appreciable amount of time in Auburn. It just seems like you leave one and enter the other.

This is old news (July 26, 2019). It was done before the start of last season and it has already made the rounds on here at least once before.

Pick um:
Tier 1 (1-3): Knoxville, Nashville, Athens
Tier 2 (4-7): Fayetteville, Oxford, Auburn, College Station
Tier 3 (8-12): Lexington, Columbia, Columbia, Baton Rouge, Tuscaloosa
Bottom Feeders (13-14): Starkvegas and Gainesville

Pick um:
Tier 1 (1-3): Knoxville, Nashville, Athens
Tier 2 (4-7): Fayetteville, Oxford, Auburn, College Station
Tier 3 (8-12): Lexington, Columbia, Columbia, Baton Rouge, Tuscaloosa
Bottom Feeders (13-14): Starkvegas and Gainesville
I might have to move Lexington up due to its close proximity to Gods chosen beverage - Bourbon.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back