Ranking every SEC head coaching job by destination

The list is probably about accurate, but I also think these sorts of lists are kind of pointless. The difference between #1 and #6 on this list is pretty small. With a slight change in circumstances with the top 6 or 7 programs, you could argue that any of these teams could be #1.

I would give an edge to Florida, Georgia, LSU, and A&M based on recruiting, but we've seen all those programs have down periods, too. None of these schools are immune to a poor AD or poor coach.

'In-state talent: Tennessee, as a state, is nowhere near the league’s top talent producers, but the Volunteers generally have their pick of the lot on what has been a decent state for recruiting in recent seasons.'

It is amazing how much that has changed in the last decade. We are nowhere near Georgia, Florida, or the Carolinas talent wise but we are climbing the ladder at a fast pace.

Tuscaloosa is an hour each way from Birmingham and Birmingham isn't exactly a great city. Furthermore, to say that Alabama has a "healthy" amount of top recruits isn't honest. They usually have a couple more than Tennessee who the writers note have a lack of in state talent.

Until the last couple of years, Alabama was producing many more quality players than Tennessee. It remains to be seen if recents years mark a trend or a fluke.

Until the last couple of years, Alabama was producing many more quality players than Tennessee. It remains to be seen if recents years mark a trend or a fluke.
I got to agree with this. During the Fulmer years we poached some of our best talent out of north and central Alabama.

Oh, you're right about me being a homer, heh. :)

But as to the in-state talent, consider this...

Name the 10 biggest play-making studs on the Vols roster today. Go ahead, jot them down. Don't peek ahead...

Ok, compare your list to this one: Barnett, Dobbs, Hurd, Maggitt, Reeves-Maybin, Sutton, Howard, North, Pearson, Randolph, Medley, Wolf, Robertson -- I tossed in a few extra, to increase the chance of your 10 being covered.

Pretty close to the same?

Now check this out:
  • Barnett - Tennessee
  • Dobbs - Georgia
  • Hurd - Tennessee
  • Maggitt - Florida
  • Reeves-Maybin - Tennessee
  • Sutton - Georgia
  • Howard - Florida
  • North - North Carolina
  • Pearson - Virginia
  • Randolph - Georgia
  • Medley - Tennessee
  • Wolf - Ohio
  • Robertson - Tennessee
Final score of Vols key playmakers:
  • Tennessee = 5
  • Georgia = 3
  • Florida = 2
  • Virginia = 1
  • North Carolina = 1
  • Ohio = 1
I've even seen it mentioned twice in the past few weeks: Tennessee as a state is improving notably as a source of HS talent.

Go Vols!

Note also that all five of those Tennessee lads are from middle Tennessee. Although many Tennessee fans believe that Vanderbilt is not worthy of discussion, the increasing quantity and quality of prospects in the midstate area makes it imperative that Butch designate our annual game with the Black and Gold as a "search-and-destroy" mission, thereby making it crystal clear that the obvious destination for elite midstate prospects is Knoxville.

Reactions: 1 person
These ranking are mostly based upon who is winning, had this been done in the late 90's, Bama would NOT be #1! UT would be much higher.

It still amazes me that the last team in the SEC to win back to back SEC Titles was UT not LSU, Florida, Georgia, or Bama. Texas A&M has never won a SEC Title. For that reason alone the Vols should be higher than them.

Last edited:
These ranking are mostly based upon who is winning, had this been done in the late 90's, Bama would NOT be #1! UT would be much higher.

It still amazes me that the last team in the SEC to win back to back SEC Titles was UT not LSU, Florida, Georgia, or Bama. Texas A&M has never won a SEC Title. For that reason alone the Vols should be higher than them.

Pretty ridiculous actually.

So, because UT won back-to-back titles 17 years ago, and despite the fact that 5 different teams have won multiple SEC titles since then, UT should be considered a better job?

That is interesting logic.

Come on KB! You're better than this.

No one gave 2 shYts about Vandy prior to Franklin...and he's gone. They're back in the cellar where they belong.

No I'm not Boca....I'm not better than this. I've said virtually nothing about Vandy all off season....saw my chance and took it. 😁

The one thing none has said... It's not just the kids from Ga we have but the kids everyone else has too. As far as rankings Tennessee would be #2 behind alabubba wins, championships, bowl appearances....ect. As far as tradition.. In my opinion Tennessee has better tradition than anyone! Tennessee will never catch Ga and Fl because of population, youth organizations and youth sports complexes. Lots of people relocate to Ga for sports, youth and high school.

So, because UT won back-to-back titles 17 years ago, and despite the fact that 5 different teams have won multiple SEC titles since then, UT should be considered a better job?

That is interesting logic.

Yes, winning back to back titles is extremely difficult as evidenced by the fact that no one has done it since. Winning back to back titles is a sign of a dynasty. Spurrier won 4 straight at UF which completely amazing!! Winning 2 titles in 3, 4, 5 years is much easier than back to back.

UT is better than 6th in the SEC, probably no worse than 4th.

I'm not saying Bama shouldn't be ranked 1st, but in the mid to late 90's when UT and everyone else beat them like a drum, it would have been difficult to rank them as the top job. But, even when down, they are still one of the top jobs even if they can't win back to back SEC Titles.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Yes, winning back to back titles is extremely difficult as evidenced by the fact that no one has done it since. Winning back to back titles is a sign of a dynasty. Spurrier won 4 straight at UF which completely amazing!! Winning 2 titles in 3, 4, 5 years is much easier than back to back.

The parity across the league began around 2000. Back-to-back titles weren't uncommon at all until then. From the league's first year, the longest that the conference went without a back-to-back champion was 7 seasons ('56-'62). Now we've gone 16. So, while Tennessee is the most recent back-to-back winner, they aren't in any kind of select club.

The conference is on a different level since 2000 than it was in the 90s. And Tennessee hasn't exactly participated in the renaissance.

Name the 10 biggest play-making studs on the Vols roster today. Go ahead, jot them down. Don't peek ahead...

Ok, compare your list to this one: Barnett, Dobbs, Hurd, Maggitt, Reeves-Maybin, Sutton, Howard, North, Pearson, Randolph, Medley, Wolf, Robertson -- I tossed in a few extra, to increase the chance of your 10 being covered.

Now check this out:
  • Barnett - Tennessee
  • Dobbs - Georgia
  • Hurd - Tennessee
  • Maggitt - Florida
  • Sutton - Georgia
  • Howard - Florida
  • North - North Carolina
  • Pearson - Virginia
  • Randolph - Georgia
  • Medley - Tennessee
  • Wolf - Ohio
  • Robertson - Tennessee
  • Tennessee = 5
  • Georgia = 3
  • Florida = 2
  • Virginia = 1
  • North Carolina = 1
  • Ohio = 1
I've even seen it mentioned twice in the past few weeks: Tennessee as a state is improving notably as a source of HS talent.

Go Vols!

I think some of that is more attributable to us getting whoever we want from Tennessee. We get all or almost all of the top prospects from Tennessee because there are just a handful each year. Georgia has so many top notch athletes that all the surrounding states can come in and raid them. Georgia can't recruit all their in state guys like we can ours.

Here’s a definition of each of the categories we’re going to be grading the jobs on:

Location: The city/state in which the campus is located. Quality of life there for family, entertainment, etc.
Fan support: Amount of fans, fans ability to show up in the stands when things aren’t going well, etc.
Tradition/prestige: The clout the program carries based on its past accomplishments.
Stadium: Quality of the stadium, size of the stadium, crowd, and vibe of game day atmosphere.
In-state talent: The quality of high school recruits that are predisposed to come play for the football program.

Ranking every SEC head coaching job

It's a pretty accurate list IMO

It's won't be accurate after we win the SEC Title this Year and the National Title in 2016. We'll jet on up that list possibly as a high as # 2, where we were in 2001 after we beat the Gators in the Swamp. Go Vols!

The parity across the league began around 2000. Back-to-back titles weren't uncommon at all until then. From the league's first year, the longest that the conference went without a back-to-back champion was 7 seasons ('56-'62). Now we've gone 16. So, while Tennessee is the most recent back-to-back winner, they aren't in any kind of select club.

The conference is on a different level since 2000 than it was in the 90s. And Tennessee hasn't exactly participated in the renaissance.

Say what you want but, until Bama wins back to back SEC Titles, they aren't a dynasty. The last dynasties in the SEC were UT and UF from the 90's.

Reactions: 3 people
Say what you want but, until Bama wins back to back SEC Titles, they aren't a dynasty. The last dynasties in the SEC were UT and UF from the 90's.

We've had this conversation before. And I'm sure you will drop the same logic turd that you did the last time about how winning the SEC is harder than winning the national title.

Since it won't be any different, I'll pass this time. Have a good night.

We've had this conversation before. And I'm sure you will drop the same logic turd that you did the last time about how winning the SEC is harder than winning the national title.

You seem upset...wear your mouthguard. :wavey:

I feel like Tennessee is weighed down by the in-state talent level. One of those where we're Top 4 for everything, then like 10th in in-state talent.

That's rather decent of you, being a Bammer and all!

Now check this out:
  • Barnett - Tennessee
  • Dobbs - Georgia
  • Hurd - Tennessee
  • Maggitt - Florida
  • Sutton - Georgia
  • Howard - Florida
  • North - North Carolina
  • Pearson - Virginia
  • Randolph - Georgia
  • Medley - Tennessee
  • Wolf - Ohio
  • Robertson - Tennessee
  • Tennessee = 5
  • Georgia = 3
  • Florida = 2
  • Virginia = 1
  • North Carolina = 1
  • Ohio = 1

Go Vols!
Georgia produces 200 D1 players/year, and has had the most SEC players for the past 10 years in a row.

Georgia produces 200 D1 players/year, and has had the most SEC players for the past 10 years in a row.

We know. Why do you think we have so many players from Georgia on our roster? It's a huge part of our recruiting footprint.

We know. Why do you think we have so many players from Georgia on our roster? It's a huge part of our recruiting footprint.

Ah, my old friend KBVol. Great to hear from you again. I was simply responding to a post.

VN Store

Back