Rank UTs Best DC since Chavis

No, not really. If it was a joke, please explain. Yes, UT got it handed to them that day in The Grove. It happens.
Really? You see this is what’s wrong with the world nowadays, everyone gets upset or offended by everything. If I have to explain it to you than I’d rather not waste my time. Good night and bless your heart.

Reactions: P.O.T.S. VOL
Really? You see this is what’s wrong with the world nowadays, everyone gets upset or offended by everything. If I have to explain it to you than I’d rather not waste my time. Good night and bless your heart.
LULZ. You obviously don't know me. Monte is a defensive legend. Look at what he did vs, UF and Bama that season...the 2 best teams in the nation. I appreciate your blessings. Likewise.

I take a bit of flack in some threads for praising Wilcox's defenses, but they were stingy. We lost a lot of low scoring games in Dooley's first two years.

Reactions: NEO
I take a bit of flack in some threads for praising Wilcox's defenses, but they were stingy. We lost a lot of low scoring games in Dooley's first two years.

His defense bent a lot. But, it didn’t break very often. It was deceptively effective, I thought. You’d feel like you were getting walked on, but it never showed up on the scoreboard.

Reactions: SpookyAction
Tennessee is where DC's coaching careers goes to die...
I hate this reply. I can’t say you’re wrong but I certainly hope you are. To this point, you are not. Man we need some good coaching moving forward and it looks like we will have to find diamonds in the rough. As usual.

Very tough to rate them the top 4 due to radically different circumstances, but I'd probably agree with Wilcox, Kiffin, Jancek, and Shoop as the top 4.

And last place is a no-brainer: Sunseri. Probably one of the worst DCs in recent P5 history.

Jancek did an under-the-radar great job from '13 - '15.

Shoop got screwed by Butch, so tough to evaluate him. All the injuries Shoop had to deal with were due to Butch's mismanagement of S&C. Plus, Butch's 3-and-out no-huddle hurry-up offense of 2017 certainly did Shoop no favors. Shoop showed flashes of brilliance in '16, but feel like we never got to fully see the "real Shoop" due to Butch's failings.

One of the few times I bought the hype hook, line, and sinker. Epic fail. 🥴

As others have said, that was about Butch. It’s not a coincidence that Shoop has been great at every other stop. Butch had his fingerprints all over that failure.

Reactions: sjt18
How would you rate them?

1) Wilcox
2) Monte Kiffin
3) Jancek
4) Shoop
5) Sherrer
6) Ansley
7) Sunseri

1) Wilcox
2) jancek
3) kiffin

Monte had Eric berry and a very good D. He lost one game to poor scheming and a RB that walked through us like butter. Can't remember the team off hand though.

Jancek actually did quite well that year considering the talent he had.

The rest just sucked.

What Monte did with very, very little talent was pretty amazing. Wilcox would be a close second.

Didnt monte have EB and a pretty good D? Or am I just remembering them better than they were?

Shoop was abysmal
I still remember trying to figure out what that game plan was against Georgia Tech playing a yard and a half off of the line of scrimmage. I think we gave up about 500 yards rushing and somehow escaped .

Didnt monte have EB and a pretty good D? Or am I just remembering them better than they were?
He had Berry. I think he had one legit SEC DT. Wes Brown a natural DE with terrible knees played one DT spot. He got more production out of Montori Hughes than anyone else did. DE was thin too.

Over the course of the season he played LB's who would never see significant PT before or after that year. Guy's like Nigel Mitchell-Thorton. Outside of Berry the secondary was pretty bare. Rogan was probably the 2nd best DB on that team.... it dropped off pretty quick from there.

I think he just really had a knack for manipulating opposing OC's then putting his guys in a position to be successful.

Last edited:
Reactions: NEO
He had Berry. I think he had one legit SEC DT. Wes Brown a natural DE with terrible knees played on DT spot. Over the course of the season he played LB's who would never see significant PT before or after than year. He got more production out of Montori Hughes than anyone else did.

I think he just really had a knack for manipulating opposing OC's then putting his guys in a position to be successful.

I know we hung with Bama and FL and should never have been even in the game with Bama. The Ole Miss game just really left a sour feeling with how I view him I think.

I got into an argument post exchange with a well known member who claimed that the 10-7 loss to UK in 2011 was proof Wilcox sucks.
I feel like I can vent about that with this more realistic crew replying in this thread.
Still shaking my head at that idea.

How would you rate them?

1) Wilcox
2) Monte Kiffin
3) Jancek
4) Shoop
5) Sherrer
6) Ansley
7) Random fan.
8) Name from Knoxville phone book.
9) stalk of celery.
10) a rock.