Rank these 2019 opponents

Vols_74

Rank these 2019 opponents from toughest to easiest. These games will be the test of how well our season goes and I want to see what Volnation thinks about our opponents.

-Mississippi State
-Vanderbilt
-Kentucky
-Missouri
-South Carolina
-BYU
-Georgia State
-UAB
-Chattanooga

Rank these 2019 opponents from toughest to easiest. These games will be the test of how well our season goes and I want to see what Volnation thinks about our opponents.
1-Florida
5-Mississippi State
6-Vanderbilt
7-Kentucky
3-Missouri
4-South Carolina
2-BYU
9-Georgia State
8-UAB
10-Chattanooga

Or something like that.

Yea, I added Florida because it means as much to ME as any of the 12. I don't expect to win, but it better be a game.

BYU so high because it's so early.

Reactions: Vol_guy and Vols_74
-Mississippi State - 3
-Vanderbilt - 5
-Kentucky - 2
-Missouri - 4
-South Carolina - 1
-BYU - 6
-Georgia State - 7
-UAB -8
-Chattanooga - 9

5-Mississippi State
1-Vanderbilt
7-Kentucky
2-Missouri
4-South Carolina
6-BYU
8-Georgia State
3-UAB
9-Chattanooga

No blue font I'm being serious. This how you would rank them @KBVol ?

Reactions: feathersax
Miss State
Mizzou
South Carolina

BYU
Vanderbilt
Kentucky

UAB
Georgia State
Chattanooga

Though, I find it difficult to rank most of these teams this year as there's a lot more turnover than usual entering 2019. Miss State lost a lot of starters; same deal with Mizzou. Kentucky was good last year but I feel like they have the biggest talent dropoff of any team in the SEC in 2019.

Mizzou landing Kelly Bryant was a big coup. They are further down the list without that.

UAB is better than people realize. That and the BYU games are not "gimmes" even if we're the favorite.

Last edited:
Miss State
Mizzou
South Carolina

BYU
Vanderbilt
UAB

Kentucky
Georgia State
Chattanooga

Though, I find it difficult to rank most of these teams this year as there's a lot more turnover than usual entering 2019. Miss State lost a lot of starters; same deal with Mizzou. Kentucky was good last year but I feel like they have the biggest talent dropoff of any team in the SEC in 2019.

UAB is better than people realize. That and the BYU games are not "gimmes" even if we're the favorite.

Mizzou landing Kelly Bryant was a big coup. They are further down the list without that.

I get that UAB are better than what many think, but that doesn't mean I think they'll beat us.

I don't think we're going to be all that good, but I think we'll be better than what many think.

Lol, it's okay if we all have different opinions.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
Everybody ranking UAB way too low imo. If we don’t play very well vs them in Neyland, we’ll lose.

Someone must have been at their practices and know something I dont about UABs second and third team last year, because that's all they got returning...

Next year UAB is replacing his leading passer, his top four wideouts, four starting offensive linemen, all three starting defensive linemen, four of his top five linebackers, and four of his top seven defensive backs. When he was putting together his zombie roster, he predictably leaned heavily into the JUCO ranks — you would, too, because the only other option was to hit the ground with a bunch of redshirt freshmen.

Reactions: Devo182
1 Mississippi State
2 Missouri
3 Vanderbilt
4 South Carolina
5 Kentucky
6 BYU
7 UAB
8 Georgia State
9 Chattanooga

I know, I've seen you say it several times, once "on record ". I'll go on record right now, and say I think we beat them!
I think we’ll beat em too, certainly should. But people thinking they’re a walkover OOC team along the lines of UTC or ETSU are badly mistaken imo. Better be ready to play and play well or they’ll beat us

Reactions: DiderotsGhost
Someone must have been at their practices and know something I dont about UABs second and third team last year, because that's all they got returning...

Next year UAB is replacing his leading passer, his top four wideouts, four starting offensive linemen, all three starting defensive linemen, four of his top five linebackers, and four of his top seven defensive backs. When he was putting together his zombie roster, he predictably leaned heavily into the JUCO ranks — you would, too, because the only other option was to hit the ground with a bunch of redshirt freshmen.
First year back after re-establishing the program they won 8 games. Last year, after surprising everybody the season before, went 11-3 last year, after only 2 recruiting classes.

Say whatever you want, they’re extremely well-coached and have defied “personnel odds and concerns” each of the last two years. Better play well when they come to Knoxville or we’ll lose.

Reactions: DiderotsGhost
I think we’ll beat em too, certainly should. But people thinking they’re a walkover OOC team along the lines of UTC or ETSU are badly mistaken imo. Better be ready to play and play well or they’ll beat us

I don't take one single game on our schedule this year for granted, I'm still uncertain on what we're going to look like. I'm still not sure what we have in Pruitt. I'm not sure if Tee is going to be what we all hope he is. I'm really not sure about Friend, that's actually my biggest concern as far as coaching goes.

But I don't let myself worry about all that crap, that's Pruitt's job. But odds are we'll be better than last year and if we are we'll beat UAB and several more. If we're not... well, Ill get back to you on that.

-Mississippi State
-Vanderbilt
-Kentucky
-Missouri
-South Carolina
-BYU
-Georgia State
-UAB
-Chattanooga

Mississippi State
Missouri
South Carolina
BYU
Vandy
UK
UAB
Georgia State
UTC

Last edited:
Everybody ranking UAB way too low imo. If we don’t play very well vs them in Neyland, we’ll lose.

They have a bye week and we have a trap game between 4 tough SEC games and KY. At least their great coach is gone (or was that Troy)?

Last edited:
3-Mississippi State
6-Vanderbilt
5-Kentucky
1-Missouri
2-South Carolina
4-BYU
9-Georgia State
7-UAB
8-Chattanooga

a. Georgia
b. bama
c. Florida

Last edited:
Chattanooga will be the toughest OOC opponent that UT has this season because they will want to prove that they are as good as UT.

Critical:
1. Missouri
2. BYU

Should be W’s:
3. Mississippi State
4 Vanderbilt
5 South Carolina
6 Kentucky
7 UAB
8 Chattanooga
9 Georgia Southern

Idk? Interesting exercise! Looks like a favorable schedule for UT given that USC, UK Vandy, MSU all lost a lot of starters. But I am worried about D-Line and O-Line!

It would be nice to get back to point these are all sure wins and we are looking can we take Bama and UGa! At least 1-2 years of stellar line recruiting away from that!

Go Vols!

I don't understand leaving Bama, UGa, and FL off your list while putting UT-Chatt, Ga State, and UAB on.

If you're going to leave out the "foregone conclusion" games, leave them all out.

Heck, I'd even take Kentucky off the list, and would be very tempted to put Florida back on. :)

Rank order for me goes: Bama ... UGa ... FL ... Miss St, BYU, and USCe all about even ... Mizzou ... Vandy ... Kentucky ... then UAB, Ga St and UT-C.

Go Vols!

Reactions: HuntlandVolinColo
1. Mizzu
2. Miss State
3. USCe
4. Vandy
5. BYU
6. Kentucky
7. UAB
8. Georgia St
9. UT Chatt

Yeah, DG, I hear you about UAB, they did have a good record (11-3) last season. But they played nobody, i mean nobody. They lost by 20 points to Coastal Carolina early in the season, and by 20 to MTSU in November (they did come back in the conference CG to squeak out a win over MTSU in December). They lost badly to the only Power 5 team they played (A&M).

So sure, they won 11 in 2018...but the "signature" win was the MTSU title game. Everyone else they beat had names like Southern Miss, Rice, Charlotte, and La Tech.

~ ~ ~

As for BYU, almost the opposite problem anticipating how they'll be in 2019. At 7-6, their 2018 record was barely better than our own. And yet they beat Wisconsin and Arizona. Don't know how to square that with them losing to Utah St, Northern Illinois and Boise St, but it's definitely a mixed bag. I agree with you that our game against them may not be a gimme. I'm thinking of them more at the level of a USCe or Mizzou.

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
4. Mississippi State
7. Vanderbilt
3. Kentucky
1. Missouri
2. South Carolina
5. BYU
8. Georgia State
6. UAB
9. Chattanooga

I know, I've seen you say it several times, once "on record ". I'll go on record right now, and say I think we beat them!
The positive thing about so many repeating UAB is very good, - maybe it will calm the freakout when we don't blow them out by 40.

I'm kidding, nothing's gonna stop that.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP

VN Store

Back