Rank Bruce Pearl as a basketball coach.

I wouldn't trade Bruce Pearl for ANY other coach out there. Coach Pearl is the perfect fit for Tennessee. He is not just "serviceable."

Coach Pearl is a GREAT recruiter who stays within the rules. Some coaches can load their rosters with more talent (ala Calipari at Kentucky) but UT fans don't have to wonder what negative repercussions might be in the offing because of something underhanded Coach Pearl did. (Kentucky didn't get any deeper into the NCAA tournament than the Vols did, btw.) Our mens team is a perrenial championship contender and how many times has the prospect of having to vacate victories crossed the mind of a Vols fan?

Coach Pearl has proven his integrity with the way he has metted out discipline, as well. If he was even the least bit mercenary in his pursuit of championships, this years Vols squad would have consisted of Ramar Smith, Duke Crews, Josh Tabb, Tyler Smith, Wayne Chism, JP Prince, Cam Tatum, Brian Williams and a kid named Passley. Merely on talent, that's an SEC championship and a final four. However, the "whole" of that line-up would have been much less than the sum of its parts. As a Vol fan of 38 years, I am more proud of this years Elite 8 run, with the roster as it turned out to be, than i would have been if the Vols had made the Final Four with a squad that included Ramar Smith, Duke Crews or Tyler Smith. Vol fans can trust Coach Pearl to put talent AND honor on the court, at the same time. In that respect, he is on par with Dukes Coach K, in my opinion. (Who is better than that?)

Bruce Pearl is a GREAT motivator. In his time at Tennessee, coaching somewhere in the neighborhood of 150 games, I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of Vols games I watched where i didn't think the team was laying it on the line. If you've ever coached young men at anything, you would know how astounding it is to get maximum effort on such a consistent basis. When you go see the UT men play, you might not know the outcome beforehand, but you do know that the Big Orange will "show up" and will be going for their opponents throat from tip to buzzer.

Bruce Pearl is a GREAT coach on the floor. In the 5 years he has been here, I haven't seen him get outcoached once. Not once. UT's players have failed to execute, at times, but Bruce Pearl hasn't been outcoached. On the contrary, Coach Pearl has outcoached many of the bigger names in coaching circles. if you don't believeme, just ask Huggins at WVU...watch any matchup between the Vols and a super-talented John Calipari squad... Ask Billy Donovan. Ask the kid at Butler who put his team out of the tournament 2 years ago.

You don't outcoach Bob Huggins. You don't outcoach Bobby Knight. You don't outcoach Mike Krysewski. And Bruce Pearl doesn't get outcoached, either. UT's opponent might come out on top once in awhile, but it won't be because the opponent has a better coach.

Somewhere, underneath a beach umbrella with a cooler of hooch, Billy Gillispie is laughing.

Fine. He is a fired, jobless, Co-ed loving alcoholic who coached circles around Pearl for 2 seasons.

Thanks for helping solidify the point.

Also, while I'm at it, I will take the time to point out that this is the classic "screw logic and resort to games" tactic. It was mathmatically and visually a fact that Gillispie had Pearls number for two years. His being fired at the moment has NOTHING to do with that. Once you realize that, you reply with something of that nature.

Just pointing out the fact that gillispie was fired. Pearl seems to "outcoach" donovon on a regular basis... does it mean anything? Maybe... but the word "outcoach" is the second most overused word in college athletics next to the word "class," imo.

Point is, Billy G and outcoach have little in common. That juggernaut coach at VMI must be one hell of a "outcoacher"

Last edited:
Just pointing out the fact that gillispie was fired. Pearl seems to "outcoach" donovon on a regular basis... does it mean anything? Maybe... but the word "outcoach" is the second most overused word in college athletics next to the word "class," imo.

Point is, Billy G and outcoach have little in common. That juggernaut coach at VMI must be one hell of a "outcoacher"
Please. BCGs gameplan was better at every meeting. Often it's about the play and coaches get too much credit, good or bad, but those KY games were strategic nightmares for us.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

What did you think about this part of Tommy’s "Ode to Pearl"?

"...you do know that the Big Orange will "show up" and will be going for their opponents throat from tip to buzzer."

Please. BCGs gameplan was better at every meeting. Often it's about the play and coaches get too much credit, good or bad, but those KY games were strategic nightmares for us.

Please what?

I agree that it was difficult to get the ball inside vs Billy G's D. If we had a shooter that could hit an outside shot last year, it may have been a different story.

Meeks going off for 54 pts in Knoxville was a brilliant strategy as well.

What can I say? Billy G's style gives the flex problems. I just have a hard time swallowing the phrase "outcoached" when Gillispie just couldnt put it together vs. much else.

Please what?

I agree that it was difficult to get the ball inside vs Billy G's D. If we had a shooter that could hit an outside shot last year, it may have been a different story.

What can I say? Billy G's style gives the flex problems. I just have a hard time swallowing the phrase "outcoached" when Gillispie just couldnt put it together vs. much else.

Salty analysis.

Please what?

Again, the argument/conversation/debate has NOTHING to do with Gillispie vs. "much else".

Why do some here seem to totally ignore what they read and insert their own version of the events to try and make up for defencies in their own argument?

Again, the argument/conversation/debate has NOTHING to do with Gillispie vs. "much else".

Why do some here seem to totally ignore what they read and insert their own version of the events to try and make up for defencies in their own argument?

What word are you looking for? Defenses or deficiencies?

My argument is that the word outcoached is a BS buzzword that gives a false evaluation of a coach's ability to coach a basketball team.

My argument is that the word outcoached is a BS buzzword that gives a false evaluation of a coach's ability to coach a basketball team.

Gillespie outcoached Pearl. There's no getting around it.

I have found the word I'm looking for, as it pertains to you. However, its not allowed on this board.

Keep throwing the argument off with things like spelling errors. I'll keep on being right, and you can continue being clueless.

The argument makes no sense. Some coach wins the tactical battle. And some win the strategic battles. It happens in tons of games. BCG was undermanned every time he played us and beat us at his game more than not. The game we got was fortunate.

He aired out the gym and begged us to shoot. In that game and no gimme transition game, we couldn't win. We never remotely adjusted. Meeks jar happened to kill us because we didn't demand any D, but I guess our trend of career highs was happenstance?

I have found the word I'm looking for, as it pertains to you. However, its not allowed on this board.

Keep throwing the argument off with things like spelling errors. I'll keep on being right, and you can continue being clueless.

By all means, send the word via PM if that will help you get your argument across.

I honestly didnt know if you were trying to say defenses or deficiencies. It might help me understand your side of the argument if you would but let me know.

By all means, send the word via PM if that will help you get your argument across.

I honestly didnt know if you were trying to say defenses or deficiencies. It might help me understand your side of the argument if you would but let me know.

Really? Plug both words into the sentence and see which one makes NO SENSE whatsoever. At that point, assume it was the other.

But, I digress. Again I have found myself suckered into a meaningless argument about something other than the point at hand.

VN Store

Back