Randomly meeting a Vol Stories

Josh Dobbs was on my honeymoon cruise. We had a stop at a private island in the Bahammas. I was snorkeling in the shallows when I came up on a foot right in front of me. I looked up and realized it was Dobbs. I stood up and shook his hand. Then we stood there and talked for a couple minutes about all the different types of fish we had seen. Super cool kid.

Reactions: irish1485
Not very random, but I was in the same backfield with Larry Sievers in middle school-- he was the QB, I was the wingback. One time coach asked Larry to line up at split-end and run a fly pattern, and the strongest guy on the team, an OL, took the snap, and threw it as far as he could, and Larry laid out and made an unbelievable catch-- you could tell from that one play he would be great.

More randomly, was when I met Ernie Grunfeld. I was playing tennis at the Varsity courts and all the courts were full, and Ernie walked up with his BB buddy, Finestein?, and asked if we would play some doubles. We did, and he wasn't a bad player, but he looked HUGE on the tennis court!

Last edited:
I got three.... oops make that four.

In the mid 60's I was on a church league softball team with Dewey Warren.... well, I was younger, and signed a contract to serve as forfeit insurance for my Dad's team in a ten man mandatory league. I think this was the summer before his senior year.

Nearly a decade later I returned home from Belmont, went to roam the strip and was introduced to Condredge Hollaway by Tim Townes who I graduated with at Bearden, somewhere close to 21st and Cumberland.

Most recently I was eating at Wright's Cafeteria and went over to speak to our HS FB coach and my history teacher Jim Smelcher who introduced me to his old teammate and Vol legend Buddy Cruze. Sadly. within a few weeks we lost Buddy.

I almost forgot the night before his last ballgame in Stokely, Tom Boerwinkle was at my house in Deane Hill as part of a four person team project meeting for a health class he had with my sister. He trilled this kid by shooting a few shots before he left on my goal in the driveway. He did so in his custom ordered Bass Weejuns. He was sliding all over my asphalt driveway. I actually had a couple of neighbors there to witness my good fortune. He was a good natured guy for sure.....

I will not count talking to Jim Bob Cooter when he returned to see a Lincoln County football game during an off week his senior year at UT. Actually he was spending time with my wife who taught him there. But he did politely field a couple of fan like questions from me.

Reactions: SuzyVol
met Eric Berry at Tin Roof back in 2012. I was the first one to ask for a picture, as others were respecting his privacy. I've never seen a famous person happier to take a picture with a fan. Then everyone started asking him for a picture, and he was really enjoying it. A great experience- I am really glad that he was a great person and not a jackass.

Met Tyler Bray and Hurd a few times on campus, and they were both complete assholes. Hurd was in high school when I first met him, and an *******.

Reactions: Carl Pickens
Not a Vol, but Vol related I guess...
Met Steve Spurrier in the airport in Cincinnati back in 1995 and actually rode next to him on the plane from Cincy to Louisville.

He never said, but I think he was recruiting Jeff Brohm at the time.

Whole time he kept looking at my bright orange ball cap 😂🤣😂

We were at Pat O’Briens the night before the ‘86 Sugar Bowl. I saw Bobby Scott and went up to him and said something along the lines of it was great to see the last UT QB that played in the Sugar Bowl. I think he was surprised an 18 year old kid recognized him.

He invited me to sit with he and his wife and friends. Bought me a hurricane and we talked for a bit. He was so incredibly friendly. I still have his autograph on a Pat O’s coaster. David Keith was there that night as well.

I went to a Cardnal’s game to watch Big Mac hit #52 and was hanging out at the hotel when Shuler walked off the elevator. He was there with the Saints.

Walking into a game a Neyland and in the crowd was Eric Ainge. He notice I recognized him, he gave me a head nod as we kept moving thru the crowd.

John Fisher and 2 other linemen came in buying ammo for a dove shoot back in the day. They took up the whole counter.

Hung out with Greg Burk one evening. His wife and my 1st wife were close friends.

Side note. Chit chatted with Dave Chapple before sneaking into the Tyson fight at the Pyramid.

I was at the TN LSU super regional baseball games and got bored before one game and decided to walk to Neyland. A random guy asked me where the bus station was and I politely responded I didn’t know. I started thinking who was that guy.... almost 100% it was Condredge Holloway.
Could have been but he was a long time UT AD employee, you think he know

Heath Shuler tried to pledge my fraternity. He lasted maybe a week before Majors told him...you didn't come here to play fraternity. Fun talking to him some in rush though

We were at Pat O’Briens the night before the ‘86 Sugar Bowl. I saw Bobby Scott and went up to him and said something along the lines of it was great to see the last UT QB that played in the Sugar Bowl. I think he was surprised an 18 year old kid recognized him.

He invited me to sit with he and his wife and friends. Bought me a hurricane and we talked for a bit. He was so incredibly friendly. I still have his autograph on a Pat O’s coaster. David Keith was there that night as well.

myself and our group were there that night as well....great times

Fall of 1975, I bumped into Stanley Morgan on the second floor of Melrose Hall. We spoke briefly. Football wasn’t mentioned.

I met Johnathan Brown at my brothers soccer game about 13 years ago, he saw me and my dads Tennessee gear and struck up a conversation, he was super friendly. Also Billy Ratliff responded to a YouTube comment I made and it made my day. I’m too obsessed with Tennessee 😂

Ran into Phil Fulmer at a UT-USC basketball game (in Columbia). Ran into the Berry twins after a game (at the indoor practice facility)

Had Daniel Brooks come through basic training when I was a Drill Sergeant. He unfortunately passed away in 2015. I had talked to him a few times after he graduated basic.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back