Random, Thoughts, X,XXIV

I respect blood and organ donors a great deal.
But I don't ask other people if they do or do not donate.
Some people cannot donate for various reasons, and NGAF but I think asking someone about donating blood is invasive and can come across as judgmental and assuming.
TIFWIW
If it gives you the giggles to mischaracterize my prior conversations, it reflects poorly on you.

I respect blood and organ donors a great deal.
But I don't ask other people if they do or do not donate.
Some people cannot donate for various reasons, and NGAF but I think asking someone about donating blood is intrusive and can come across as judgmental and assuming.
TIFWIW
If it gives you the giggles to mischaracterize my prior conversations, it reflects poorly on you.
I will probably regret this, but…

There is a wealth of testimony from people who have been harassed at work, civic groups, etc. for not signing up to donate blood. There are many good reasons not to donate, including personal medical history that is no one else’s damn business, but (to me) it comes down to being one act of generosity that some can participate in and others can’t.

I used to be a regular donor. Now I can’t. No one else’s business why, but I’d better not be judged on the basis of an attendance report.

And it isn’t a mark of virtue to donate or of selfishness not to; it’s just one thing that we can do to help out our community. Others might be volunteering at the local food bank; working the suicide or rape crisis phone lines; clearing crap thrown by slobs into rivers; and on and on.

If you feel your posts have been mischaracterized, maybe your thoughts didn’t get fully captured in them.

Last edited:
I will probably regret this, but…

There is a wealth of testimony from people who have been harassed at work, civic groups, etc. for not signing up to donate blood. There are many good reasons not to donate, including personal medical history that is no one else’s damn business, but (to me) it comes down to being one act of generosity that some can participate in and others can’t.

I used to be a regular donor. Now I can’t. No one else’s business why, but I’d better not be judged on the basis of an attendance report.

And it isn’t a mark of virtue to donate or of selfishness not to; it’s just one thing that we can do to help out our community. Others might be volunteering at the local food bank; working the suicide or rape crisis phone lines; clearing crap thrown by slobs into rivers; and on and on.

If you feel your private posts have been mischaracterized, maybe your thoughts didn’t get fully captured in them.
this

Only in the ‘Zone can people feel righteous attacking or belittling another for being a blood donor…

Let’s review my sins. I notice Behr’s tag line, “you want blood, you got it.” HOW DARE I NOT RECOGNIZE IT?! How stupid of me to think that he might be a donor, that we might have this in common. How insensitive of me to ask if he was a blood donor. Behr DGAF, but how can I not think that I would make others uncomfortable?

Less than 40% of the populace are eligible to donate, and less than half of the eligible actually donate. WHAT THE HELL WAS I THINKING?! If I’m a lifelong donor, I should know this makes others uncomfortable. I should have had the decency to keep this to myself. It doesn’t effing matter if I connect with another donor on VN, and it’s Behr! He hates me, anyway.

I’ve effing crossed a line. Blood donor… We don’t read anyone professing to be a leper, do we?!

In the ‘Zone, I deserve whatever niggling or admonishment others post in retort to my callous confession. I’m a braggart! Yeah, that’s what it is! I don’t deserve the benefit of anyone else’s better nature.

I hope that none of you need a transfusion during your lifetimes, but if you do, you can smugly disdain me for being a professed donor. I didn’t keep it to myself. I’m an insensitive bastard. Eff me.

Fun fact, as an organ recipient, I can't be an organ donor. I also can't donate blood.

But good to those who can. They help save lives. Like mine. Most do it selflessly, with no desire to be recognized. But if you do it for recognition, well, it doesn't really matter why you do it, you're still helping save lives. So thank you. It's just odd to seek recognition for it on a message board. Especially in a forum where we constantly tease and harass each other.

But, whatever.

Fun fact, as an organ recipient, I can't be an organ donor. I also can't donate blood.

But good to those who can. They help save lives. Like mine. Most do it selflessly, with no desire to be recognized. But if you do it for recognition, well, it doesn't really matter why you do it, you're still helping save lives. So thank you. It's just odd to seek recognition for it on a message board. Especially in a forum where we constantly tease and harass each other.

But, whatever.
Rich. A recipient of another’s selfless donation twisting my words an attributing to me a motive that I do not have. Don’t you feel special, now?

Rich. A recipient of another’s selfless donation twisting my words an attributing to me a motive that I do not have. Don’t you feel special, now?
Rusty, I don't think you understand the Endzone. At all. You seem like a nice dude, but this isn't the forum where you're going to get coddled or get praised for doing something millions of people do. The closest you're likely to get is the "thank you" I included in my previous post. I'm well aware I'm alive due to the selflessness of others. Someone died for me to still be alive. I live with that every single day. And I also received numerous blood transfusions during that time. For all I know, some of that blood could have been yours. But this is not the forum you want it to be. Judging by what it seems you want to hear, I suggest you start a thread in the Pub. You're far more likely to get the recognition you seek there. But good on you for being a blood donor.

Yes, by all means, twist this around to make me the bad guy. Pile on. It’s in character…
I didn't make you a bad guy. Stop whining. I just said this is not the proper forum for your weird flex. Either you're one of us and can take the teasing, or you're not.

Let’s review my sins. I notice Behr’s tag line, “you want blood, you got it.” HOW DARE I NOT RECOGNIZE IT?! How stupid of me to think that he might be a donor, that we might have this in common. How insensitive of me to ask if he was a blood donor. Behr DGAF, but how can I not think that I would make others uncomfortable?
Okay, lets,,,,,,,

The conversation from the beginning...

Behr, I didn’t think that you qualified to donate blood…
You're wrong about as much as you don't know about me.
~39% of the population qualify to donate. If you do qualify, do you give blood? If so, how often?
Why do you ask?
I’m a regular blood donor for the past 48 years. On the other hand, you are a recovering drug addict and an Internet troll wannabe. Now, you go ahead and be “smart” online, bless your heart.
You never disappoint.

What in the wide world of sports triggered you to bring up donating blood? We're just having fun talking about garage items to sell for Joe's youngins and you wanna start a character debate? 🤣

And I used to have troubles with the drank, but I haven't had a drink in 10 years this month. I'm not a "recovering drug addict". Not that either one is better or worse, just making the point that as usual you're wrong.

Your a strange little man, but I'm sure someone loves you. It just ain't me.
“If you want blood, you got it.”

And by your own reckoning, I’m larger than you… pipsqueak?

VN Store

Back