Rae Burrell

I believe Rae has tremendous upside, I'm glad we have her. And man was it timely for her shot to be relatively falling last night, given the loss of Davis' points. We woulda got woodsheded early without Rae and her energy. BUT . . .

Alot of her offensive production happened because the questionable shots she usually misses were going in last night. I wish she had scored most of those points because she stopped doing that one woman warrior thing, but that's not what happened. To be fair, there were a couple of times she actually pulled up and had nice little jumpers, which unfortunately she missed. But still shot poorly (8-20) had 6 t.o.s and generally still struggles to play within the offense (assuming there is one to play within).

Not trying to be overly hard on her, again I really have great hopes for her, but not quite ready to call it a breakout game for her yet. I do however, think its reasonable to start her ahead of Horston, just as an experiment to see if it helps either or them.

Looking from the outside, I can see the upside as well as the attraction of a player with so much energy and athleticism. But I really can't imagine the coach of my team (Graves) or Vic or Dawn or . . . giving very much court time to a player who seems so oblivious to the fact that there are 4 other players on her team and continually plays 1 on 5 or 1 on 4 or 1 on whatever the number of defenders in front of her without (seemingly) giving a thought to passing to a teammate. Yes, she's very athletic and exciting to watch, and I imagine that athleticism allowed her to overwhelm most of her opponents in high school, but, in this game anyway--and despite all the points and rebounds--imo it too often made the other Tennessee players on the court spectators only. And, if one of the problems for the team is not enough movement on offence, why wouldn't they stand and watch when there is little, if any, chance that the player with the ball will do anything other than try to make a basket on her own? To me, one of the major problems with Holly's recruiting was too great an emphasis on players (admittedly highly rated on paper) who are extraordinary athletes and happen to play basketball rather than basketball players (first) with some degree of athleticism. With time and good coaching some of them might become the latter--and, if so, the payoff would be enormous--but, at present, I think the team would be much better off if the roster included more basketball-savvy, if less athletically gifted, players, especially at the guard position.

Reactions: SandyO
I’d switch Davis and Jaz, but other than that I think that’s a reasonable experiment. I say that because I don’t really know how well Rennia handles the ball under pressure. Jaz seems to me to be the least likely to turn it over bringing it up, so I really like her at PG. Plus, if Davis is at point she’d likely get fewer shots from the area she seems to prefer to shoot from — within a 14-foot arc starting near the baselines moving around. I’d live to see shot charts for Davis, but just going on memory I don’t remember her taking a whole lot of shots from the top of the key.

My "grand plan" would be to use Davis the way that Cleveland used LeBron. Run the offense through her and use the attention that she commands to make opportunities for others. I think the other players who are limited offensively would find it easier to "play off of" Davis than to "create offense".

Looking from the outside, I can see the upside as well as the attraction of a player with so much energy and athleticism. But I really can't imagine the coach of my team (Graves) or Vic or Dawn or . . . giving very much court time to a player who seems so oblivious to the fact that there are 4 other players on her team and continually plays 1 on 5 or 1 on 4 or 1 on whatever the number of defenders in front of her without (seemingly) giving a thought to passing to a teammate. Yes, she's very athletic and exciting to watch, and I imagine that athleticism allowed her to overwhelm most of her opponents in high school, but, in this game anyway--and despite all the points and rebounds--imo it too often made the other Tennessee players on the court spectators only. And, if one of the problems for the team is not enough movement on offence, why wouldn't they stand and watch when there is little, if any, chance that the player with the ball will do anything other than try to make a basket on her own? To me, one of the major problems with Holly's recruiting was too great an emphasis on players (admittedly highly rated on paper) who are extraordinary athletes and happen to play basketball rather than basketball players (first) with some degree of athleticism. With time and good coaching some of them might become the latter--and, if so, the payoff would be enormous--but, at present, I think the team would be much better off if the roster included more basketball-savvy, if less athletically gifted, players, especially at the guard position.

This is a good point. It's also why I would take the ball out of her hand and put it in Davis' hands.

My "grand plan" would be to use Davis the way that Cleveland used LeBron. Run the offense through her and use the attention that she commands to make opportunities for others. I think the other players who are limited offensively would find it easier to "play off of" Davis than to "create offense".

I can see that IF Davis is a good ballhandler. Not sure she’s ever played that position. It would certainly be interesting to give it a try. I am a huge fan of trying new things. I mean, if trying any new thing is disastrous, then simply try something else. No biggie.

Reactions: glv98 and VA_VOLFAN

I appreciate your take on Rae. Yes, she does often have a “Me Against the World,” “I’ve Got to Be the ONE to Make Something Happen” playing style, but I am of the opinion (perhaps the minority opinion, even) that her style has helped way more often than it has hindered the team.

I say that because I am also of the opinion that Kellie probably encourages her to go out there and have immediate impact on the game by “making something happen.” Obviously Kellie knows as well as we do that sometimes that “something” is akin to a Tasmanian Devil ripping down the court like an F5 tornado through a trailer park. But dang! I’ll take it! :p It’s a joy it to see someone willing to put it all out there like she does. I get so frustrated when players get bashful about making plays and taking shots because that, to me, is a far bigger problem to overcome than having someone who is willing to be a DOER instead of a hope-someone-else-will-do-it type player.

Kellie often uses the phrase “playing downhill” when complementing opponents who, like Rae, put the pedal to the metal and go for it. So if Rae is often taking on 3 opponents by herself, she may actually be doing exactly what she’s been told to do.

We’ve got to be patient with the steps the staff is taking. I am 100% positive that if nothing had changed at all from last year except adding the freshmen, that this season would already be a certified disaster. But it’s not.

Sometimes I feel like I’m watching a different team and different game that everyone else. lol I honestly am happy with the overall progress the program is making after having hit rock bottom last season. One would have to be pretty stubbornly imperceptive to not see the difference in how this team and staff conducts business in comparison to last year’s team

I can see that IF Davis is a good ballhandler. Not sure she’s ever played that position. It would certainly be interesting to give it a try. I am a huge fan of trying new things. I mean, if trying any new thing is disastrous, then simply try something else. No biggie.
The other issue is that Rennia can't play anywhere but the wrong. Holly tried playing her at the high post, and it was a disaster. She was physically overwhelmed against any halfway decent team.

Burrell can play high post better, and she's not a bad option. Just don't put her in a position where she has to think too much and act as any sort of playmaker. If the shot isn't there, pass it back to the PG.

Reactions: lvocd
The other issue is that Rennia can't play anywhere but the wrong.
I dunno, she's played in the right alot this season! JK, I know you mean on the wing. Love Davis' improvement this year and think if it continues this offseason she has a chance for a great senior year. Looks like she's having fun again, at least was before the flu.

However, she is NOT a ball handler, makes lots of unforced dribbling t.o.s And why would we need her to be when we have Jaz who IMO has played very solid, dependable pg all year.

Regarding Rae, she has frequently been compared to a wild pony who you want to tame but not break in spirit. I get she wants to make things happen, but the head down wild woman plunge into the lane is not an efficient way to do that. She, like Horston, very much needs the structure that something crazy like a fluid offense with lots of movement might provide. It's great to have mad energy, but it needs a little direction to be effective.

Reactions: Nickid1975
Burrell seriously needs a different pair of shoes. Lack of traction is a severe handicap and an injury risk. Or else she needs to find the Slip-Not pad every stoppage in play.

I say that every single game, Putbacks, and am mystified as to why someone at UT hasn’t found a shoe that she’s comfortable in that also is safer for her. It worries me silly to see her having obvious equipment safety issues when the problem is easily solved.

Jmo, my starting line up would be Davis Jaz
Brown Key and Rae. Bench Horston as a starter until the turnover problem can be
addressed if it can be. Season is almost over
and it might take some special work with her.
Not knocking her as a player as she is good
but it is a weakness that with help she could
over come.

Jmo, my starting line up would be Davis Jaz
Brown Key and Rae. Bench Horston as a starter until the turnover problem can be
addressed if it can be. Season is almost over
and it might take some special work with her.
Not knocking her as a player as she is good
but it is a weakness that with help she could
over come.
I can agree with your starting lineup but who is your backup point guard and subs off the bench this is where we've been getting into more problems that not when we bring in players off the bench.

Reactions: Prophet1
I can agree with your starting lineup but who is your backup point guard and subs off the bench this is where we've been getting into more problems that not when we bring in players off the bench.
You got me there, the team is weak in that
area. Maybe Zay and Striplin will be helpful
next year.

Reactions: Volfan2012
You got me there, the team is weak in that
area. Maybe Zay and Striplin will be helpful
next year.
I think the players should be in shape to go almost the entire 40 and just a couple of subs. It is harder on the point guard to go 40 they have to do so much work with the ball I wish we had another option besides Horston that is where Green came in and it has caused a lot of problems for our team. We also need another player or two for next season other than the ones we have so hopefully Coach is looking at Grad Transfers. As for this season she is having to play with what we have and biggest fault I can find is conditioning of certain players on this team.

Reactions: Coach Jumper
I think the players should be in shape to go almost the entire 40 and just a couple of subs. It is harder on the point guard to go 40 they have to do so much work with the ball I wish we had another option besides Horston that is where Green came in and it has caused a lot of problems for our team. We also need another player or two for next season other than the ones we have so hopefully Coach is looking at Grad Transfers. As for this season she is having to play with what we have and biggest fault I can find is conditioning of certain players on this team.
I agree. Good post

Striplin is a 2021 commit and will be a senior in high school next year. Another point guard would be nice for next year
It hit me after I posted that I was wrong after the year thanks for the correction

Sometimes, while watching Burrell busting away on a one woman fast break, I can almost hear a train whistle and a vision of a runaway locomotive flashes through my mind.....She does give 100%.
H7d4.gif

When Rae is on a fast break, you better be ready for something to happen. It might be good or it might be bad, but something is going to happen.

Rae is just a sophomore and she is showing more this season than last both in ability and restraint. She was a runaway train last year this year at least occasionally she has shown some willingness to pass and pull up when there is nothing there. Of course not always much better than last year.

Reactions: krichunaka
When Rae is on a fast break, you better be ready for something to happen. It might be good or it might be bad, but something is going to happen.

Rae will never be accused of just standing around waiting on someone else to do something. Her psychic dial is permanently set on “attack,” and I couldn’t be happier about it.

Over the years I’ve been frustrated by a number of passive players who appeared to defer to the “star.” That type of player passes up wide open shots in order to pass it to the star, even if the star is heavily guarded. That type of passive player inadvertently makes it way more difficult for “the star” by showing opposing defenses that they can put an extra player on “the star” because Passive Player ain’t gonna hurt ‘em.

One thing is certain about Rae Burrell: There is not a coach on the planet who would ever be dumb enough to tell their team, “Let’s double team Davis. Cheat off of Burrell make her have to be the hero.”

Not. Gonna. Happen.

Ever. lol

But aren’t you the least bit curious what would happen if she were to start? Wouldn’t it be nice to actually have a nice energetic start to a game instead of having to hold our breath and wait for Rae to check in five minutes later to see some action? The only truly great start we’ve gotten off to was against Notre Dame when we were hot from outside shooting. I’m just curious about whether we could have more fast starts if there were a starting lineup change.

But hey, I do trust Kellie and I do (obviously) love what Rae brings off the bench! But I also find that we fans in the arena are having to stand and clap for WAY too long this year while we’re waiting for our team to get their first points. Start Rae and give the old folks a break! lol

Preach on, we will never know until we try. Right now, with our present starters, we have low energy.

I agree, Strangevol. Both Rae and Jordan have absolutely beautiful pull-up jump shots. If they would stop and pop more often instead of driving full speed into heavy traffic, they’d be All-SEC players.

I agree, Strangevol. Both Rae and Jordan have absolutely beautiful pull-up jump shots. If they would stop and pop more often instead of driving full speed into heavy traffic, they’d be All-SEC players.
I would like to see Kellie pull Rae and Jordan every time they either have an unforced turnover or do not pull up for the jump shot if the lane is clogged.

VN Store

Back