Rae Burrell

I’m not the coach, and I do and will support all the decisions Kellie makes. But DANG does my heart ever long to see Rae Burrell get the nod to be a starter. To heck with “energy off the BENCH.” How ‘bout some “energy from the tip-off”?!

Right now, there is no more dynamic a player on the roster than Rae. Yes, she’s still working on decision-making and body control, but we don’t have anyone any better at always making things happen. She scores, she rebounds, she disrupts. I love it when she’s on the floor. She’s always “on,” always obviously giving maximum effort.

Give Rae the keys to the bus against Texas, and let’s see where she takes us! :D🧡🍊🏀
She most definitely deserves a permanent starting spot until someone comes along and outworks her. I’ll just say they will have to work pretty dang hard.

Note that I started this thread on Dec. 2 and FINALLY got to see Rae get a start tonight. Sure wish it had been under different circumstances, but she proved me right. Thanks, Burrell!!!!! :p

I have often said to myself Rae please take a breath. Slow down half a step and your an All American. She is always just a step to fast. But I love her.
I agree. Rae is another Alyssa Thomas, a great Maryland player. I am going to make a statement that hurts but I have to make it. Coach Kellie does not know how to refine (e.g., too many turnovers) and develop the potential in her players. She is reactive instead of proactive. If Kim Mulkey had Rae she would be in the starting lineup and average, more or less, what she did tonight, that is 20 points and 10 rebounds.

A good coach does not wait for a player to improve but takes the initiative in developing and improving the performance of his/her players.

Last edited:
Burrell likes to play; “Give me the ball and get out of the way.”

I suggest that all of the players be taken to an Optometrist to have their eyes checked.

She was my favorite last year and remains so today. Just because she tries so dang hard every minute. I think she should start instead of Lou. No disrespect to Lou.

She was my favorite last year and remains so today. Just because she tries so dang hard every minute. I think she should start instead of Lou. No disrespect to Lou.
Sit Horston. She thinks she's Magic Johnson, but plays more like a juggler. Next years signing class can't get here soon enough. We need more want to! We play with too much finesse. SC and Miss. St. both were more physical. All the talk about length, but the little quick guards are eating us alive. Go Lady Vols!

I agree. Rae is another Alyssa Thomas, a great Maryland player. I am going to make a statement that hurts but I have to make it. Coach Kellie does not know how to refine (e.g., too many turnovers) and develop the potential in her players. She is reactive instead of proactive. If Kim Mulkey had Rae she would be in the starting lineup and average, more or less, what she did tonight, that is 20 points and 10 rebounds.

A good coach does not wait for a player to improve but takes the initiative in developing and improving the performance of his/her players.

One way to test that theory is to look at her players at Missouri State. I know Gitzen improved tremendously as did several others. Also, don't recall their turnovers being oout of the ordinary, even when playing up against bigger, more physically-talented schools.

The lack of movement and flow on offense might be a valid criticism, not knowing what patterns/sets/plays Kellie has attempted to use with this team. Standing around leads to turnovers through bad passes, players not open, over-dribbling, forced passes, players not coming to the ball, and other turnovers such as moving screens, three seconds, shot clock violations and desperation heaves, and one-against-many traps/blocks/charges/heaves.

I'd like to hear an objective report from an insider who has observed practices to hear what's been tried. Do we just not have an offensive strategy that involves all the players? Are the players not executing the plan? Is there a plan that will give us a chance to get good, open looks? Do we lack the physical skills to compete against ranked opponents? Are we not mentally tough or fit enough to sustain effort (boxing out, getting back in transition...the one-on-four break with only Rennie back was embarrassing, cutting off drives to basket)?

We knew this tough atretch of games would reveal character. The team cannot quit late in the game regardless of the score and have to keep working to get better every day. The coaches have to motivate them to do this or find players who will respond. We can't go back to selfish play or feeling that individual heroics are the only option.

Just stating the obvious like many others. We're frustrated, the players are frustrated, the coaches are frustrated. But this is the time to pull together, not apart.

Now that Rae has proved that she doesn’t need time on the bench instead of starting to “calm down” or “observe what the other team is doing” (or whatever other reasons that have been offered that this fan never bought in to), I honestly feel like giving her a starting position is the next progression this team should make.

The fast start Tennessee got last night was largely because Rae Burrell is Rae Burrell: always ready to give her all.

And like I’ve said before, despite all the “sixth woman” hoo-ha, there’s something truly special about hearing your name called and running out to thousands of screaming, adoring fans as a starter being introduced on your home court. The prized “sixth woman,” until last night, had never run out to anything except to “And the REST of the Lady Vols...”

Rae deserves to start full-time, darnit!

The last two games Rae has had to sub out because of cramping issues.

The team can work with her on hydration and electrolytes etc but Rae plays all out when she is on the court (which is fantastic) but, she might not yet have the conditioning to go at the rate for 30+ minutes.

I am only suggesting that Kellie may have some reasons for why she is allocating minutes the way she is.

Last edited:
Lou absolutely has taken charges. I’ve been to a few games where she has.
At the time of orginal post, we had taken zero, it was discussed after a game with Davis, I believe 2 games later Brown took first one, and still is only player that really goes after it

I love Rae playing, just not sure she plays within plays. She takes on all 5 alone sometimes. If she dribbles, she is going to shoot. Not much passing, and dishing effectively from her that I have seen. She certainly ups the volume when she is on court.

Now that Rae has proved that she doesn’t need time on the bench instead of starting to “calm down” or “observe what the other team is doing” (or whatever other reasons that have been offered that this fan never bought in to), I honestly feel like giving her a starting position is the next progression this team should make.

The fast start Tennessee got last night was largely because Rae Burrell is Rae Burrell: always ready to give her all.

And like I’ve said before, despite all the “sixth woman” hoo-ha, there’s something truly special about hearing your name called and running out to thousands of screaming, adoring fans as a starter being introduced on your home court. The prized “sixth woman,” until last night, had never run out to anything except to “And the REST of the Lady Vols...”

I got to witness Rae's starting debut last night. She is an incredible player. I don't know whether she needs to start, or how important that is to her, or others. Another poster pointed out that she almost always plays "starter's minutes," anyhow, but, the "hearing your name" part is an understandably desirable goal. Meanwhile, Lou Brown will probably leave Knoxville as one of the most under-appreciated players we've had. She is noticeably off-balance with the injury recovery, and last night wasn't a great performance, but at least a couple calls - contrasted to all other calls - shouldn't have gone against her. There was a lot happening in the paint, certainly nothing new; but the randomness of the whistles left much to be desired (but, here we go again with the officials excuse).
Being there verified how emotionally invested we are with "Our Girls." I'm also loving the Kellie Jolly-Harper hire more as we move forward. She is coaching with motherly love and the patience of Job, and against incredible odds. That Mississippi State team is really good, and, as many of you have stated, very smartly coached. They were finding open shots all over the floor. Part of this was due to missed assignments, but most of it, IMO, was because they KEEP MOVING! No fancy plays (Basketball "Plays" are way overrated), just movement, and open-eyed teammates. The red-head had a sickening amount of open looks (beautiful stroke, BTW), because of her hustle/movement, and court awareness by her and those with the ball. That, the tunnel-visioned dribble-drives, to this point is our most-glaring shortcoming, and the primary reason for the turnover problem. We simply do not look for (or see) a better shot.

And, Madtownvol makes a great point (as usual) about conditioning. Rae, and in fact all of them, 'cept one, aren't accustomed to playing full-game minutes. I am continually impressed with Jazmine's play, and not that she did everything right, but because she was literally hounded from the half-line in with hardly a stumble. She must be exhausted today.
We have a team at the cross-roads. They will either continue to "buy in," or this season will end all too abrubtly.

Last edited:
I believe Rae has tremendous upside, I'm glad we have her. And man was it timely for her shot to be relatively falling last night, given the loss of Davis' points. We woulda got woodsheded early without Rae and her energy. BUT . . .

Alot of her offensive production happened because the questionable shots she usually misses were going in last night. I wish she had scored most of those points because she stopped doing that one woman warrior thing, but that's not what happened. To be fair, there were a couple of times she actually pulled up and had nice little jumpers, which unfortunately she missed. But still shot poorly (8-20) had 6 t.o.s and generally still struggles to play within the offense (assuming there is one to play within).

Not trying to be overly hard on her, again I really have great hopes for her, but not quite ready to call it a breakout game for her yet. I do however, think its reasonable to start her ahead of Horston, just as an experiment to see if it helps either or them.

Rae stepped up last night.
Btw, Mississippi State had 14 steals to our 4, 3 of our steals were by Rae. Yes, she had 6 turnovers, but she put the team on her back last night. Great “Start” for Rae.

Per utsports.com:

Have A Day, Rae: Sophomore Rae Burrell turned in a double-double in her first-ever start with a game-high 20 points and 10 rebounds. It's her third double-double of the season and her 10th double-digit scoring performance of the season, four of which have come during SEC play.

I see a lot of love for Rae last night, and disclaimer, I was working and did not get to see the game. I would like to see this lineup:

1 Davis (yes Davis running the "pg" position)
2 Jaz
3 Horston
4 Rae
5 Key

These 5 should get 30-35 minutes. Sub in Brown 15 min; McCoy, Harris, and KK take the remaining 20ish minutes at the 4/5 spots.

Reactions: djtee
I see a lot of love for Rae last night, and disclaimer, I was working and did not get to see the game. I would like to see this lineup:

2 Jaz
3 Horston
4 Rae
5 Key

These 5 should get 30-35 minutes. Sub in Brown 15 min; McCoy, Harris, and KK take the remaining 20ish minutes at the 4/5 spots.

I’d switch Davis and Jaz, but other than that I think that’s a reasonable experiment. I say that because I don’t really know how well Rennia handles the ball under pressure. Jaz seems to me to be the least likely to turn it over bringing it up, so I really like her at PG. Plus, if Davis is at point she’d likely get fewer shots from the area she seems to prefer to shoot from — within a 14-foot arc starting near the baselines moving around. I’d live to see shot charts for Davis, but just going on memory I don’t remember her taking a whole lot of shots from the top of the key.

2 Jaz
3 Horston
4 Rae
5 Key

I agree with you 100% with Rae on the floor it gives the team another scoring threat.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2

VN Store

Back