Rae Burrell

lvocd

I’m not the coach, and I do and will support all the decisions Kellie makes. But DANG does my heart ever long to see Rae Burrell get the nod to be a starter. To heck with “energy off the BENCH.” How ‘bout some “energy from the tip-off”?!

Right now, there is no more dynamic a player on the roster than Rae. Yes, she’s still working on decision-making and body control, but we don’t have anyone any better at always making things happen. She scores, she rebounds, she disrupts. I love it when she’s on the floor. She’s always “on,” always obviously giving maximum effort.

Give Rae the keys to the bus against Texas, and let’s see where she takes us! :D🧡🍊🏀

I’m not the coach, and I do and will support all the decisions Kellie makes. But DANG does my heart ever long to see Rae Burrell get the nod to be a starter. To heck with “energy off the BENCH.” How ‘bout some “energy from the tip-off”?!

Right now, there is no more dynamic a player on the roster than Rae. Yes, she’s still working on decision-making and body control, but we don’t have anyone any better at always making things happen. She scores, she rebounds, she disrupts. I love it when she’s on the floor. She’s always “on,” always obviously giving maximum effort.

Give Rae the keys to the bus against Texas, and let’s see where she takes us! :D🧡🍊🏀

I hear you but I agree with her coming off the bench. Kellie knows what she is doing and there hasn’t been a drop in energy since she came in. She is still playing starters minutes and is on the floor at the most important times.

Look a Key vs Kasi lately key has been starting but Kasi has been getting more min. Doesn’t matter when you get the minutes it matters how you make an impact and Rae is making an impact. Shoot she might even be the 6th player of the year in the conference 😃

Doesn’t matter when you get the minutes it matters how you make an impact and Rae is making an impact. Shoot she might even be the 6th player of the year in the conference 😃

But aren’t you the least bit curious what would happen if she were to start? Wouldn’t it be nice to actually have a nice energetic start to a game instead of having to hold our breath and wait for Rae to check in five minutes later to see some action? The only truly great start we’ve gotten off to was against Notre Dame when we were hot from outside shooting. I’m just curious about whether we could have more fast starts if there were a starting lineup change.

But hey, I do trust Kellie and I do (obviously) love what Rae brings off the bench! But I also find that we fans in the arena are having to stand and clap for WAY too long this year while we’re waiting for our team to get their first points. Start Rae and give the old folks a break! lol

been waiting for her to break out since she's been here...love seeing the improvement (wherever it's coming from)...:D

GO LADY VOLS!

Do you think the staff might think a little bench time may give her time to observe things she needs to work on? Especially with a coach sitting near to point things out. It is hard to be playing at full tilt, have something bad happen and have to think WHAT HAPPENED!!

I think she will end up playing more minutes than Brown, but will continue to come off the bench. I think the reason is her ball handling ability while a couple of the perimeter starters sit. I really like the way Rae has played the last three games. She didn't have any turnovers until the fourth quarter when she again reverted to trying some daring plays which didn't matter as the game was well in hand. Thus far this season 74 points on 63 shots 1.17 compared to 116 points on 139 last year 0.83 15 assists to 14 turnovers 1.07 assist to turnover and last year 13 assist to 30 turnovers 0.43 assist to turnover. If she can keep the 1.17 per shot attempt and a positive assist to turnover ratio will be very pleased with her play.

Reactions: mcannon1
I think she will end up playing more minutes than Brown, but will continue to come off the bench. I think the reason is her ball handling ability while a couple of the perimeter starters sit. I really like the way Rae has played the last three games. She didn't have any turnovers until the fourth quarter when she again reverted to trying some daring plays which didn't matter as the game was well in hand. Thus far this season 74 points on 63 shots 1.17 compared to 116 points on 139 last year 0.83 15 assists to 14 turnovers 1.07 assist to turnover and last year 13 assist to 30 turnovers 0.43 assist to turnover. If she can keep the 1.17 per shot attempt and a positive assist to turnover ratio will be very pleased with her play.
Brown is the calming glue that holds the team together.. Yes I have loved Rae since day one because she has the best shot of any LV since I don't know when. I used the term about her recently , like a bull in a china shop,. She was better last night on that plain but still out of control a little. Until she can bottle and control that energy she will sit so she can key it down I think. I also think she will before the end of the season. JMHO as always!! SS

Brown is the calming glue that holds the team together.. Yes I have loved Rae since day one because she has the best shot of any LV since I don't know when. I used the term about her recently , like a bull in a china shop,. She was better last night on that plain but still out of control a little. Until she can bottle and control that energy she will sit so she can key it down I think. I also think she will before the end of the season. JMHO as always!! SS
Last three games have been her best as a Lady Vol. She interviews now she at least talks about she needs to make better decisions in her play. That was never a talking point for her last year because I doubt if anyone ever brought it up that was coaching her. These coaches are giving the players what they need is they keep buying in we'll be a very tough team to beat come tourney time.

Everyone has an opinion and that is just fine, but I believe the coach has much more feel and insight into the complete picture than us fans. They can be wrong sometimes, but the odds are they know more than we do.

I agree 100%. But since this is just a fan discussion site, it didn’t hurt anything for me to openly air my thoughts and curiosity as a former athlete myself. This staff knows what its doing, for sure.

Tim for Lou 'microwave' Brown to heat up

Reactions: sccshortstop
Honestly, as the competition ramps up, where and when to play Rae is going to be the least of this team's problems.

For all the talk about Lou Brown being a calming influence, her lack of mobility and overall quickness is going to become a major liability very soon.

Key-- I am confident she will develop into a top flight player but right now, she is playing slow and, despite her height, very much below the rim. She is going to pick up a lot of fouls when she has to guard better posts. Her edge over Saunders is much less than I thought at the start of the season.

As it stands, our best athletic line-up is Jazz, Horston, KK, Davis, and Rae. Kam Harris comes next.

If the LVs had Zaay in the mix, this team looks very different and much more formidable but she is out.

This team had better play great defense, and create points off of TOs, because we are short on consistent scorers.

Rennia is the scoring threat and defenses will know that.

Horston on any given night could go off but as a freshman, her consistency remains in question. If she can fast track into consistent scorer (and 3pt shooter), the future looks much brighter.

The team is going to have to get some points from Massengill (8 to 10) as well.

Good teams will play the LVs much like less year's team-- zone and dare the LVs to beat them with outside shooting.

Right now, Rae is getting most of her points driving to the rim. Again, those pathways will be closed unless she creates some space by showing she is a threat behind the arc.

Given her textbook shot form, Rae should be able to do that but to this point in her career, her 3 pt. shooting has been inconsistent. So, that becomes another X-factor. If Rae becomes an inside and outside scoring threat, effectively filling Zaay's role, then again the outlook for this season looks better.

Last edited:
If so, you would need to find a new starting point guard

If you want to bench the people who can't make a layup, most of our posts would be riding the pine. Jazz isn't anywhere near the top in that category. She brings a lot of other good things to the game...good decision-making, takes care of the ball (her A/TO of 4.0 is 6th best in Div I ), and steadies the team. She's our second-leading shot blocker behind Key and is averaging slightly over 5 RBs/game, not too shabby for a PG.

Honestly, as the competition ramps up, where and when to play Rae is going to be the least of this team's problems...

One concern you didn't mention was our free throw shooting. This team has a lot of mediocre and a couple of horrendous FT shooters, and that's going to be such a big liability in close games that it will have to be a factor in who KJH puts on the floor.

Last edited:
Madtown, I'd love for Rae to develop a Zaay-Like pull-up jumper from 8 to 10-feet out. That way the defense would never know whether she was going to drive all the way in for a layup or stop short and take a soft-touch jumper.

And you're right on about Lou. I love her leadership, but that weak knee is going to become a big factor soon. I don't see her being able to keep many SEC forwards in front of her. Plus, she appears to have stopped looking for a shot altogether. If she's not going to look to score now and then I'm not sure she's going to get many minutes. Also, with that weak knee I don't think it's wise for her to put herself in position to take as many charges as she has this season. That has tapered off, though, so maybe she's been advised to play it a little safer.

One final observation: Rennia and Horston have GOT to keep their heads in the game when they personally are not shooting well. That needs to be worked out PRONTO.

Sometimes this board reads like: "I know we won by 41 pts but we weren't perfect and we should have won by 42 points instead..." KH has a plan and it seems to be working with the players. NO LV team has never had a lack of energy or intensity in a game. They are not machines. Even when this team struggles they still figure out a way to get better and get the W. You couldn't say that about the last few years.

Chasing perfection is expected. Actually expecting perfection is unrealistic and impossible...

Honestly, as the competition ramps up, where and when to play Rae is going to be the least of this team's problems.

For all the talk about Lou Brown being a calming influence, her lack of mobility and overall quickness is going to become a major liability very soon.

Key-- I am confident she will develop into a top flight player but right now, she is playing slow and, despite her height, very much below the rim. She is going to pick up a lot of fouls when she has to guard better posts. Her edge over Saunders is much less than I thought at the start of the season.

As it stands, our best athletic line-up is Jazz, Horston, KK, Davis, and Rae. Kam Harris comes next.

If the LVs had Zaay in the mix, this team looks very different and much more formidable but she is out.

This team had better play great defense, and create points off of TOs, because we are short on consistent scorers.

Rennia is the main one and defenses will know that.

Horston on any given night could go off but as a freshman, her consistency remains in question. If she can fast track into consistent scorer (and 3pt shooter), the future looks much brighter.

The team is going to have to get some points from Massengill (8 to 10) as well.

Good teams will play the LVs much like less year's team-- zone and dare the LVs to beat them with outside shooting.

Right now, Rae is getting most of her points driving to the rim. Again, those pathways will be closed unless she creates some space by showing she is a threat behind the arc.

Given her textbook shot form, Rae should be able to do that but to this point in her career, her 3 pt. shooting has been inconsistent. So, that becomes another X-factor. If Rae becomes an inside and outside scoring threat, effectively filling Zaay's role, then again the outlook for this season looks better.
Madtownvol, I wish I had a tenth of your insight. This is a brilliant and perceptive analysis of the present LVs.

If Rae is smart, she will stay in this role...In the WNBAm 6th man players are hard to find
1575325278847.png

Rae's mechanics are excellent, this is why she looks so fluid on shot and layup. For instance her layup...I teach that the R knee is connected to the R elbow, so when you go up with the RH the R knee should be as high on the lift as possible. I'm not sure what the scientifics are, but when you lift your knee on liftoff as hard as you can, it throws a good portion of your body weight off of the other foot, thus more lift and more air time. Rae lifts on layups pretty good. Lifting her knee higher will make her go higher though

She has her eyes focused on the target (BB

In this shot she seems to be doing a RH layup on the L side, but at full speed, I am ok with going with the"trusted" hand to finish

VN Store

Back