Rae Burrell Update from Kellie

LV's play 29 scheduled season games. Throw in an expected two or threee games in each tournament, and you've got about 35 or so games. So we're about 1/3 through.

Not too mention that the later 1/3 of the season is really where the entire season is made. If we have Rae back and ready to go by mid to late January, life will be good./

Rae wearing the same practice uniform as everyone else

I hesitate to make any more comparisons, but (to answer the "who does that?" question in the tweet) it is the type of thing Pat used to do...take a moment to make someone else feel important and special. Kellie seems to be the same type of person who is very relatable. She helped create a thrilling memory for this young lady.

Last edited:
“Rae is continuing to progress, getting to do a little bit more each day in practice,” Harper said. “So, I don’t know what that means in terms of a timeline still, but the progression has been there. I think each practice she’s getting to do a little bit more. It’s really to her comfort level.

Part of where we’re at right now is letting her do more and then seeing how her body reacts in response to that the following day. So, you know, I think she’s getting a little more confident every day. We’re starting to progress her into more drills, for sure, in practice right now. For her it’s just getting a little bit more time on the court, live action time on the court. In practice, I think that’s really the next big step for her.”

Burrell would need to participate in full-scale practices without adverse effects on her knee, but it certainly indicates a step forward and the possibility the senior could return at some point

Last edited:
I hope Rae can get back in the next couple weeks even in a minimum roll starting out even 10 to 15 minutes a game. Having her back for the NCAA Tournament hopefully 100 percent makes Tennessee a very tough team to beat as were quickly developing other players to major roles.

I hope Rae comes back next year! I can’t imagine her wanting to close out her senior year not getting to play alot.

I hope so as well. If not for the injury I’d be happy for her to move on. Would love to see her get another shot at a full season though. With her, Tamari and hopefully an even healthier Jordan H we could be even more dangerous.

I hope so as well. If not for the injury I’d be happy for her to move on. Would love to see her get another shot at a full season though. With her, Tamari and hopefully an even healthier Jordan H we could be even more dangerous.
I don't think she is coming back, but would love to see a season with Rae, Sarah, and Justine on the same team.

I get the impression that Rae has things she's anxious to be able to move along to in her life outside of college, so once she has her degree she'll be gone. It's the perfectly natural and healthy next step for someone her age, so I couldn't fault her for that. But I'm like everyone else in that it's fun to imagine what the team could be if she WERE back next season. We just shouldn't be surprised or disappointed when she takes the next natural step.

I get the impression that Rae has things she's anxious to be able to move along to in her life outside of college, so once she has her degree she'll be gone. It's the perfectly natural and healthy next step for someone her age, so I couldn't fault her for that. But I'm like everyone else in that it's fun to imagine what the team could be if she WERE back next season. We just shouldn't be surprised or disappointed when she takes the next natural step.

Assuming her plans include going pro (and playing in the WNBA), she might have reasons to consider playing another year in college. This injury has undercut her visibility and reputation. If she comes back and kills it toward the end of the season and the NCAA tourney, that will probably be enough. However, if she does not get back this season or has reduced effectiveness when she does, another year to audition for the WNBA might fit her plans. It is hard to make it in the WNBA as lower draft pick.

Assuming her plans include going pro (and playing in the WNBA), she might have reasons to consider playing another year in college. This injury has undercut her visibility and reputation. If she comes back and kills it toward the end of the season and the NCAA tourney, that will probably be enough. However, if she does not get back this season or has reduced effectiveness when she does, another year to audition for the WNBA might fit her plans. It is hard to make it in the WNBA as lower draft pick.
The WNBA knows how good a player she is and that will make her a possible top10 pick.

Honestly, we all are hoping selfishly that Rae AND Walker both return because the chemistry of 3 years playing together with their talents and being coached and developed by Kellie and crew would make us one of the scariest teams in the country. Top 3 with a healthy fifth year Rae, Jordan Walker, a senior Jordan Horston and Tamari Key, a healthy Marta, with the talented freshman class having a season under their belts and an offseason of development along with Justine coming in…… whew!!!!!

But alas more than likely both will be moving on with their career plans(though Walker is the one I think may actually stay another year). We can dream and beg for more but Rae is going to make some team VERY happy in the W.. we also don’t take into consideration she’s a darn good defender as well and versatile.

The WNBA knows how good a player she is and that will make her a possible top10 pick.
You may know, but I do w have a relationship with anyone on the WNBA who can tell me what the League really thinks about her status as a draftee. It would be reassuring to see a quote from someone about her status

Yes and no. This is a very weak draft, and teams would likely be willing to take a gamble on her because the payoff is better than some of the other mediocre players that might end up getting drafted. Next year's draft will be a really tough one. She might not even be the first LV selected.

Yes and no. This is a very weak draft, and teams would likely be willing to take a gamble on her because the payoff is better than some of the other mediocre players that might end up getting drafted. Next year's draft will be a really tough one. She might not even be the first LV selected.
Makes a lot of sense. You think possible top 10?

Makes a lot of sense. You think possible top 10?
I think she could easily slip in the first round, maybe top 10, even if her season is over.

Ahead of her this year: Rhyne Howard, NaLyssa Smith, Elissa Cunane, Shakira Austin likely, maybe Destanni Henderson. Even with the injury, Rae probably goes ahead of players like Naz Hillmon, Ashley Joens or any of the UConn seniors.

Next season, she has to deal with: Aliyah Boston, Haley Jones, Nyra Sabally, Rickea Jackson, Diamond Miller, Ashley Owasu, Jakia Brown Turner, Zia Cooke, Kiersten Bell, Tamari Key, maybe Paige Bueckers plus a lot more that I haven't even thought of. I don't think she'd make the first round.

The WNBA scouts know what we know. After a sometimes clumsy start, Rae grew into a player who flat-out Gets. It. Done.

She doesn’t hesitate. She doesn’t overthink. She doesn’t appear to ever dwell on mistakes and let them affect the next play.

Like someone else said above, Rae is also a great defender. She is excellent at slipping screens, and can guard an opponent’s best and quickest player.

She’s got the full package.

I think she could easily slip in the first round, maybe top 10, even if her season is over.

Ahead of her this year: Rhyne Howard, NaLyssa Smith, Elissa Cunane, Shakira Austin likely, maybe Destanni Henderson. Even with the injury, Rae probably goes ahead of players like Naz Hillmon, Ashley Joens or any of the UConn seniors.

Next season, she has to deal with: Aliyah Boston, Haley Jones, Nyra Sabally, Rickea Jackson, Diamond Miller, Ashley Owasu, Jakia Brown Turner, Zia Cooke, Kiersten Bell, Tamari Key, maybe Paige Bueckers plus a lot more that I haven't even thought of. I don't think she'd make the first round.
With the stroke she has and the athleticism, I feel she’d still go in the top 10 next year as well.

With the stroke she has and the athleticism, I feel she’d still go in the top 10 next year as well.
It would definitely be harder for her next year because there are more players that have the same attributes as her that she'll be competing with. Generally speaking, there usually isn't much league talent after the 1st round, and some of those lottery picks won't make teams in their 2nd/3rd season. But '23 is really shaping up to be a monster draft class.

Reactions: Peas29
It would definitely be harder for her next year because there are more players that have the same attributes as her that she'll be competing with. Generally speaking, there usually isn't much league talent after the 1st round, and some of those lottery picks won't make teams in their 2nd/3rd season. But '23 is really shaping up to be a monster draft class.

With the expectations and talent of the team next year, it actually might be easier for her. If she were to return we’d easily be a preseason top 4 team and that’s before factoring in any transfers we may receive. Graduating out in too with TK, Horston, and potentially Walker would be a big boost for her W stock as well.

Rae was shooting around in warmups but no elevation and walking with slight limp. If she can't jump off the floor I think she has a long way to go to play full speed basketball. Attendence at Ala game a little over 4,000 I would guess. Lower bowl less than 40% full.

Rae was shooting around in warmups but no elevation and walking with slight limp. If she can't jump off the floor I think she has a long way to go to play full speed basketball. Attendence at Ala game a little over 4,000 I would guess. Lower bowl less than 40% full.
I saw something totally different. I thought she looked good. She put a brace on a couple of times while on the bench and I kept thinking she was going in the game. I think her return is on the horizon.

The limp was definitely noticeable. Progress is obviously being made as the healing continues. Attendance was actually north of 8,000.

VN Store

Back