Rae Burrell Update from Kellie

Why the secrecy? Dang any HS player would already have results and lined up for surgery if it was necessary. They obviously know the extent of the injury but are choosing not to share for some unknown reason.

Reactions: stlvolsfan
Why the secrecy? Dang any HS player would already have results and lined up for surgery if it was necessary. They obviously know the extent of the injury but are choosing not to share for some unknown reason.
I may be wrong, but this seems like a sprained knee to me…

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
It could be to preserve her draft number/pro-prospects????

That is how things are done these days. Back in the old days everyone knew what injury the players suffered and no harm came of it. But there is an interesting inversion now. Back then injuries sustained by players weren't really private, but their private life was actually private. Now "private" life is all over social media and the injuries are state secrets. Even if they don't participate in social media they are tagged by everyone so there is tons of information that once upon a time would have been considered private and could only be gotten by stalking. People just seem to accept this now even though to an older person this seems extremely invasive, and it is much easier to see how harm could come from it than from sharing information on a broken leg or other injury.

Oh the infamy. just like Freak has your name, address and other data and has not shared that with this board. He obviously has all that and is not sharing with the general public on this board. Why the secrecy?

But seems like the WNBA teams would want to know the full extent of the injury and keeping quiet could actually hurt her draft.
The WNBA doesn't rely on reports in the news. They will evaluate the player in person and review medical records at the appropriate time. The player will have to see the team's medical team if there has been a medical issue. They don't rely on hearsay.

That is how things are done these days. Back in the old days everyone knew what injury the players suffered and no harm came of it.

I was reading parts of a local East Tn newspaper from over 100 years ago. They were publishing blow by blows of how each local family was doing with Spanish Flu. And it was reported so casually... "The Smith's on Elm St are recovering nicely from the flu. But Mr Johnson over on Roan St is still dealing with pneumonia in his right lung."

Times have changed.

It seems possible that they don’t know the exact nature of Rae’s injury nor have a good idea how long she will be out. Doesn’t look to be an ACL or anything that required immediate surgery. She can put weight on it. They maybe waiting to let the swelling go down before scoping or making a final diagnosis. I don’t think this is an evil plot to keep info from the fan base.😆

She has to give the ok for release of any medical/injury info......I do not know if that is the case here or not but wouldn't surprise me if she hasn't given her consent.

I don't have a clue what her injury is or how long she'll be out - but it's hard to speculate based on a pic of her moving around on crutches. Didn't India Chiles play in the WCWS with a torn ACL? Am I remembering that correctly? I think she had surgery after the season but she was obviously able to move around - so I don't think a pic of Rae putting some weight on her leg means anything.

Reactions: olddog

And beware of the lizard people!!!

Seriously, they have ruled out an ACL (that is very good). Right now, still only a week from the injury, there could still be a lot internal swelling in Rae's knee which makes a definitive diagnisis difficult until it subsides. They might be getting a second opinion on the nature of the injury and the best treatment options. For example (and just a hypothetical), different docs might have different opinions on how to best treat/ manage a meniscus tear, which can vary in terms its extent and exact location.

Last edited:
Same as or similar to Marta's. I'm guessing that shirt is a no contact signal? And I don't notice any obvious swelling.
Marta isn’t practicing at all but Rae has the practice uniform on no crutches in sight but just a different top and ppl pointed out her ankles aren’t taped like the others

Last edited:

VN Store

Back