Quit Dipping/Smoking

They gave me Metformin pills to take and said I have to cut back in carbs and sugar. Still hard to believe I could get diabetes at this stage in my life. I think when I had the short bout with pancreatitis is when everything changed.
Crazy. Glad you know how to control it.

First of all, sh!t man, I am so sorry to hear about the miscarriage. Hope both of you are doing well now.

Second, you're an idiot. I know you know that. I say it as a person who spent a week when she was 18 learning to smoke, so that when I would go to the get-together with area Wendy's workers, I could look cool, and painstakingly developed a habit that would last 21 years. I say it as a person who quit both times she got pregnant and started back after she was done nursing the kids. I say it as a fellow idiot. I say it as an idiot who used to think a dose of nicotine was gonna make anything better. That's just the addict talking of course. Getting a nicotine fix has never made anything better in the history of ..... um ... history.

I quit smoking three weeks before I went to court for my divorce. Very much a "screw you" move on my part.

I used the lozenges to get my nicotine fix. That was 2004. I used gum and lozenges for 14 years. FOURTEEN YEARS!!! You know why? Cause I'm an idiot. And I'm a nicotine addict.

I don't really know why I waited so long to quit using them. Except I was weak and scared. I'm not proud of it. I'm really embarrased about it. But not embarrassed enough to not encourage you to admit you're an idiot, who knows that a dose of nicotine never ever changed anything for the better. Last spring I bought nicotine patches and Ice Breakers mints. Only used the patches for 2 days. Still never let myself run out of Ice Breakers mints. Just another addiction it seems.

I'm truly thankful that you want the freedom bad enough to post here and talk about it.

Sorry if that's way more than you needed. Sometimes I just need to talk about. So thanks for letting me do that.

And God Bless you and your wife Dustin.
Didnt know you were getting divorced - arent you on a cruise ?

I've got to quit dipping as well. I have to have my wisdom teeth cut out in January, so I am hoping to quit before then.

My 2nd time quitting dip. Had been tobacco free for 5 years but started back up again in May when wife had miscarriage. I am on day 2 with no dip. Any advice? Not sure how the hell I did it the first time. I’ve been chewing a lot of gum and sucking on jolly ranchers

Go to a tobacco patch and strip some leaves off and see what gets on your hands. You will probably quit.

Smoked for almost 20 years. Quit cold turkey 6/9/15 while I was rooming in with my youngest at Vanderbilt. This biggest thing you have to learn is nicotine is a crutch. You will have everyday stress whether you use or not.

Reactions: Toujours Pret
Smoked for almost 20 years. Quit cold turkey 6/9/15 while I was rooming in with my youngest at Vanderbilt. This biggest thing you have to learn is nicotine is a crutch. You will have everyday stress whether you use or not.
YES! That is it!

I learned a TON on Quitnet.com. Sadly it doesn't exist anymore, but it was a really great site.

Reactions: VolNExile
My 2nd time quitting dip. Had been tobacco free for 5 years but started back up again in May when wife had miscarriage. I am on day 2 with no dip. Any advice? Not sure how the hell I did it the first time. I’ve been chewing a lot of gum and sucking on jolly ranchers

I started dipping Bruton when I was 13 years old. I went from that to Copenhagen. I quit when I was 61. I got my wife to print me a copy of a pic with a man's mouth and chin gone. Carried in my shirt pocket and when I reached for a dip I would look at that pic. After about two weeks I didn't reach anymore.

Yep, married my husband in 2005. He's a gift straight from God. (And I say that with no sappiness whatsoever.)
I was married to the trial version for nearly 30 years. Married to the keeper now for 8, and every day is better than the one before. You're absolutely right - a gift from God. (Plus both of us learning a bit about how to be married from the first rounds.)

I smoked, dipped and chewed for 20 years and quit (the last time) 18 years ago. I'd quit several times before but what finally made the difference was deep, honest, real acceptance that I was done with it. Not denial and not any sort of pretending it didn't suck, but just complete acceptance that it was gone from my life, without even a remote consideration that I might go back to it.

As an extreme example, if you lost a limb or something, it would suck and would be very upsetting and difficult to learn to manage, but ultimately you would have to just accept it and learn to manage without it because you have no other choice. Living without tobacco is not as traumatic an ordeal but you approach it the same way. Hell, mourn its loss if you want to, just know that it's dead and gone.

Don't let the struggle be fighting the urge to do it again, let the struggle be learning to live without it. The quitting is behind you already, now you just have to deal.

I was married to the trial version for nearly 30 years. Married to the keeper now for 8, and every day is better than the one before. You're absolutely right - a gift from God. (Plus both of us learning a bit about how to be married from the first rounds.)
Exactly.

Reactions: VolNExile
Thanks for all the advice. Day 3 now. Just been chewing gum and placing jolly ranchers between my gums all day. Definitely liked the stress comment that with tobacco or not you’re still going to have stress

Thanks for all the advice. Day 3 now. Just been chewing gum and placing jolly ranchers between my gums all day. Definitely liked the stress comment that with tobacco or not you’re still going to have stress
I hope you keep posting and talking about your experience. You never know who's reading and needs to hear it. 🙂

Reactions: Obsessed
Fwiw, 18 years later I still have a jar of sunflower seeds on my desk at work that I go to town on every day lol. But it's not because I want a dip or a smoke, it's just a general oral fixation thing that's always been there and probably half the reason I was such a tobacco hound to begin with. Today though, the seeds mostly just keep me from eating worse snacks all day long.

Fwiw, 18 years later I still have a jar of sunflower seeds on my desk at work that I go to town on every day lol. But it's not because I want a dip or a smoke, it's just a general oral fixation thing that's always been there and probably half the reason I was such a tobacco hound to begin with. Today though, the seeds mostly just keep me from eating worse snacks all day long.
That's where I'm at now, I still use full nicotine replacements but think I'll just need to quench the urge to absent mindedly knead something between my cheek and gum.

I get 2 points for using need and knead in a sentence.

Thanks to this thread for making me dream last night about having a dip 😁

Happens about once a month but that's as close as I get to the real thing

Quitting dipping after 20+ years was one of hardest things I've done in my life. I quit many times over the years, trying every alternative imaginable. For me, it took 1) leaving a stressful relationship/situation, 2) nicorette gum for a couple years (occasionally bumming buddies' dip), and 3) finally making a decision to quit nicorette and all nicotine. The first six months I felt kind of crazy and was constantly jonesing. Replaced at first with drinking and eating. It has been a year and so excited to be nicotine free.
Sorry about your loss, and I wish you the best in quitting again.

Thanks to this thread for making me dream last night about having a dip 😁

Happens about once a month but that's as close as I get to the real thing
It's funny, I smoked in my army days, and had got done playing cribbage with the wife outside and threw the deck of cards in my pocket.

About 10 minutes later I had my hand on the box and was digging for a lighter in my other pocket.

Reactions: utvolpj
I smoked for roughly 20 years. Quit for 8 months at one point then started back for a few years.

Finally, on May 7th, 2014, I decided it was time to quit. Haven't had one since. I treat it like alcoholism. I cannot have even a single puff. I know I could smoke one now and be back at a pack a day by the weekend. But that's not going to happen. Everyday gets a bit easier. Ever now and again I think I could have one but I don't.

Have to stop thinking that you are doing without smoking. Think about the good you are doing instead. Don't smell like crap any more. You don't have to excuse yourself any more. Money saved every day. Etc.

Best of luck. You can do it.

VN Store

Back