Quick turn arounds....

CAVPUT

Embracing the inner nega in all of us
Sorry if already posted. This was in an article from this morning from Grant Ramey about the Wed-Sat-Tues setup for SOME teams that results in 3 games in 7 days. Just like our political system....two sets of rules at play here it seems. I'd be curious to look back on previous schedules to see if this is just a fluke or if it's an annual thing. For UK to have ZERO quick turn around weeks is simply unjust. And it seems we're always on the road the Wed before we play them. Hell, no wonder we've hit a wall. It's built into the damned schedule.

Here's how many of those stretches each SEC team has in conf play.
3: Aub, Ark, Geo, OM, UT
2: Bama, UF, LSU, MSU, SC, TAM, VU
1: Mizz
0: UK

— Vince Ferrara (@VinceSports) February 21, 2019

Reactions: ru4real-really?
Sorry if already posted. This was in an article from this morning from Grant Ramey about the Wed-Sat-Tues setup for SOME teams that results in 3 games in 7 days. Just like our political system....two sets of rules at play here it seems. I'd be curious to look back on previous schedules to see if this is just a fluke or if it's an annual thing. For UK to have ZERO quick turn around weeks is simply unjust. And it seems we're always on the road the Wed before we play them. Hell, no wonder we've hit a wall. It's built into the damned schedule.

0: UK

This is mostly a result of BSPN and its TV deal. UK is by far the biggest basketball brand in the SEC and BSPN wants them on Tuesday nights for ratings purposes.....

Reactions: cardvolfan
This is mostly a result of BSPN and its TV deal. UK is by far the biggest basketball brand in the SEC and BSPN wants them on Tuesday nights for ratings purposes.....

Exactly true, it’s not a secret or conspiracy, 100% due to TV wanting UK on Tuesday’s. With that said other coaches should be fighting against that in league meetings and push for a more balanced schedule. They should require Tuesday games to be evenly distributed and thus making this more balanced for everyone, good for UK that they’re a draw, but the league should create a balanced schedule.

It's all relative. Because if you have a stretch like that, you get to rest an extra day before your next saturday game (after Tuesday) or you get an extra day to rest before the Wednesday game (after saturday). so just depends on how you look at it. I think it's a bigger deal for scouting/game prep than player rest. i mean they don't get any days rest during march, so i don't think there's that big of a difference between 1 day from physical readiness perspective

Exactly true, it’s not a secret or conspiracy, 100% due to TV wanting UK on Tuesday’s. With that said other coaches should be fighting against that in league meetings and push for a more balanced schedule. They should require Tuesday games to be evenly distributed and thus making this more balanced for everyone, good for UK that they’re a draw, but the league should create a balanced schedule.
While it might not be a conspiracy to create a scheduling advantage, it is a conspiracy to get UK more advantageous publicity and airtime, which in turn has lead to a scheduling advantage. As you said, every other SEC president, AD, and head coach should riot over this at the league meetings. It's ridiculous. UK already has the talent advantage. They don't need an additional advantage is publicity and scheduling. Every game is on TV, now, so the TV excuse isn't really valid.

In terms of fairness in scheduling, it should happen, but I doubt it will, as the almighty dollar wins out again.

I read it somewhere but honestly am too lazy to look this up. The real KY advantage is that 7 of their Saturday opponents have to play on Wednesday before the game. That means that every Saturday, KY gets an extra day of prep and rest. If this is not true, I apologize for bringing it up.

I read it somewhere but honestly am too lazy to look this up. The real KY advantage is that 7 of their Saturday opponents have to play on Wednesday before the game. That means that every Saturday, KY gets an extra day of prep and rest. If this is not true, I apologize for bringing it up.
I think UK has that advantage on every SEC Saturday opponent with the exception of the first SEC game of the season, so it would happen 8 times, I believe. For example, Tennessee only plays on Wednesday twice this season ahead of an SEC Saturday opponent. Both times, it is Kentucky we play that Saturday.

0: UK ce

A quick study on my part deals with what I think is the real questions about the KY conspiracy theories... it deals with the the number of times a team can be at a disadvantage of playing on shorter rest. It centers on how many Wed. games each team has. Since everybody has Sat games whoever you play on Tues or Wed will have the same rest. But if you have a Wed game your opponent may have had a Tue game and therefore more rested. Here are my findings on how many Wed games CONFERENCE games each team has...

6 GA, FL, VU
5 LSU, AU
4 Mo, Ark,
3 TN, TAM
2 AL, SC, MSU, MISS
1 na
0 KENTUCKY

I THINK I have verified that all KY conference games on Sat except the first game the opponent had a Wed Game therefore they had an extra days rest EVERY Sat. Have not looked at everybody, but both UT and KY had 4 Sat home games and 5 Sat away games. Not everybody started the first Sat and some did not play in the challenge had a chance for a confernce game home or away so it can vary for each school.

Also for what it is worth we had short rest advantage on the road at FL and TAM and at home for AL. That is 3 of 9 saturdays to their 8 of 9.

Conspiracy theories can be further feed by the following for sure....

KY is the only team to not have any Wed games.

KY ended up with short rest advantages both HOME and AWAY for UT and AU... the two teams projected to be at the top of the league with them. For good measure it is that way for FL as well.

Out of our three Wed games two precede the KY games.

Now I don't think the league office is smart enough to have figured this out during scheduling, but for sure need to insure these types of inequities never happen again before they release the schedules. Maximum and minimum Wed. games need to established.

Maybe they need to establish schedules by numbers 1-14 and then have a public lottery drawing with one drum with the numbers and one with the team logos. This could still be done leaving one Saturday open for the Big 12 Challenge with 4 byes. This should also eliminate the situations with bad distribution of games with both early or late in the season. Then show the results to the networks for them to do their thing and if both schools want to move a game to another day with league approval so be it. Some reasonable deviation of mid week games would be OK... but one with zero Wed and some with 6 is just not equitable and every Saturday game could be with teams that played on the same mid week day.

Edited to add that there might have to be some method to pair some schedule dates for those games where you play the same team twice in a season... should not be rocket science though....

Last edited:
I think a little bit of this problem is driven by other conferences like the ACC. The Duke/North Carolina game was on Wednesday. Being Kentucky is the big draw for the media market for the SEC, then I'm sure ESPN or the SEC doesn't want to be up against that game. Just a thought.
Go Vols!

A quick study on my part deals with what I think is the real questions about the KY conspiracy theories... it deals with the the number of times a team can be at a disadvantage of playing on shorter rest. It centers on how many Wed. games each team has. Since everybody has Sat games whoever you play on Tues or Wed will have the same rest. But if you have a Wed game your opponent may have had a Tue game and therefore more rested. Here are my findings on how many Wed games CONFERENCE games each team has...

6 GA, FL, VU
5 LSU, AU
4 Mo, Ark,
3 TN, TAM
2 AL, SC, MSU, MISS
1 na
0 KENTUCKY

I THINK I have verified that all KY conference games on Sat except the first game the opponent had a Wed Game therefore they had an extra days rest EVERY Sat. Have not looked at everybody, but both UT and KY had 4 Sat home games and 5 Sat away games. Not everybody started the first Sat and some did not play in the challenge had a chance for a confernce game home or away so it can vary for each school.

Also for what it is worth we had short rest advantage on the road at FL and TAM and at home for AL. That is 3 of 9 saturdays to their 8 of 9.

Conspiracy theories can be further feed by the following for sure....

KY is the only team to not have any Wed games.

KY ended up with short rest advantages both HOME and AWAY for UT and AU... the two teams projected to be at the top of the league with them. For good measure it is that way for FL as well.

Out of our three Wed games two precede the KY games.

Now I don't think the league office is smart enough to have figured this out during scheduling, but for sure need to insure these types of inequities never happen again before they release the schedules. Maximum and minimum Wed. games need to established.

Maybe they need to establish schedules by numbers 1-14 and then have a public lottery drawing with one drum with the numbers and one with the team logos. This could still be done leaving one Saturday open for the Big 12 Challenge with 4 byes. This should also eliminate the situations with bad distribution of games with both early or late in the season. Then show the results to the networks for them to do their thing and if both schools want to move a game to another day with league approval so be it. Some reasonable deviation of mid week games would be OK... but one with zero Wed and some with 6 is just not equitable and every Saturday game could be with teams that played on the same mid week day.

Edited to add that there might have to be some method to pair some schedule dates for those games where you play the same team twice in a season... should not be rocket science though....

Very good analysis.

I think a little bit of this problem is driven by other conferences like the ACC. The Duke/North Carolina game was on Wednesday. Being Kentucky is the big draw for the media market for the SEC, then I'm sure ESPN or the SEC doesn't want to be up against that game. Just a thought.
Go Vols!

Kentucky-Missouri could have been the lead game on espn wed night.

It's all relative. Because if you have a stretch like that, you get to rest an extra day before your next saturday game (after Tuesday) or you get an extra day to rest before the Wednesday game (after saturday). so just depends on how you look at it. I think it's a bigger deal for scouting/game prep than player rest. i mean they don't get any days rest during march, so i don't think there's that big of a difference between 1 day from physical readiness perspective
I thought the same thing too about it all being relative but when I looked at the schedule most all of UK's games with the higher ranked teams are on Saturday which means they have that extra day of prep, rest, etc for the better teams in the SEC. The teams UK plays on Saturday's: Tennessee, Florida, Auburn - 2 times each, 1 Miss St game, 1 Vandy, and Alabama

Go Vols!

Also, ESPN shows the NBA on Wednesday night. So, that takes another channel away for that night. It's why you see the Wednesday night SEC games on the SECN or ESPN2. They still can balance it out a little and put UK on a couple of times on Wednesday.

Also, ESPN shows the NBA on Wednesday night. So, that takes another channel away for that night. It's why you see the Wednesday night SEC games on the SECN or ESPN2. They still can balance it out a little and put UK on a couple of times on Wednesday.

Exactly, obviously ESPN is only worried about numbers and UK being on the main slot is better $$$ but to me the league should push for fairness.

Discussing the matter (Kentucky scheduling advantage) on WNML now with Al Brown (one of the best basketball minds IMHO).

Discussing the matter (Kentucky scheduling advantage) on WNML now with Al Brown (one of the best basketball minds IMHO).

If you are so inclined...maybe post a synopsis of his thoughts/comments?

If you are so inclined...maybe post a synopsis of his thoughts/comments?

John Wilkerson laid it out.... UK wanted all mid week games on Tuesday, and then how every "next Saturday" opponent had to play on Wednesday. AB said the other teams/coaches should have raised Cain about the schedule to the SEC office. Jimmy said he called the SEC office about the scheduling but had not received a call back about it. I had to run out about that time so I missed if the SEC office did get in touch with Jimmy. If I have a chance I will listen to the podcast of the 2nd hour to see if they said anything else.

John Wilkerson laid it out.... UK wanted all mid week games on Tuesday, and then how every "next Saturday" opponent had to play on Wednesday. AB said the other teams/coaches should have raised Cain about the schedule to the SEC office. Jimmy said he called the SEC office about the scheduling but had not received a call back about it. I had to run out about that time so I missed if the SEC office did get in touch with Jimmy. If I have a chance I will listen to the podcast of the 2nd hour to see if they said anything else.

If I read you correctly, UK basically said no to playing on Wed? They dictated Tuesday only? UK also called the shot to have their "next Saturday" opponent play on Wed? Am I reading this correctly? If so, how the hell does UK, or any team for that matter, have the say so over not only their schedule but that of the opposition? Maybe I'm tired and misreading your comments. If so, I apologize, but this just can't be possible.

Oh...and thanks for the info.

If I read you correctly, UK basically said no to playing on Wed? They dictated Tuesday only? UK also called the shot to have their "next Saturday" opponent play on Wed? Am I reading this correctly? If so, how the hell does UK, or any team for that matter, have the say so over not only their schedule but that of the opposition? Maybe I'm tired and misreading your comments. If so, I apologize, but this just can't be possible.

Oh...and thanks for the info.

No UK didn’t dictate either of those things...UK played on Tuesday because ESPN dictated that for ratings. As for every Saturday opponent playing the previous Wednesday, THAT is definitely a bit of a conspiracy and an issue, but no UK didn’t dictate that either.

The way I thought I heard it was uk wanted all the midweek games on Tues.... but I may have had the tin foil hat on. Correct that uk did not dictate that every future Sat opponent had to play on Wed. At least not publicly.

I thought the same thing too about it all being relative but when I looked at the schedule most all of UK's games with the higher ranked teams are on Saturday which means they have that extra day of prep, rest, etc for the better teams in the SEC. The teams UK plays on Saturday's: Tennessee, Florida, Auburn - 2 times each, 1 Miss St game, 1 Vandy, and Alabama

I do not understand the relative angle above... but I have missed the boat before. To me it is plain that if KY consistently gets Tuesday to Saturday every week and the teams they play get Wed. to Saturday they are getting an extra day to rest and hydrate. Worst thing in this example is that 45% of the games are played on Wed. and 55% are played on Tuesday, then how in the world do explain that they get no Saturday games against rest of the teams that played on Tuesday that week like they did. What are the odds of that just happening?

I think every team should have roughly the same amount of Tuesday and Wednesday games and an attempt to make their Saturday games against teams that played on the same day should be made to keep the playing courts even. Fair is fair... gerrymandering schedules is not. We should not compromise the integrity of the schedule to make ESPN happy....

I do not understand the relative angle above... but I have missed the boat before. To me it is plain that if KY consistently gets Tuesday to Saturday every week and the teams they play get Wed. to Saturday they are getting an extra day to rest and hydrate. Worst thing in this example is that 45% of the games are played on Wed. and 55% are played on Tuesday, then how in the world do explain that they get no Saturday games against rest of the teams that played on Tuesday that week like they did. What are the odds of that just happening?

I think every team should have roughly the same amount of Tuesday and Wednesday games and an attempt to make their Saturday games against teams that played on the same day should be made to keep the playing courts even. Fair is fair... gerrymandering schedules is not. We should not compromise the integrity of the schedule to make ESPN happy....
Someone already posted the odds of it happening randomly. It was something like thousandths of 1 percent.

VN Store

Back