Question for the more knowledgeable

1vol8

How much influence, if any, does a typical AD take into who to recruit?

As far as recruiting players? I would guess not much. An AD would not have time for that. At least that’s what I would think.
Just curious if they look at prospects around the country and point coaches in a direction that otherwise may be overlooked. Not the actual recruiting itself.

Just curious if they look at prospects around the country and point coaches in a direction that otherwise may be overlooked. Not the actual recruiting itself.
I doubt they could tell the coaches/recruiters something that they didn’t already know.

Reactions: bpalmer28
Not true. There are hundreds of thousands of prospects every year. You’re giving way too much credit if you think the coaches have evaluated every one at every position. The term “flying under the radar” exists for a reason.

The AD makes all decisions as to who the coaching staff recruits. Just ask Saban, he would be nothing without whoever his AD is.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
Not directly. But they would have an impact on consultants that do recruiting evaluations.

They could potentially have a dampening effect if they meddled too much in style of play as Fulmer apparently did.

Reactions: 1vol8
The AD makes all decisions as to who the coaching staff recruits. Just ask Saban, he would be nothing without whoever his AD is.
Saban is the AD,........THE PRESIDENT,...........CHANCELLOR, ........Head Coach is his camoflauge.

Generally, I'd say not so much...their job to set the foundations of sports programs. Now, if you have a rock star type AD, like it appears we have, I think it could help. We're going to need to be mending fences with hs coaches. NO HS coach wants his players to go to troubled program, but if they see we've finally got our act together up to AD, it may help us recover faster.

Not directly. But they would have an impact on consultants that do recruiting evaluations.

They could potentially have a dampening effect if they meddled too much in style of play as Fulmer apparently did.
That’s the answer I was looking for. No surprise it came from you. It’s hard to imagine they don’t keep their eyes open and throw a little “might want to take a look at this guy” action in there from time to time. Especially the ones that may be under evaluated by the services.

Generally, I'd say not so much...their job to set the foundations of sports programs. Now, if you have a rock star type AD, like it appears we have, I think it could help. We're going to need to be mending fences with hs coaches. NO HS coach wants his players to go to troubled program, but if they see we've finally got our act together up to AD, it may help us recover faster.
UT is in a position that it HAS to make a home run hire. I’m not ruling out Freeze, Kiffin or even Heupel (because of his ties and witnessed success).

That’s the answer I was looking for. No surprise it came from you. It’s hard to imagine they don’t keep their eyes open and throw a little “might want to take a look at this guy” action in there from time to time. Especially the ones that may be under evaluated by the services.
I'm sure it happens. It definitely would not hurt to have an AD with good HS coaching relationships. That's definitely a possible plus for White considering his time in Florida.

Am I wrong or was UCF's success built on overlooked/underrecruited Florida kids?

OTOH, if I'm the new AD interviewing guys... I want someone who has a plan for building a wall around Tennessee. Pruitt pretty much blew TN HSFB off.

I'm sure it happens. It definitely would not hurt to have an AD with good HS coaching relationships. That's definitely a possible plus for White considering his time in Florida.

Am I wrong or was UCF's success built on overlooked/underrecruited Florida kids?

OTOH, if I'm the new AD interviewing guys... I want someone who has a plan for building a wall around Tennessee. Pruitt pretty much blew TN HSFB off.
You’re absolutely right. It was a team full of three stars that flew under the radar since Frost. They were just well coached and developed. People underestimate Florida talent.

You’re absolutely right. It was a team full of three stars that flew under the radar since Frost. They were just well coached and developed. People underestimate Florida talent.
Half or more of any NFL draft will be made up of players ranked 3* or lower. If a coach has a special talent for recognizing talent then it is feasible to build a 5* roster out of 3* players. Granted UCF doesn't play the consistent competition you see in the SEC. But they have shown the ability to compete with Power 5 programs.

A good AD makes sure each sport has everything they need to succeed. The coach would share his vision for the AD, and the AD would offer support and accountability.

Reactions: 1vol8
MOST of them try to steer coaches away from recruiting kids who would accept cash in a fast food bag.
A lot of these kids are from broken homes and/or poverty. Finding a kid that WOULDN'T take a fast food bag of cash is rare. It’s easy for most of US to say what a kid should and shouldn’t do in that regard while most of us are financially stable adults. However, put yourself in that kids shoes. A bag of money is handed to you on a visit while knowing your mom and siblings are at home starving while you’re having a good time and eating at the finest restaurants the city has to offer. You’d be fooling yourself if you think there’s no guilty feeling. After all, your dreams of making it to the league originate from your own personal goals AS WELL as getting your loved ones out of the mess you grew up in. When you look at it from that perspective, it changes the way you feel about the KID that excepted the cash. Which is WHY I personally don’t agree that a first offense should be punishable to the fullest for the athlete but SHOULD be punished to the fullest for the coach.

Reactions: 4chrissy

VN Store

Back