Question for Old Timer Vol hoops fans

Yes. I don't see myself as an old-timer so I may not be the targeted audience for this one, but my first game was 87. I have suffered through much misery like so many others who have been all in on bball for a long time. A final 4 trip would be an emotional thing for me.

Not sure if I'm as old as some, but it's definitely on any list of mine, bucket or otherwise.

The best live chance I've had so far was the Sweet Sixteen in San Antonio back in 2007 - you know, the one where they gave Ohio State three dozen free throw attempts and the Buckeyes ended up winning by one point. One of the most disgusting things I've ever had to see live. I still have the unused Elite Eight tickets from that regional. Can't throw them away, but can't stomach looking at them. I am convinced that Tennessee team would have made the Final Four had the officials not handed out free throw attempts to Mike Conley like they were Tic Tacs.

Ironically enough, I am within an hour's drive of San Antonio (I had moved away for some years), and Tennessee could very likely end up in the AT&T Center in two weeks. I realize a superstitious person might say "don't go," but in my heart I'm excited as all get out. If Tennessee holds serve, it could be a chance to see the Vols live, and a chance to erase that horrid memory and replace it with a better one. To say nothing of the fact New Orleans is a regular drive I've made this year as well. I don't expect anything -- but I hope.

Not an old timer, but if we were to make it to the final 4, there’s no way I’m not there. Basketball has made all these years of mediocre football not so bad for me. Growing up during the worst stretch of vol football in the state of Alabama wasn’t fun, at all.

I followed the Vols when Mears was at Tennessee, before Ernie and Bernie. A men's final four would be something worth traveling to as a Vol fan.

My first and only UT basketball game was a game played in Memphis in the mid 60's as I remember. ( I think) Where we beat Memphis (I think again). So if my Vols were to play a a preseason game within say 50 miles of my home, then I would try to attend! Otherwise it's TV for me!

I moved! My last Vol BB game attended was the NCAA tourney game played in Murfreesboro or Cookville in late 70's. I don't even remember who the Vols played or if they won or lost. I do remember the first game that afternoon was Michigan State against somebody and they had a freshman or soph guard they called "Magic!" My, how time flies!

I moved! My last Vol BB game attended was the NCAA tourney game played in Murfreesboro or Cookville in late 70's. I don't even remember who the Vols played or if they won or lost. I do remember the first game that afternoon was Michigan State against somebody and they had a freshman or soph guard they called "Magic!" My, how time flies!
Murfreesboro 1979. Wow. UT won first round but lost to ND in the second round. Thanks for sharing. I had no idea Magic played in the Boro.

Reactions: VollyParton
Wow. What was that like? I played pickup games there in the late 80's and fell in love with the place.
Me, too, until they put lids with locks on the rims. But, we just went to the upstairs gym and played, instead

My first few games were at Alumni gym, so I guess I qualify. Would love to go, but out of my price range
my parents were regulars there when Dad was in grad school
when we moved back to knoxville in late 50s, they took me to Carnicus (sp) there many times

I followed the Vols when Mears was at Tennessee, before Ernie and Bernie. A men's final four would be something worth traveling to as a Vol fan.

I started following in my youth pre-Stokley in the Armory days.......
I cannot remember what year for sure, but I do remember one side being just bleachers as the student section. Guessing it was the 63-64 season, maybe a year earlier.

Reactions: tennrich1
My first game was 3/5/1977 in Stokley against Kentucky for the SEC Regular Season Champion. 3 OT's. Heck of a game. Been hooked ever since. Yes a Final 4 would be awesome to attend.

I’m getting the impression from these posts that if the Vols make it to New Orleans that there will be a lot of French Quarter Hurricane drinks consumed (maybe with Geritol chasers, lol ).

VN Store

Back