Question for long time Vol BBall fans

peyton4heisman

Senior Lurker New Member
I have only been watching the basketball team closely since the beginning of the Pearl Era. My earliest memories of the team from my childhood are seeing Steve Hamer and thinking he was the tallest man alive.

That being said, I have a lot of history to catch up on. Right now, to my knowledge, CJ Watson and Tobias Harris are the only 2 Vols on NBA rosters that see significant pt. (Please correct me if I'm wrong). Are they the only pair of Vols other than Ernie and Bernie that have played significantly at the same time in the NBA?

Also, other than the aforementioned players and Alan Houston, are there any other Vols that made it in the modern-era NBA? (I'm sure some have made rosters or practice squads but I mean that actually played a real career)

Thanks for the info and sorry if I sound stupid

Jimmy England was a point guard for Tennessee in the late 60s to early 70s.
A 6-foot-1 guard from Knoxville, England was a two-time first-team All-SEC performer and also was named a first-team 1971 Helms Athletic Foundation All-America selection after averaging 20.6 points per game.

Known by the nickname “Mr. Clutch,” he finished his college career ranked third on UT’s all-time scoring list with 1,407 career points. He was Tennessee’s top scorer, free-throw shooter and assists man as both a junior and senior.

Jimmy played a little bit in the NBA for the Bulls and Pacers before moving on and starting his own business. Jimmy had a brother, Gary, who also played college basketball for Auburn.

Bball has not been bery bery good to us.

We've had a ton of college level stars but only a handful of NBA stars which for me is fine. Not to much of a NBA fan anyways. So many more opportunities nowadays with the rise of European basketball....

Dale Ellis played for the super sonics and was a beast of a three point shooter in the league

I always kind of chuckle thinking about the 6'7" Ellis playing post against the 7'2" Ralph Sampson in the tourney that year :cray:

The Vols I can think of with significant time in the NBA:
Tom Boerwinkle -late 60s
Ernie & Bernie - 70s & 80s
Reggie Johnson - 80s
Dale Ellis - 80s & 90s
Allan Houston - 90s & 00s
Harris & Watson - as mentioned above

That's of course by no means an exhaustive list, just the ones that quickly stand out in my mind.

There were others like CJ Black that had the proverbial "cup of coffee" there, but couldn't sustain any longevity.

Reactions: 2 people
Marcus Haislip and Vincent Yarborough played a couple of years each. Sorry, about the spelling.

Reactions: 2 people
But for real we'll have two more in the league after this year...McRae and Stokes. Idk how well they'll do but I think McRae has a chance to develop into a nice 6th man in a few years!

I have only been watching the basketball team closely since the beginning of the Pearl Era. My earliest memories of the team from my childhood are seeing Steve Hamer and thinking he was the tallest man alive.

That being said, I have a lot of history to catch up on. Right now, to my knowledge, CJ Watson and Tobias Harris are the only 2 Vols on NBA rosters that see significant pt. (Please correct me if I'm wrong). Are they the only pair of Vols other than Ernie and Bernie that have played significantly at the same time in the NBA?

Also, other than the aforementioned players and Alan Houston, are there any other Vols that made it in the modern-era NBA? (I'm sure some have made rosters or practice squads but I mean that actually played a real career)

Thanks for the info and sorry if I sound stupid

Steve Hammer was the first memories I had as well and yes he did seem like the tallest man in the world lol.

Keep in mind there are significantly fewer college players which move on to the pros in BB than in FB. That being said, the player noted in this post represent the best players I can remember. Dale Ellis was one of the best players I remember after The E & B show.

:whistling:

While we are on the subject of former Vols that made it to the NBA,would CJ Watson be the first to win a championship?

Looking at those stats (and maybe I missed a few) Tennessee is 2nd all time in the SEC behind Kentucky (who doubles us lol)

Doug Roth played about a week for the Washington Bullets.

Dyron Nix played briefly for the Pacers.

Ed Wiener was drafted by the Philadelphia Warriors in the 50's but I'm not sure if/how long of a NBA career he had.

VN Store

Back