Question for Freak (and anyone else with info)

preacherwebb

KJV1611
Dear Mods,
Please, pretty please, with sugar on top, leave this in the FF for a little, for the sake of helping me get some answers.
Thanks,
PreacherWebb

Okay, so I'm getting ready to cut the cord soon, probably going to YouTube TV. My question @Freak is (or anyone else), how do you record the games, delete commercials, make it nice and smooth, and post to your YouTube channel? What programs do you use? What equipment does it take?

I'm from the analog age, where it's all about cables and connections. I record on DVR and then put it on DVD. I haven't a clue how to do what you do.

Now, the reason I'm asking is, YouTube TV is an app on my TV, so I can't get the signal to pass thru the DVD Recorder (from the DVR to the DVD Recorder to the TV).
I do have a little converter box thingy that will go from HD in to RCA out, so I can run from my laptop (game on YT TV) to the DVD Recorder to the TV, but the picture looses a bit more quality than I'd like.

Okay, now, I do have a free program called "Freemake Converter" where I can take a youtube video, facebook, ect, or whatever is on my laptop, and burn it onto a disc as well.

Sooooo (sorry for the long post to ask a simple question) ..... help please.

Thanks in advance.

As a Youtube TV user, I guess my question is, why do you need to put the game on DVD or Youtube when part of the package is unlimited cloud DVR and the games are all available to stream after the fact via the ESPN app anyway?

It's a collection thing.
And to my understanding, the YT TV cloud deletes items after 8 months (at least that's what I read).
Can I go on the ESPN app and watch 1985 UT crush Auburn? The first night game in Neyland? The last time UT beat Clemson?
I know there are people's channels on regular YT that people have posted stuff like that, but it's not just about being able to watch it.

It's just about a collection. I'm too far down the road to stop now. Not as far as LWS (who has an incredible collection) but far enough.

(I hope that wasn't rude or condescending on my part GAVol. Sorry if it was.)

Reactions: Seattle Hillbilly
@preacherwebb I bought a Fire Stick 4G over Christmas. There are youtube videos that can show you how to get IPTV with a fire stick. Imagine getting all of the channels from the most expensive Dish plan... for about $15/month.

The catches are the navigation between channels stinks on most of them. You have to be careful that you aren't dealing with a bad company. Also, you have to have pretty good internet service. If you have fiber or other high speed then you're golden.

I've been amazed by the number of channels. Something like 4,000 on the service I'm trying. A lot of them are foreign channels but there are tons of extra sports channels too. There are 24/7 movie channels and TV channels. They have one channel that just plays Friends.

You also get some pay per view events for free along with several movie channels like HBO.

Reactions: Pickinhick
PS- I am still using youtubetv also. The navigation is much better as well as the transmission quality.

It's a collection thing.
And to my understanding, the YT TV cloud deletes items after 8 months (at least that's what I read).
Can I go on the ESPN app and watch 1985 UT crush Auburn? The first night game in Neyland? The last time UT beat Clemson?
I know there are people's channels on regular YT that people have posted stuff like that, but it's not just about being able to watch it.

It's just about a collection. I'm too far down the road to stop now. Not as far as LWS (who has an incredible collection) but far enough.

(I hope that wasn't rude or condescending on my part GAVol. Sorry if it was.)
No offense taken.... I understand exactly what you're saying. You clearly know a little more about this than you're letting on. Just making sure you understood what you could do via streaming.

PS- I am still using youtubetv also. The navigation is much better as well as the transmission quality.
Nobody really talks about the navigation much, but you are so right.

No offense taken.... I understand exactly what you're saying. You clearly know a little more about this than you're letting on. Just making sure you understood what you could do via streaming.

I know it's probably silly, but I'm really anxious about switching. I've been with DTV for close to 20 years. It's just dependable and all. But it's just getting stupid expensive (at least to me).

I've researched the streaming services, and if I switch, it'll probably be YTTV. I'll know for sure during the free trial (which I'm putting off til after the superbowl). I know some stuff in theory (about streaming) but not in practice. I have no idea what sjt18 was talking about, other than (if i'm not mistaken) these sticks you buy are full of apps like a smart tv has. I have no idea what a IPTV is or does.

Now, as for what I was asking originally, about how to get a game from the cloud to a disc without loosing too much picture quality, I know there's a way, I just don't know how yet. It just seems like something @Freak would know. I'm sure many others of VN as well.

I know it's probably silly, but I'm really anxious about switching. I've been with DTV for close to 20 years. It's just dependable and all. But it's just getting stupid expensive (at least to me).

I've researched the streaming services, and if I switch, it'll probably be YTTV. I'll know for sure during the free trial (which I'm putting off til after the superbowl). I know some stuff in theory (about streaming) but not in practice. I have no idea what sjt18 was talking about, other than (if i'm not mistaken) these sticks you buy are full of apps like a smart tv has. I have no idea what a IPTV is or does.

Now, as for what I was asking originally, about how to get a game from the cloud to a disc without loosing too much picture quality, I know there's a way, I just don't know how yet. It just seems like something @Freak would know. I'm sure many others of VN as well.
You might want to go hit the cord cutting thread in the Pub. Everybody gets freaked out about leaving cable/satellite but it's one of those things that you're over in about 15 minutes once you figure out how to navigate things and realize it's all going to be ok.

Stream it through your PC, run a program to record, and then edit the commercials out of the recording. It's going to be significantly easier to do with a computer than with your TV. If you're discussing recording while watching the game, YTV then watch the game on TV vs the ESPN app while you record the YTV stream on a PC.

Reactions: BucksnortVol
Stream it through your PC, run a program to record, and then edit the commercials out of the recording. It's going to be significantly easier to do with a computer than with your TV. If you're discussing recording while watching the game, YTV then watch the game on TV vs the ESPN app while you record the YTV stream on a PC.

This is what I'm asking. What program? What do I do on my laptop to get the game ready to burn onto disc?

This is where I'm outta my realm. If it was cables and wires, I'm good. This digital stuff is currently over my head. But it I can learn to post a gif on VolNation ...

Reactions: SmokinBob and vol66
This is what I'm asking. What program? What do I do on my laptop to get the game ready to burn onto disc?

This is where I'm outta my realm. If it was cables and wires, I'm good. This digital stuff is currently over my head. But it I can learn to post a gif on VolNation ...

I'm going to talk to you like I would my grandpa. If that comes off as condescending, I apologize, but I'm just not familiar with your level of tech knowledge.

There are a million (hyperbole) programs that will record what is playing on your screen. Google "best laptop recording software." You'll get results of many programs with many capabilities and differing price ranges. Find something that is well-reviewed and at a price you're comfortable paying. Make sure it outputs in a format that Youtube accepts (most good software will list being compatible with Youtube as a feature.) You will also need a program that can edit that format of video as well as a program that can burn it to a DVD (possibly the same program). Do this again with a Google search as there are a ton of options there, too.

If you're only worried about the collection part and not the process, then I would suggest waiting for someone else to upload the game (let them do the hard part) on YouTube, then download the video afterwards. There are programs out there that can download videos off of YouTube. Unfortunately I don't know the names of them as it's nothing I've ever had to do.

Dear Mods,
Please, pretty please, with sugar on top, leave this in the FF for a little, for the sake of helping me get some answers.
Thanks,
PreacherWebb

Okay, so I'm getting ready to cut the cord soon, probably going to YouTube TV. My question @Freak is (or anyone else), how do you record the games, delete commercials, make it nice and smooth, and post to your YouTube channel? What programs do you use? What equipment does it take?

I'm from the analog age, where it's all about cables and connections. I record on DVR and then put it on DVD. I haven't a clue how to do what you do.

Now, the reason I'm asking is, YouTube TV is an app on my TV, so I can't get the signal to pass thru the DVD Recorder (from the DVR to the DVD Recorder to the TV).
I do have a little converter box thingy that will go from HD in to RCA out, so I can run from my laptop (game on YT TV) to the DVD Recorder to the TV, but the picture looses a bit more quality than I'd like.

Okay, now, I do have a free program called "Freemake Converter" where I can take a youtube video, facebook, ect, or whatever is on my laptop, and burn it onto a disc as well.

Thanks in advance.
Recording on YTTV is easy - you just "add to library" You will need to practice navigating to that screen but it's pretty easy. You can also program it to record all UT football events so once you set it up once, you can essentially forget about recording each game. I made the switch to YTTV late last year and have not looked back.

Recording on YTTV is easy - you just "add to library" You will need to practice navigating to that screen but it's pretty easy. You can also program it to record all UT football events so once you set it up once, you can essentially forget about recording each game. I made the switch to YTTV late last year and have not looked back.

Great! I look forward to using that feature soon. I feel sure that if I really do cut the cord, it'll be with YTTV.
Now, how do I get that recorded program onto a DVD from the cloud?

If you're only worried about the collection part and not the process, then I would suggest waiting for someone else to upload the game (let them do the hard part) on YouTube, then download the video afterwards. There are programs out there that can download videos off of YouTube. Unfortunately I don't know the names of them as it's nothing I've ever had to do.

Yeah, I've found that to be hit or miss. If I know how to do the hard part myself, I can be independent, rather than relying on others.
I'm trying to catch up on the digital aspect of things ... shoot, I'm still using an iphone 4 (not even a 4s).

Great! I look forward to using that feature soon. I feel sure that if I really do cut the cord, it'll be with YTTV.
Only thing getting it into the cloud is going to do is buy you some time. I would think that the process for getting a game on DVD (which Iā€™m clueless about) would be the same either way.

Do a google search for "capture software". You'll see some that have editing functions built as well. Not sure what type of tv you have but most can play video files as long as it's a recognizable format (.mp4, .mov, .avi etc) so you can save it to a usb and play it right off of there. Burning to a dvd, you'll need extra software because a dvd player won't recognize a file saved straight to a dvd. Simply copying the video file on the dvd makes it a data dvd and not a movie dvd( i hope that makes sense). So do a google search for "dvd movie maker". I've used Nero to make DVDs in the past, but now I just save all my videos to a hard drive and back those up. I don't even own a dvd player anymore, just game consoles haha. Good luck!

Reactions: preacherwebb
Cue Joe Walsh: I'm an analog man in a digital world".

Attachments

• 16th+Annual+Race+Erase+MS+Event+Show+B9-CPWrnc6Ol.jpg
    16th+Annual+Race+Erase+MS+Event+Show+B9-CPWrnc6Ol.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: MAD
You might want to go hit the cord cutting thread in the Pub. Everybody gets freaked out about leaving cable/satellite but it's one of those things that you're over in about 15 minutes once you figure out how to navigate things and realize it's all going to be ok.
This...

What's cable? šŸ˜Ž

Reactions: johnsonbrewer
Dear Mods,
Thanks,
PreacherWebb

Thanks in advance.

I'm old school and don't like change.. Sooooo, I will hang with Directv. The cost to be able to capture what I want and put the files on my hard drives (12 TB capacity) is easy for me to justify... I don't have financial issues so that certainly helps. But rather than learn new stuff at age 72, I will just continue what I have..

704 UT Football games
Over 300 UT basketball games
Over 200 LadyVol basketball games
Every SEC Championship Football game
Every BCS / Playoff Championship Football game
Every Super Bowl game..
Dozens of SEC historical shows from ESPN and SEC Network
the 1968 World Series..

Think I will just keep my process.

Last edited:
LWS in the House!!! Did you continue/update the locker? Donā€™t mean to get off topic.

VN Store

Back