Question for Arky State Fans?

KCVolLaw

V-O-L-S Go Vols Go
I'm sure there are some Arky State fans on here. Just had a few questions. First I'd just like to get some outlooks on the game. Second, I went to high school with Levi Thompson and was wondering how he was doing this year?

It's really hard for most of us to gauge how things will go in Knoxville because in the past this team has rolled over while on the road. In our only road game this season, the offense tore Texas up between the 20s but once they got into the red zone they couldn't execute. The ASU defense is excellent, especially the secondary.

I expect a low scoring game, but beyond that, it's hard to say. Out of nowhere we have a balanced offensive attack (after a run, run, pass, punt offense the past few years) and the jury is still out on just how good this team can be. Texas and SMU couldn't stop this offense.

If we lose, our special teams will probably cost us this game. Kick coverage is decent, punting is mediocre at best, field goal kicking is average.

As for Levi Thompson, I know he had a 10-yard or so fumble return in Jonesboro during the SMU game. He redshirted last year.

It's really hard for most of us to gauge how things will go in Knoxville because in the past this team has rolled over while on the road. In our only road game this season, the offense tore Texas up between the 20s but once they got into the red zone they couldn't execute. The ASU defense is excellent, especially the secondary.

I expect a low scoring game, but beyond that, it's hard to say. Out of nowhere we have a balanced offensive attack (after a run, run, pass, punt offense the past few years) and the jury is still out on just how good this team can be. Texas and SMU couldn't stop this offense.

If we lose, our special teams will probably cost us this game. Kick coverage is decent, punting is mediocre at best, field goal kicking is average.

As for Levi Thompson, I know he had a 10-yard or so fumble return in Jonesboro during the SMU game. He redshirted last year.

ah thanks for the input and welcome to the board. I have a feeling that it will be a very close game. Levi was a beast in high school, hope he can be a big time player for you guys in the future.

In the past ASU has played these types of games with the intent of avoiding injuries and collecting the big check. Almost every year we'd hear someone on the coaching staff say that they were brought in to win home games and conference games.

This changed though at Auburn last year. Suddenly we were playing to keep these games close, and at Texas, we were playing to win. That's why I'm so torn on what to expect - will the ASU team of years past come out and lose by 40 or will the new ASU team come out and knock you guys off your feet?

We'll all be seeing come Saturday. Hope it's a great injury free game for both teams since the bulk of conference play is still ahead for the Vols and all of conference play is still ahead for us.

In the past ASU has played these types of games with the intent of avoiding injuries and collecting the big check. Almost every year we'd hear someone on the coaching staff say that they were brought in to win home games and conference games.

This changed though at Auburn last year. Suddenly we were playing to keep these games close, and at Texas, we were playing to win. That's why I'm so torn on what to expect - will the ASU team of years past come out and lose by 40 or will the new ASU team come out and knock you guys off your feet?

We'll all be seeing come Saturday. Hope it's a great injury free game for both teams since the bulk of conference play is still ahead for the Vols and all of conference play is still ahead for us.
The Sun Belt flexed some muscle last week. Picked off the Big XII and the Big 10.

We feel like are starters can compete with just about anyone in the country, but we just don't have much depth after that. Some our guys in the secondary are SEC caliber athletes, and we have an above average QB and RB. I think UT takes control after the half and wins by a couple of tds. The longer we hang around the better chance we have because this team has played better in the 4th quater. I can't wiat to get to Knoxville

I'm sure there are some Arky State fans on here. Just had a few questions. First I'd just like to get some outlooks on the game. Second, I went to high school with Levi Thompson and was wondering how he was doing this year?

ASU offense v. UT defense.
Rushing
Looking at the stats, clearly UT has issues stopping a very good running game. Is ASU's very good? Hard to tell, its good but its no Cal or UF. The USM rushing numbers worry me.
Passing
ASU is passing better than in the past. The o-line is giving up a few too many sacks, not good. Neither Cal nor Florida had a load of passing attempts against UT but didn't need to. USM passed effectively. My greatest concern for ASU is sacks yielded and Leonard's tendency to at times force a throw or underthrow when trying to make a touch pass.

UT offense v. ASU defense
Rushing
No one is going wide on ASU so far and when they do it tends to not be terribly effective. UT has a good size advantage in the trenches but so far look better at pass blocking than run blocking. I expect the Vols to get some yards here but I don't think it is probable that UT can just power to a win. That demands going to the air.
Passing
ASU's secondary is good. The linebackers have performed well in pass coverage. The problem is UT isn't giving up sacks and ASU hasn't had a lot of luck getting sacks after facing two mobile QB's. The best cover men in the world won't help if the QB has all week to pick a target.

Special teams
Placekicking is better than average but nothing else stands out. ASU has some decent speed on returns but no really good returns so far. UT has a big edge in special teams.

VN Store

Back