Question about Too’Too and Crouch and the famous Transfer Portal.

allstar34bd

I don’t know the rules on players that are in the transfer portal; but I do know in the work field once you have one foot out the door it’s usually better to walk out and continue elsewhere. Is it possible to just cut ties with them and set a precedence of buy in or get out. I’ve been around co-workers that stuck around and it only causes more issues down the road with bad attitudes and constant what if’s.

“We don’t have a timeline on those guys,” new Vols defensive coordinator Tim Banks said during his introductory press conference on Monday. “They are not here obviously, at this point, so we’re super excited about the guys that are here in the program that are working”

“I’ve had conversations with them,” new Vols inside linebackers coach Brian Jean-Mary said. “But with them being in the portal, I am just focusing on the guys that are here. Obviously those two are great players and we will see what happens with them in the future, but right now I am focusing on the guys that are with us”.

(Source) Vols defensive assistants update status of To'o To'o, Crouch | RTI

Reactions: jackieaprilesr
For the players, their decision doesn’t exist in a vacuum, so it’s hard to know what’s going on. ‘They took money and are quitting on their team’ is just as likely as ‘Their families are pressuring them to go somewhere else, but their love for their teammates and UT has kept them from leaving.’ And of course there are multiple other factors involved impacting their decisions. Hard to really put ourselves in their shoes. Hopefully the players will come to a decision that helps them succeed. UT will be fine with whatever they decide.

As far as I'm concerned, if they wanted to be here they'd be here. I guarantee you they were on the Pruitt payroll and that's why they are now in the portal. They are looking to move on, so should we.

This all day. I am 100% in favor of college athletes being able to financially benefit from their popularity. I am also completely aware that EVERYONE engages in "illegal" recruiting. I am not naïve to the fact that is the "norm". Additionally, I firmly believe that the team(s) that commit these violations more frequently and severely than most teams (bama, clemson, auburn, georgia) are turned a blind eye to in the name of the all mighty ratings dollars pushed by networks and marketing firms. I agree that kids should be allowed to transfer, but under more restrictions than a blanket "one-time" transfer rule without penalty. Athletes should be granted one transfer, but only after their true freshmen year. If you get to a place and it turns out to be not as advertised, you will know it after one season. Only exceptions to the one-time transfer should be for grad transfers or program sanctions. These kids need to learn about honoring your word. I don't say that as rude, because some kids these days genuinely have not been taught the importance of that. This is not unique to athletes. Coaches should set the examples for this practice as well. I do not want to stand in the way of anyone furthering their careers, but contracts, agreements, etc,. need to be honored and financial penalty should be enforced if contracts are broken (unless for show cause situations and other violations leading to program penalties). In the "ultimate team sport", the emphasis is being placed more and more on individual success as the years pass and the idea of accomplishing something "together" is rapidly becoming a thing of the past.

I thought I read where the new DC said they were not with the team.

Their grant in aid letter likely entitles them to attend classes up to a specified date. When I was at UT, players with exhausted eligibility were required to move out of Gibbs into a regular dorm. A friend of mine living on Morell 6 inherited Robert Pulliam as a roommate for 2 quarters while he was waiting to go to the Canadian Football League. My friend weigh about 130 lbs and Pulliam was about a 280 lbs DT. Definitely an odd couple.

As far as I'm concerned, if they wanted to be here they'd be here. I guarantee you they were on the Pruitt payroll and that's why they are now in the portal. They are looking to move on, so should we.

Yep, I think in the long run, it’s best they stay gone. Not to take anything away from either...both are talented, but I think both are very replaceable...jmo.

This all day. I am 100% in favor of college athletes being able to financially benefit from their popularity. I am also completely aware that EVERYONE engages in "illegal" recruiting. I am not naïve to the fact that is the "norm". Additionally, I firmly believe that the team(s) that commit these violations more frequently and severely than most teams (bama, clemson, auburn, georgia) are turned a blind eye to in the name of the all mighty ratings dollars pushed by networks and marketing firms. I agree that kids should be allowed to transfer, but under more restrictions than a blanket "one-time" transfer rule without penalty. Athletes should be granted one transfer, but only after their true freshmen year. If you get to a place and it turns out to be not as advertised, you will know it after one season. Only exceptions to the one-time transfer should be for grad transfers or program sanctions. These kids need to learn about honoring your word. I don't say that as rude, because some kids these days genuinely have not been taught the importance of that. This is not unique to athletes. Coaches should set the examples for this practice as well. I do not want to stand in the way of anyone furthering their careers, but contracts, agreements, etc,. need to be honored and financial penalty should be enforced if contracts are broken (unless for show cause situations and other violations leading to program penalties). In the "ultimate team sport", the emphasis is being placed more and more on individual success as the years pass and the idea of accomplishing something "together" is rapidly becoming a thing of the past.

So players have to honor their word but universities and coaches can move on without vacating a season??

I don’t know the rules on players that are in the transfer portal; but I do know in the work field once you have one foot out the door it’s usually better to walk out and continue elsewhere. Is it possible to just cut ties with them and set a precedence of buy in or get out. I’ve been around co-workers that stuck around and it only causes more issues down the road with bad attitudes and constant what if’s.....

If UT wants, once a player has entered the transfer portal, they absolutely can choose to stop the players scholarship aid at the end of the term current to when the player entered the portal.

If that player wants to withdraw from the portal, the school can restore the scholarship aid if it wants to.

One a player enters the portal, UT has absolute control over what it chooses to do.

Reactions: allstar34bd
I thought I read where the new DC said they were not with the team.

Their grant in aid letter likely entitles them to attend classes up to a specified date. When I was at UT, players with exhausted eligibility were required to move out of Gibbs into a regular dorm. A friend of mine living on Morell 6 inherited Robert Pulliam as a roommate for 2 quarters while he was waiting to go to the Canadian Football League. My friend weigh about 130 lbs and Pulliam was about a 280 lbs DT. Definitely an odd couple.
Why was Crouch working out with team?

If UT wants, once a player has entered the transfer portal, they absolutely can choose to stop the players scholarship aid at the end of the term current to when the player entered the portal.

If that player wants to withdraw from the portal, the school can restore the scholarship aid if it wants to.

One a player enters the portal, UT has absolute control over what it chooses to do.
I might be wrong, but I think I heard the local sports radio guys say that there is a cutoff dates with regards to scholarships and the portal and that UT can’t cut off their scholarships this semester since they were already enrolled.

I don't care what Henry does now,he proved already he doesn't care about the UT program and his daddy wants him at Bammer.I hope he goes there and I don't think he is as good as what Bammer is used to having. He may end up sitting and it serves him right!
Honestly bro I kinda think Henry T wants to be here but his parents don’t. I have nothing to back that up. Just a gut feeling.

Reactions: OrangeShades
I won't pretend to know what happened behind the scenes with these guys, so I don't know whether to be on the "kick them out" side or the "bring them back" side. The coaches can figure that out.
But I equate this to taking a job with a company that you think is reputable, and you were promised that you'd be working for a manager (Kevin Sherrer) who you think can advance your career. Then before long you find out that upper management is crooked and you're reporting to a different guy who isn't teaching you anything. Upper management gets fired. Your direct manager is fired. You start to leave, but you're told you'll be reporting to a different manager who knows what he's doing (Kevin Steele) so you say you'll stay. Then that manager gets pushed aside and eventually fired. At that point I think I would be as frustrated as most of the posters on VN.

If there's an issue the university can withdraw their financial aid if they choose to but they don't have to. If they want them back, they can just wait it out.

I might be wrong, but I think I heard the local sports radio guys say that there is a cutoff dates with regards to scholarships and the portal and that UT can’t cut off their scholarships this semester since they were already enrolled.

Yes. The aid is required to continue until the end of the scholarship term based on when the player enters the portal. However, there is no requirement to allow the player access to the practice and weight facilities while in the portal.

Reactions: LWSVOL
For the players, their decision doesn’t exist in a vacuum, so it’s hard to know what’s going on. ‘They took money and are quitting on their team’ is just as likely as ‘Their families are pressuring them to go somewhere else, but their love for their teammates and UT has kept them from leaving.’ And of course there are multiple other factors involved impacting their decisions. Hard to really put ourselves in their shoes. Hopefully the players will come to a decision that helps them succeed. UT will be fine with whatever they decide.
They don’t want to be here because the cash flow dried up and their future eligibility is uncertain. It’s obvious.

VN Store

Back