Question about the 2019 DL

Need Solomon to get a waiver, and maybe another transfer from Mizzu. At this point, the DL is the glaring weakness going into the 2019 season. If you cant stop the run, or put pressure on the QB, you're toast.

Reactions: tbones0711
It is not very often that a DL contributes as a freshmen. I think we will have to rely on getting some consistent play from Gooden and Emerson. Mincy made a few plays and should improve. Work in the grad transfers and jucos and we will be ok this year. Maybe average or a little below. Address it next class and we will be great going forward with everyone else having another year to develop.

DL is very concerning, but hopefully the LBs can step up big. Our secondary should be pretty solid though.

It looks like our linebacker play will be outstanding, which is a hopeful look/wish...They have the size and speed to dominate...The DL will be fine because of the stellar linebacker unit attacking the offense....

That's my story and I'm sticking with it....Fingers crossed.

Need Solomon to get a waiver, and maybe another transfer from Mizzu. At this point, the DL is the glaring weakness going into the 2019 season. If you cant stop the run, or put pressure on the QB, you're toast.

Maybe it seems that way. But let's take a closer look

Gooden 6'3 310 SR
Williams 6"4 315 JR
Butler 6'4" 285 JR
Emerson 6'4 305 SO
Middleton 6'7 300 JR
Harris 6'3" 320 R-FR
Mincey 6'3 280 SO
Garland 6'3 275 R-FR
Simmoms 6'1 330 FR

Butler and Gooden have great experience.
Williams and Middleton bring size and more physical maturity. Emerson and Mincey played last year and they're not little guys.
Josh Harris and Emerson are said to both bench over 400.

Last year you had 4 SRs and they were operating in a brand new scheme.
Not to mention they were out there too much because the offense couldn't posses the ball well enough. So they wore down.

When our offense becomes more consistent, our defense will be able to be more effective.
We have enough bodies! They need time to develop some, but there is a good amount of size and ability there.

LB play will also improve. Our defense will have speed, stature and age next season.

Don't count the DL out....its not nearly bad as many think. But we NEED the offense to be on the field more

We need to move the ball more on offense. The defense stayed on the field to long in a number of games.

That's right. That alone would make the DLine look a lot better, if they can just be middle of the pack in the SEC.

This team had a lot of holes in the roster. CJP addressed as many as possible with this class. You can only fill so many weaknesses in any given class. DL was one he wasn't as successful as others. Solomon being able to play would be huge. He has added some good PWOs that could contribute down the road. I also believe that some of the "also rans" on the OL might be looking at a change to the other side of the ball. It will be interesting to see how this plays through the spring.

Usually works the other way. PF made it a point to load up on the DL and those that weren't athletic enough to play DL were moved to the OL where their nasty disposition served them well. Not saying they won't move someone from OL to DL, but if they do, it's out of an extreme emergency situation.

Speaking of nasty it's gonna take me awhile to get over this staff not making a run for Charles Moore who signed with Auburn. Cox flipping to Ole Miss may have caught this staff off-guard a bit. The transfer portal has over 15 DLinemen undecided. After Fields getting the waiver to play for Ohio St. I'll find it hard to accept that Solomon can't do the same.

This team had a lot of holes in the roster. CJP addressed as many as possible with this class. You can only fill so many weaknesses in any given class. DL was one he wasn't as successful as others. Solomon being able to play would be huge. He has added some good PWOs that could contribute down the road. I also believe that some of the "also rans" on the OL might be looking at a change to the other side of the ball. It will be interesting to see how this plays through the spring.

is Eric Crosby (6'1", 328lbs) still on the team?

Also dont forget that Emerson was a 5* before he broke his ankle. I expect him to be a big contributor this year.

VN Store

Back