Question about the 2019 DL

Has anyone heard Pruitt address the situation with the DL next year? Looks like we only signed 4 players (2 jucos), and the roster on the DL is so bare with all of the exits- https://utsports.com/roster.aspx?path=football
This team had a lot of holes in the roster. CJP addressed as many as possible with this class. You can only fill so many weaknesses in any given class. DL was one he wasn't as successful as others. Solomon being able to play would be huge. He has added some good PWOs that could contribute down the road. I also believe that some of the "also rans" on the OL might be looking at a change to the other side of the ball. It will be interesting to see how this plays through the spring.

I think he tried to address it with Solomon transfer from Michigan if that is successful he has filled one starting spot probably with a guy better than any of the guys that played last season. He also has the JUCO Savion Williams coming in have to see what he can do. Already on the roster Emerson was highly rated in last years class want know if he is ready until the season starts. Gooden at times was as excellent as any player we had playing there last season. I think this has to be the big four that he is depending on. We also know he likes Grad Transfers so if he doesn't think he has the right mix could make some moves there. I am sure he is aware of the situation at that position Solomon was the big get to fix it.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
It does look like if the "front 3" can break even, next season then the 4 linebackers where we now have so much potential, can do the damage

He clearly knows the roster far better than I do, and imagine he has a plan. Would be nice to have some local media actually ask him about it. On the OL we basically lost no one, and crushed it on this signing class. DB seems to have been addressed as well. Just seems from the outside looking in, it's a major hole?

Reactions: Neyland Law Vol
This team had a lot of holes in the roster. CJP addressed as many as possible with this class. You can only fill so many weaknesses in any given class. DL was one he wasn't as successful as others. Solomon being able to play would be huge. He has added some good PWOs that could contribute down the road. I also believe that some of the "also rans" on the OL might be looking at a change to the other side of the ball. It will be interesting to see how this plays through the spring.
History has shown that Dlinemen can become very good Olinemen; however, Olinemen seldom beome good Dlinemen. I think we have some young red-shirt Dlinemen who can become good players. A second year of S&C will help a lot.

We’ll be surprised in my opinion. A 3-4 can masker a mediocre D Line with good LB play. Just have to have a good anchor at the nose.
i don't know how much of a surprise we WILL be, but if we're really good on the DL, it would be a big surprise.

i think Gooden has a chance to be the anchor you're talking about. we need those 2nd year guys that are returning to really pick it up this season, and we'll need the Juco guys from this class to be part of the rotation right away.

numbers wise, we're fine on the DL. but aside from Gooden, there's basically zero production you can just "count on".

it's all potential.

LB, may actually be pretty darn good.........heck, our back 7 in all should be the strength of the defense.

We had a outstanding class this year other than the DL, we got to hit the DL like we did the OL in the 20 class if we do then we will be on our way to compete for the East and SEC in 21.

We had a outstanding class this year other than the DL, we got to hit the DL like we did the OL in the 20 class if we do then we will be on our way to compete for the East and SEC in 21.
i'm betting we hit the OL and DL hard in 20, and i think we'll wind up pretty happy w/what we wind up with.

Reactions: Ratvol
History has shown that Dlinemen can become very good Olinemen; however, Olinemen seldom beome good Dlinemen. I think we have some young red-shirt Dlinemen who can become good players. A second year of S&C will help a lot.
That is a very likely scenario. I agree that it is far less common for a lineman to move from offense to defense.

Does anybody know when the roster online gets updated with new players added and correct years, etc.. on the UT website?

I can say that the D-line is not the strength of the team, but even with what we had last year we made some stops given all of the time that they were on the field. If the offensive line pans out the production and points that will result may balance the weaker defensive front. Teams will run on us, but we have some help coming in from recruiting and from the S&C program coming along. Who knows what they look like after an off-season with CJP. They should have a better understanding of the schemes that CJP runs, and I imagine there will be more blitz packages in by then as well. I think that teams are made from the Jimmies and Joes more than X's and O's, but the pantry isn't completely bare and our team has some fight.

If all else fails, look at how well OU did with a JC defense. (Sarcasm)

Hoping Savion Williams is ready to compete day 1...that would definitely be a big bonus. Also need someone like Emerson, Butler or Mincy to carve out contributing roles...

Reactions: VOLinPD
Hopefully former 5* Aubrey Solomon will be granted a waiver and not have to sit out a year. Pruitt is still optimistic on that last I heard.

I'm anxious to see what JJ looks like during spring practice. He came in late and out of shape last year, and will be a redshirt freshman this year. I hope he gets himself together to become the player we thought we were getting when he signed. Getting the full potential out of JJ this year will help the d line by reducing some of their short comings.

VN Store

Back