Quarterbacks that we totally whiffed on?

I think the big ones this year are the ones that were in the transfer portal. Of course, no one really expected JG to crap the bed so bad this season so this is kind of a hindsight is 20/20 thing but you had Justin Fields, Jacob Eason, Joe Burrow, Kelly Bryant, Justin Hurts, Tate Martell, Hunter Johnson just to name a few. I really wish our coaching staff had recognized the need to have a good QB this year but apparently nobody practices better than JG so they went all in on him.

Hunter Johnson Northwestern via Clemson
I think the big ones this year are the ones that were in the transfer portal. Of course, no one really expected JG to crap the bed so bad this season so this is kind of a hindsight is 20/20 thing but you had Justin Fields, Jacob Eason, Joe Burrow, Kelly Bryant, Justin Hurts, Tate Martell, Hunter Johnson just to name a few. I really wish our coaching staff had recognized the need to have a good QB this year but apparently nobody practices better than JG so they went all in on him.
Tate Martell and Hunter Johnson are terrible.
Y'all want to bash JG but want these bums? LMAO

Hunter Johnson
48% 367 yards 4.1 ypa 1TD 4 ints 77.7 qB rating

Qb play could be much worse with one of these guys.

We weren't getting Hurts, Fields, or Eason.

Most of those we had no chance to land. Butch did have a really good shot of landing Lawrence who always wanted to play at Tennessee.

I agree with Trevor Lawrence and Martinez. Not sure we overlooked Fields, but I don't remember all the details of his recruitment. How about Penix who seems to be doing pretty well at Indiana University?
Penix Rising!

Attachments

• phoenix-chinese-takeaway.jpg
    phoenix-chinese-takeaway.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 1
Well given how things worked out glad these guys didn't destroy their careers by coming here. They would have been nothing at UT

Tate Martell and Hunter Johnson are terrible.
Y'all want to bash JG but want these bums? LMAO

Hunter Johnson
48% 367 yards 4.1 ypa 1TD 4 ints 77.7 qB rating

Qb play could be much worse with one of these guys.

We weren't getting Hurts, Fields, or Eason.
Well, if you take the UTC game out of the stats JG has thrown 4 TDS to 4 INTS with 611 yards... I would also say NW has played a tougher schedule

QBs that we "overlooked" is almost a meaningless list. Every school has a long list of great "overlooked" QBs.

Better list is QBs that we could've conceivably had but didn't get. That list includes:

Tajh Boyd
Trevor Lawrence
Adrian Martinez
Michael Penix

Martinez gets talked about a lot, but I think he was going to Nebraska regardless after Butch was fired and Frost was hired there. Penix now seems like a huge missed opportunity, however, as I believe the current staff wasn't very interested in him. He's doing very well at Indiana; particularly when you consider that he's not exactly playing for the most talented team. Penix would be a no-brainer as the starting QB here right now.

Though, there's also the "QBs that we should be glad de-committed" list. That list includes Hunter Johnson, who has been terrible (as k-town king already mentioned). Johnson fits into the "QBs that were inaccurate in high school, but college coaches think they can fix" category. And they rarely do. Inaccurate QBs tend to stay inaccurate QBs.

Reactions: NETNVOL81
Lawrence was told to look around not overlooked Just told we were not interested.
Lawrence showed great interest in us with ties and desire to play at Tennessee but BJ SENT HIM PACKING

Thats not true. We wanted Lawrence but Clemson out recruited us, its as simple as that. Our product on the field and BJ scared him off of coming here.

Well, if you take the UTC game out of the stats JG has thrown 4 TDS to 4 INTS with 611 yards... I would also say NW has played a tougher schedule
You can't take away games from the season stats. Lmao.

Hunter Johnson has been so bad that even in that hypothetical situation JG has still been much better.

The lengths some of you stretch to act like he is the worst D1 qB is sad.

VN Store

Back