Quarterback - JG

JG has led UT to some "firsts". First 8 loss season. First home loss to UK since 84. Worst ppg as a starter since at least 1980. Almost guaranteed to end up with the worst record of any UT full time starter since 1980.

It's all because his 'haters' don't believe in him.

I saw effort from 3 guys today. Trey Smith, Eric Gray, and HT. I honestly think that Pruitt’s decision to continue with JG is sucking the life out of this team. It’s not really JG’s fault. I think he doing his best but he’s just not an SEC level QB. The team appeared to play harder when Shrout entered the game. IMO, we’ve got to make a change at QB and stick with it or I think CJP is going to lose this team more than he already has.

I agree team is giving up on jg so to speak. There not playing near as hard I saw some of the lines facial expressions past 2 games and it was not good. Mike bobo offense is trucking ours right now

It appears we'll never know if one of the other quarterbacks is better. Even if Pruitt does play one of the others, he keeps them on such a short leash that they are playing with the sword of Damocles ever hanging over their heads. Guarantano can make muliple mistakes for years and still start. However, if one of the back-up quarterbacks happens to juggle a snap he gets the hook.
Hard to perform knowing you're getting yanked for mistakes that would be overlooked if your initials were JG instead of JT.

I have seen several threads wanting to fire Coach Pruitt, it was our "quarterback" JG that threw 2 interceptions and a fumble that gave Kentucky a 17 point lead. Pruitt changed to the next quarterback who promptly threw and interception. You do not win games with 4 turn overs. JG has not learned in 4 years "when" to throw the ball. The UT radio team constantly complained of him throwing late and into triple coverage. Thank goodness we at least got Bailey into the game...he is the future of the Vols. Have patience, Pruitt will get us competitive again. Butch Jones left him no players with linemen under 300 pounds and players with no speed. Let's give Pruitt our support, he will get us competitive again.
Not if his handling of the Qb issue is indicative of his decision making. We are going to lose recruits this year because of the last two games. Recruiting is the only way we can become competitive. One reason we have 4 and 5 star commitments this year is because they believe we are on the way up. Watch for UT commitments to reopen their recruitment this week.

Yeah JT threw a INT but you don't build confidence in your players when you pull them after just 1 mistake while letting the other guy continue to make them and not get pulled.
JT probably played tight knowing he would be done with one mistake and was never giving a chance to get lose.
He didn’t put JT in to give him a chance. He put JT in to allow JG to calm down. I think he planned to pull JT after that series unless they scored.

I'm sure he can grow and develop into the better player.

I'll just say this.....every pass he threw in this game (small sample size), he threw into coverage.

Tennessee has to find the formula they had before. Boring as hell, but effective.

Run the football, stay in manageable down and distance situations, throw safe dink and dunk passes, and take the occasional deep shot down the sideline.

You’re absolutely wrong. His first pass was where the DB had no chance and was perfectly thrown. The next was dropped by a RB who was wide open. The other two were corner throws in the endzone. One was too short and one was too long.

If I told you, then I would have to exterminate you. ;)

I played rugby with a member of her majesty's secret service for a couple of years. He returned to England in 2000. In October 2001 (about a month after 9/11), I ran into to him at a rugby tournament in South Carolina. I asked him, "What the h*ll are you doing back in the states?" He replied, "I could tell you, but then I would have to kill you.", and I am pretty sure he d*mn well meant it.

At this point, because it's year 3.....

it's time to stop blaming JG because the coach is putting him in the game. JG is giving it his best and that's all you can ask.

But, the coach(es) should have been able to develop him more or recruited over him by this time.

If they haven't, that's on them not JG.

JG doesn't put himself into the game.

My guess and it sucks.....Bailey isn't close to being ready and JG is better than the other 2. But, that's a pure guess.
That’s where I am. Plus CJP is still making first time head coach decisions.

@k-town_king and @PulaskiVolFan are noticeably absent from the boards, when they normally on here blaming everyone but the Qb for TNs poor play. Folks like the OLine, the RBs, the WRs, the cheerleaders, the ticket booth folks and that guy in the wheelchair who is always scalping tickets. They are all the reason for the awful QB play.

Reactions: DaUndergroundMan
Badly. He keeps believing that JG being "good" in practice will translate to gameday in spite of abundant proof to the contrary.

I understand where a coach/CJP would adhere to that.....he has even said that in his experience, those who practice well usually play well. Fine. But gameday counts too, demonstrated progress as well. We have 3 years worth of tape that shows you don't know who's gonna show up gameday. The decent game manager......or the dark side that is JG. You practice for gameday.....your play should reflect it. JG's does not.....lots of times he is your greatest threat......to his own team.

Last edited:
Reactions: sjt18
I have seen several threads wanting to fire Coach Pruitt, it was our "quarterback" JG that threw 2 interceptions and a fumble that gave Kentucky a 17 point lead. Pruitt changed to the next quarterback who promptly threw and interception. You do not win games with 4 turn overs. JG has not learned in 4 years "when" to throw the ball. The UT radio team constantly complained of him throwing late and into triple coverage. Thank goodness we at least got Bailey into the game...he is the future of the Vols. Have patience, Pruitt will get us competitive again. Butch Jones left him no players with linemen under 300 pounds and players with no speed. Let's give Pruitt our support, he will get us competitive again.
TL;DR

Offense = F
Defense = F
COACHING = FFFFFFFFFFFF

Well the guy that recruited JG ain't here anymore.......

Edit; never mind, I see what you said now. 🤪
Wonder how many coaches and people JG has gotten fired by being an awful football player while he continues to collect his free tuition

Agree with a lot of this. However, Pruitt’s ability to evaluate, recruit and develop SEC QBs has proven to be woeful. If Jarrett Guarantano is the best QB on your roster and gives your team the best chance to have success, you’ve done an incredibly poor job with the QB position. Somebody’s head should roll, whether it’s Weinke or Chaney, something’s gotta give. It’s coaching malpractice the way our QB position is being managed.

Remember, he lost his job and got it back.

What does that tell you?[/QUOTE

It tells me that Pruitt is overwhelmingly biased in Guarantano’s favor. His leash is a country mile long despite poor play after poor play. He can throw a pick 6 and continue to play and play and play. Any other QB on the roster can throw into coverage once and immediately get the hook. We know Guarantano ain’t the guy, can’t get it done, is just bad, so move on from him, even if the next guy(s) gives similar results early on. After 3-4 years of the worst QB in program history, I’m just done. Give me anybody else at this point not named Guarantano.

VN Store

Back