QB's ?? Go back and watch the Orange and White Game

I know it don't matter much, but if you go back and watch this game. HB and BM looked better then Hooker, I thought both of them did a great job of running the team on offense.
And then here's Milton starting the first game, ?????? , why would this guy get the nod and only been here a few weeks???????
Even now, Hooker looks better then Milton ( WHY ) Hooker is doing a great job at this point. BUT after BM transferred Milton and Hooker must be getting all of the first rep's at practice.
Does HB have any chance of getting an fair look at least, at any point this year. At least he has stayed and competed for a chance, does this count for anything ????? Milton even goes in after Hooker gets hurt and he's not at 100% ??????
I'm not bashing Hooker at all, I think he is doing a great job so far but the 1 and 2 QB's are not passing the ball very well and it is hurting our offense. " I'm NO COACH JUST A FAN "
and I'm just asking if anyone else see's what I see, and we might not matter much on opinions but I care about my team as a fan.
So that brings me to wonder ( what does this coaching staff know ) ????? We will see what they know by the end of this year or we will be wondering what if AGAIN.
There's always next year.

P.S This is why people are wanting to see HB get his SHOT at QB. If you see anything different, please fill free to let me have it !!!!!!!!
He got a shot against Tennessee Tech and looked slow as molasses against an inferior opponent. There’s a reason the other 2 QB’s are ahead of him in the hierarchy.

Reactions: onecrazytj
Ok , thanks for all the answer's, now, while we are on the subject, Hooker is the best one right now, I agree " WHY " is Milton still # 1 , last Q

Is he? There was an injury but he has not started a game since. Still injured or moved to #2? Everything is speculation on our part and only the staff knows the real answer. As for the depth chart, it has proven to be utterly useless. Heupel has made it very obvious repeatedly that he has no desire to give too much info on injuries or to change that chart.

Reactions: GordonC
Bray was like 3 for 20 something in a Spring game. Did that relegate him to the bench? Bray is and was much better than Bailey. Plus, Bailey was throwing to Jancek. Remember that 173 yes? But, why isn't anyone clamoring for Jancek's playing time?

Reactions: sjt18
Per Austin Price at Volquest, "Harrison Bailey has been too inconsistent in practices for both the last staff and this new staff." Worst thing that happened to him was getting his 5th star.

Reactions: sjt18 and RhodesVol
Isn't it interesting seeing all the comments from the "experts" telling us HB is not a good QB. Many, if not most, were the same ones telling us Milton would be the greatest QB our Vols had seen, and that his cannon of an arm was unbelievable.

They consistently told those of us who wanted to see HB be given a chance, were dumb as rocks, and we had no idea what we were talking about. When we pointed out we did not need someone who could throw hard enough to knock down walls; we only needed someone who could think, and who could actually complete passes to our receivers, we were put down.

And, now, here we are. Those people have abandoned Milton, and are on the bandwagon for Hooker.

I love my Vols, and I want us to win, but after around 70 years of living and dying as a Vol fan, I think I have a valid opinion about who can play and who cannot.

My latest proof to offer: Pruitt continued to play JG as he continued to lose games for us. Most of those same people who blast us today about Milton, were in JG's corner. This should cause anyone to think twice about giving credence to those people. They simply do not know as much as they would have us believe.

Isn't it interesting seeing all the comments from the "experts" telling us HB is not a good QB. Many, if not most, were the same ones telling us Milton would be the greatest QB our Vols had seen, and that his cannon of an arm was unbelievable.

They consistently told those of us who wanted to see HB be given a chance, were dumb as rocks, and we had no idea what we were talking about. When we pointed out we did not need someone who could throw hard enough to knock down walls; we only needed someone who could think, and who could actually complete passes to our receivers, we were put down.

And, now, here we are. Those people have abandoned Milton, and are on the bandwagon for Hooker.

I love my Vols, and I want us to win, but after around 70 years of living and dying as a Vol fan, I think I have a valid opinion about who can play and who cannot.

My latest proof to offer: Pruitt continued to play JG as he continued to lose games for us. Most of those same people who blast us today about Milton, were in JG's corner. This should cause anyone to think twice about giving credence to those people. They simply do not know as much as they would have us believe.
Lot’s of generalizations there JimJimmyJim. I have watched airplanes fly for decades but am in no way capable of making a decision about one of them. Relax and yell at the clouds and don’t forget….all that hype.

Lot’s of generalizations there JimJimmyJim. I have watched airplanes fly for decades but am in no way capable of making a decision about one of them. Relax and yell at the clouds and don’t forget….all that hype.

Generalizations? Ha! Your example is not a generalization, but an off the chart ridiculous thought. There is no comparison with flying a plane and watching football players for many, many years, running around on the field.

You can chase your rainbows, and I will watch our Vols, and hope we get it right.

I mean, I get what you’re saying, but that was weird.
But I still laughed. 😂

I freely admit I'm weird. I suspect I dropped my head when I was a baby. Then didn't screw it back on properly.
Plus I is uh fan uf dis guy.
SnuffySmith01.gif

Reactions: supersmo18
I know it don't matter much, but if you go back and watch this game. HB and BM looked better then Hooker, I thought both of them did a great job of running the team on offense.
And then here's Milton starting the first game, ?????? , why would this guy get the nod and only been here a few weeks???????
Even now, Hooker looks better then Milton ( WHY ) Hooker is doing a great job at this point. BUT after BM transferred Milton and Hooker must be getting all of the first rep's at practice.
Does HB have any chance of getting an fair look at least, at any point this year. At least he has stayed and competed for a chance, does this count for anything ????? Milton even goes in after Hooker gets hurt and he's not at 100% ??????
I'm not bashing Hooker at all, I think he is doing a great job so far but the 1 and 2 QB's are not passing the ball very well and it is hurting our offense. " I'm NO COACH JUST A FAN "
and I'm just asking if anyone else see's what I see, and we might not matter much on opinions but I care about my team as a fan.
So that brings me to wonder ( what does this coaching staff know ) ????? We will see what they know by the end of this year or we will be wondering what if AGAIN.

P.S This is why people are wanting to see HB get his SHOT at QB. If you see anything different, please fill free to let me have it !!!!!!!!
Spring games (intrasquad scrimmages) mean absolutely nothing. They are fan fodder. That is part of the problem though. Most fans don't realize this. Do you think Jack Jancek is our best WR? The biggest difference is that Bailey had the star ratings and hoopla coming out of high school. I don't think Bailey is a bust, but he needs more development and a better OL in front of him. Think of HB more as a Mac Jones type player. I could see him as the full time starter in '23 and '24 if he stays. I could also see him put up record breaking stats, but he's far from ready right now. Particularly with the OL woes.

Generalizations? Ha! Your example is not a generalization, but an off the chart ridiculous thought. There is no comparison with flying a plane and watching football players for many, many years, running around on the field.

You can chase your rainbows, and I will watch our Vols, and hope we get it right.
Rainbows are frightening, same with clowns.

You could have ended the post at “,but”. You’ve had enough people tell you that HB isn’t the answer with more recent examples. No need for me to pile on.

Honestly, Maurer screwed himself by going to the portal.

With the way Milton has played, he had a prime opportunity to compete for the #1 spot after Pitt and most likely would have still made QB2 even if Hooker still beat him out.

Job protection??? Unless this turns into a compete disaster, then Heupel is safe through the 2025 season.
Hoops and Garner are safe, although Garner may get better dealed to go back to the Barn now that they have an opening. Rest of the staff could become sacrificial lambs if we don’t win and they don’t ‘cruit better.

Hoops and Garner are safe, although Garner may get better dealed to go back to the Barn now that they have an opening. Rest of the staff could become sacrificial lambs if we don’t win and they don’t ‘cruit better.

You think Garner would go back down there to coach WR's? I guess it's possible, but I bet they pay him whatever he wants if he's able to pull some of the recruits he's in on. Add to that the fat that our DL has outplayed just about everyone's expectations. Losing him would be rooough.

Honestly, Maurer screwed himself by going to the portal.

With the way Milton has played, he had a prime opportunity to compete for the #1 spot after Pitt and most likely would have still made QB2 even if Hooker still beat him out.

Don't know why he left and what he was thinking but yeah he definitely should've stuck around unless he had other schools whispering in his ear that if he hit the portal they would have a spot for him. That doesn't seem to be the case but yeah two running QB's, our OL and COVID. There was a good chance for him to see the field. Also do we know if he actually fell to 4thQB or did we assume that and that's why he left? I'm leaning toward frustration not being QB1/2 and immaturity caused him to stop giving his all and that's what pushed him down into the 4th spot

Straw man... constructed.

I'll just say this... IMHO very few people here were rooting for Milton. Maybe none. Personally I didn't find him all that "likeable"... and most didn't like his comment about playing well vs BGSU and the false pride it took to say it. I actually like Hooker personally but I never saw an "Hooker or bust" people when the competition was going on.

Before this was decided there were two basic groups. One was those who were ready to pull for whoever won the job. The other was those for whatever reason vested in Bailey to the point that any other decision was unacceptable to them. There might have been a few "I prefer Bailey but will support anyone" folks... but not that many and especially after Bailey didn't win out.

And btw... it is interesting seeing you "experts" that are sure HB deserves to play with the first team in spite of practices observers saying he's third... and coaches confirming it.

They consistently told those of us who wanted to see HB be given a chance, were dumb as rocks, and we had no idea what we were talking about.
Well, no. Most of us just pointed out that he HAD been given a chance and was beaten out. He's had close to 100 practices with this staff to prove he deserves to be #1 or #2. At no point since January has he been higher than #3 on the depth chart.

When we pointed out we did not need someone who could throw hard enough to knock down walls; we only needed someone who could think, and who could actually complete passes to our receivers, we were put down.
Really? By who? If he could control it Milton's arm would be an incredible weapon. He can throw it with more power flatfooted than Hooker or Bailey can stepping in. He's physically freakish. Apparently according to both the coaches and observers he won the pre-season competition going away.

Have you heard anyone who was supportive of the choice arguing that he should keep playing now that he's been failing on game day? Why? Because unlike folks like you... we aren't vested in Milton. I'm fine with Hooker or Bailey. I just want to see good QB play. You assume that others must be as loyal to one of the others as you are Bailey. We aren't. Our loyalty is with whoever gives UT the best chance to win.

Well, yeah. He's now the starter. We are rooting for him to be successful... and taking some pleasure in the fact that he's played pretty well. Not perfect... but very good.

So your years as a fan makes you clairvoyant? You know things about practice that you have not seen and have not been reported to you by a reliable source?

If Bailey were ahead of either of the others throwing the ball right now... he would be no worse than #2 on the depth chart. He apparently isn't. Milton was #2 last week with a gimpy leg.

Another strawman built on completely false premises. Few people were as consistently critical of JG and the TWO coaches who continued to play him than I was. Milton started two games and did not play well. Hooker has now started two games and has played pretty good. It does not look like Heupel is repeating the same mistake at all. He also hasn't promoted Bailey just because he's there. Bailey has to earn it... and as of last week Milton with a bad leg was a better choice than Bailey. Think about that for a while.

None of these 3 QBs are world beaters. Take a look at the SEC and it’s possible one of them starts for Vandy and South Carolina. But no one else.

This is not a good roster. I’ve said there was a 90% chance we win between 5 to 7 games. That’s still where we are.
If UT does not beat UK and MU then it will NOT be because of the talent on the roster.

I knew MU had talent holes. I did not know that they have 9 4* players total on their roster vs around 31 4/5* players for UT. If UT plays clean then they should beat MU... they should control the game from start to finish.

We will know more about UK after this weekend but that is a very winnable game for UT. UT has to play clean and cut down on mistakes. The mistakes we've seen are correctable inside of a season.

there are things called practice, film study, classroom work and scrimmages. Coaches take all this into account along with games (O&W way below actual games) in determining who is the best QB to execute their offensive system. They see things on a daily basis that fans only get a glimpse of in a game. A QB can easily put himself way behind other QBs by answering 7 out of 10 questions wrong in a classroom setting. And normally, if missing in the classroom he also misses a lot on the practice. field.

Fans only can make decisions on a QB based on what they see in a game. Nothing wrong with fans wanting to see a particular QB in games based on their limited exposure to QBs. Coaches just know so much more about what a QB can do or how he thinks. On HB, keep in mind 2 staffs have placed him at the bottom of the ladder with completely different QB rosters.

I'm not promoting any one of the QBs over others. Frankly, I don't believe any are SEC level QBs.

And Milton doesn't need to develop???

yes, but he isn’t the starter unless Hooker can’t go. It’s pretty apparent that Milton runs the offense faster than any of the others but Hooker gives team best chance to win. Bailey does none of the above

VN Store

Back