QB Jamie Newman Transfers to Georgia

I'm not that concerned..he struggled against good teams...less than 50% completion in losses View attachment 253545

I’m not concerned either. He’s better than Fromm? I doubt it.

Frankly, I’d never heard of the guy, but then again I don’t pay much attention to Wake Forest football unless I’m rooting for them to beat FSU.

This guy steps into a new system, and an unsuccessful system, with at least 8 other guys who will be in the same boat. A really pissed off Bama team is going to wreck them in Tuscaloosa in week three.

Newman had 1 good game against a decent team......and that was NC State, but, will have better weapons at UGA.

Reactions: LittleVol
I guess I assumed Georgia recruited better. I also did not know that Mathis wasn't cleared. I think Beck can start from day one. If I'm Georgia, I throw him into the fire and will take my lumps for a year to give him the experience.
That would make sense if the staff was all on in on him. Give him a year to gel with the new OL and new WR’s. I honestly don’t think he’s ready. He had a disappointing senior season. It could be from losing talent like Fromm, but it’s still concerning. As for Mathis, there’s a chance he never gets cleared. Pulling for the kid since i hate to see anyone have to end their career due to medical reasons.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I'm interested to see what Newman does coming from the Clawfense over to Coley. Which I am not impressed with him. Even when he was at Miami, I didn't think his play calling was great. The OC at Georgia might be the weakest link of their offense next season. Just my opinion.

I’m not concerned either. He’s better than Fromm? I doubt it.

Frankly, I’d never heard of the guy, but then again I don’t pay much attention to Wake Forest football unless I’m rooting for them to beat FSU.

This guy steps into a new system, and an unsuccessful system, with at least 8 other guys who will be in the same boat. A really pissed off Bama team is going to wreck them in Tuscaloosa in week three.
I think the more valid question is if he’s better than the other options UGA currently has. UGA was lookin at going with beck or Stetson Bennett and I’d say Newman is a better option than both.

That would make sense if the staff was all on in on him. Give him a year to gel with the new OL and new WR’s. I honestly don’t think he’s ready. He had a disappointing senior season. It could be from losing talent like Fromm, but it’s still concerning. As for Mathis, there’s a chance he never gets cleared. Pulling for the kid since i hate to see anyone have to end their career due to medical reasons.

I think Beck lost everything. I listen to Sports talk in the North Florida area and his QB coach has a show on in Jacksonville. He was absolutely gushing over Beck. To be fair, he absolutely gushes over all his QBs (Like Joey Gatewood), but he was pretty particular with Beck. Beck won a State championship at a school that is not usually in the running for State championships. I think his senior year he lost the OL and WRs (so actually pretty similar to what Fromm would have faced this year).

As a side, I had some business with a Georgia fan last Monday and Tuesday. We talked about Tennessee and Georgia. My opinion is that Fromm should have absolutely declared. He's going to rank better in this draft than next year's assuming Fields and Lawrence come out. Heck, the Florida QB may even move the needle for some NFL teams.

I'm not that concerned..he struggled against good teams...less than 50% completion in losses View attachment 253545

To be fair - and to better/accurately/properly portray the statistical data presented here - his numbers in the Syracuse loss only reflect about a quarter played: he left with an injury 5 minutes into the 2nd quarter and didn’t return for the rest of the game.

(Fun fact: He also missed Wake Forest’s last 3 TD drives in the Louisville game...which bizarrely/surprisingly all went for TDs and all happened within the last 6 minutes of the game...along with a Louisville FG and TD during that period.)

Reactions: VolnJC
Out of all the top QBs in the transfer portal, this guy seems inferior. He will be okay. I just didn’t want UGA to get that transfer from Houston, so I’m fine with this.

You could argue that its the system because Newman's backup Hartman had similar or even better stats in the games he played while Newman was hurt
20200111_082607.jpg20200111_082531.jpg

Reactions: 9876543vol
Fields leaving and the struggles they have had this year are the reason why. He said that's why Fromm left despite a poor draft grade.They told him that they were making the change.
But they chose Fromm over Fields. They could have done that when they had potentially a top 3 qb. I'm questioning their decision making. Regardless, newmann is not fields. They could have had Fields doing this 2 years ago.

But they chose Fromm over Fields. They could have done that when they had potentially a top 3 qb. I'm questioning their decision making. Regardless, newmann is not fields. They could have had Fields doing this 2 years ago.
My friend says that they know that was a mistake choosing Fromm over fields and thus the change in offensive philosophy. He is fairly well connected but who knows.Just look at the dt qbs they have missed on. Cam,Watson,Lawrence,Dobbs.ect.I think that they are realizing the game is changing and that some of the best QBs in state are leaving and becoming very successful at other schools that have tailored their offense to fit the players.

My friend says that they know that was a mistake choosing Fromm over fields and thus the change in offensive philosophy. He is fairly well connected but who knows.

Well, those are the mistakes I don't see great programs make. I love they are going to a brand new system with a guy that did well versus below average talent versus them. GA has a tough schedule next year and transitioning to a new system makes my loins quiver with excitement. Plus we get them at the end of the year so they cant surprise us with anything and if he gets hurt they have no backup to run their new system. You need several qbs to make this work.

Last edited:
Reactions: tn4elvis
Petersen just retired from Washington. That alone makes me believe they should call themselves Washington Light. next year. Just as Oregon has not been as dominate without Chip Kelly. Every year when the selection committee named the top 4, Pac12 Strength of Schedule and OOC choices seems to continue to make getting in tougher. I get your thinking, DG, but despite what is happening at UGA right now, that perception of the Pac12 is going to make even that cesspool more attractive than the Ducks or the Huskies.

Funny you mentioned Petersen, rumor is he sits out a year and then becomes SC, the real SC, HC the following year. That's the buzz from SC pals of mine on the left coast. Apparently he had issues with jumping this season hence Helton back which surprised everybody, including Helton.

Well, those are the mistakes I don't see great programs make. I love they are going to a brand new system with a guy that did well versus below average talent versus them. GA has a tough schedule next year and transitioning to a new system makes my lions quiver with excitement. Plus we get them at the end of the year so they cant surprise us with anything and if he gets hurt they have no backup to run their new system. You need several qbs to make this work.
I agree.

He throws deep off play action. His highlights are him throwing deep. He played acc which is pathetic football so hard to get a real idea other than he's fast but not Lamar Jackson speed. His arm is good but no reads in their system, just play action and launch to the wr already in view. Either ga will have to replicate wf offense or they will have to hope he can read defenses. Against similar talent in Acc he struggled. Tighter windows in the Sec. He has to play us, Florida, at Bama, Auburn.
He struggled against teams with good defenses and was not impressive when I saw him against VT.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Out of all the top QBs in the transfer portal, this guy seems inferior. He will be okay. I just didn’t want UGA to get that transfer from Houston, so I’m fine with this.
King still isn’t in the portal. LSU’s offense is probably more appealing to king than UGA’s if he does decide to go that route.

We actually don’t know how this will turn out, but he is an experienced QB that can run the ball and they didn’t have that on their roster. All of our rivals will be breaking in new QBs this year. That alone gives us a shot. We could finish number 3 in the East again or the Georgia game could be for the East. If we get good solid QB play we should be competing for the East this year. Everything else is in place

His passing stats were comparable to Fromm's with a much weaker supporting cast; and what makes him scary is more his ability to improvise and pick up yards running. He's not quite Josh Dobbs good as a runner, but he may be a better passer than Dobbs.

I don't think there's any question that he's a very good QB. Only question is how will he look in Georgia's more pro-style offense rather than Clawson's RPO offense that was likely built around him.

And he will have a rebuilt offensive line at UGA....so he better be able to run.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
I think the more valid question is if he’s better than the other options UGA currently has. UGA was lookin at going with beck or Stetson Bennett and I’d say Newman is a better option than both.

Good point. But you know where I’m coming from on Fromm. He was Drew Brees v Florida the last two years.

saw them play a few times...he's a descent QB, but Newman is just like any other QB...put our pressure on him and he'll fold like a cheap suit...:D

GO BIG ORANGE...WIN THE OFF SEASON!

VN Store

Back