QB Club Today

Vol-Star

Jerry Punch had a few interesting things to say today....

...stating that Spurrier will be out of the NFL next year - or at least that is what they are hearing. Apparently, Daniel Snyder barged in a coaches meeting last week and told them that they WILL run the ball. Saying it rather emphatically, he turned around, shut the door, and left the room. Spurrier's response? "OK, we're going to throw it every down guys."

Now, he didn't say that was THE reason for Spurrier leaving, but that the situation had soured to the point where Spurrier and Snyder just weren't getting along. Word has it that several schools are hot after Supperior, UNC being the hottest.

Here is an interesting tidbit. The largest Texas boosters were planning on firing Mack Brown after the year until he beat OK St and K St. Their plan? Offer Spurrier a couple of million. Apparently they are not the only program to poo-poo a good winning percentage.:)

He also mentioned Chavis as a possible candidate for the Miss St job opening. He wasn't for sure whether Chavis would even entertain the offer, but that there was a high likelihood of him being a candidate. Additionally, he mentioned that Chavis is one of the 4 or 5 most respected defensive coordinators in the country.

Now, I will return to my "crow" dinner after predicting a Tennessee meltdown in Coral Gables. Ah, but first, a few thoughts.

If Fulmer would consistently instill that type of attitude in our team, we could be dangerous when we reload our talent pool. His body language, comments, and preparation are SO MUCH BETTER - and, simplisticly speaking, POSITIVE - when we have a "can't lose" situation. It isn't always the scheme, but the mindset of the team. I stand by my earlier prediction, in so far as WHY we often play poorly in these types of games. It was certainly refreshing to play well (even though the offense missed the plane ride down) on a national stage. Maybe that will give our boys a confidence boost, which they sorely needed.

Congrats Vols! Keep it up and let's see what happens.

-Vol-Star

P.S. If USC loses to Arizona, Oregon St, or UCLA; and if Purdue beats Ohio St; and if Tennessee wins out, makes it to the SEC game and wins; guess what? WE get a chance to play Oklahoma for the National Championship!

P.P.S. Do we really want to play Oklahoma? I would prefer garnering an at-large BCS bid and playing someone like FSU or VA Tech. The spector of an Oklahoma thrashing is not my idea of spending New Years.

P.P.P.S. Frankly, I would settle for winning our regular season games and taking our chances from there. Ten wins would be a very good year with this team and this schedule.

I sure would hate to see Chavis go, but you have to think it's only a matter of time.

As for winning out: If you asked anyone at the beginning of the year, I'll bet most would've been happy with 2 losses considering our schedule.

Thanks for the update Vol-Star.

Freak-nasty:

I concur. A two-loss season would be a very good accomplishment. This team has certainly lived on the edge (and I think they will continue to), but there are no spaces for explanations beside the final tally - good or bad.

Kentucky still scares the living daylights out of me. If we got there, LSU/Ole Miss scare the living daylights out of me. If go to a BCS bowl, whoever we play scares the living daylights out of me.

Having said that, our defense is getting better and better by the game, Georgia notwithstanding. Good defense and a solid punting game will keep us in most any game we play.

Vol-star

Vol-Star, I love it when you are positive. It gets me fired up. I can almost imagine the grin on your face this week. Why hide it? You love Tennessee. You are happy with this program. Now say it with me. It will take some time, but you can do it.

:welcome: You have now entered sheepville. It's a great place to be. A little crowded this week, but great.

Originally posted by Vol-Star@Nov 11 2003, 12:48 AM

He also mentioned Chavis as a possible candidate for the Miss St job opening. He wasn't for sure whether Chavis would even entertain the offer, but that there was a high likelihood of him being a candidate. Additionally, he mentioned that Chavis is one of the 4 or 5 most respected defensive coordinators in the country.

UT must do WHATEVER it takes to keep this man!! If CJC leaves, we will be hard pressed to find equal or better. Unless he takes Randy Sanders with him if he leaves.

You are right LIO, Chavis is not replaceable. You gotta think they he would like a shot at a head coaching job somewhere though.

I wish Coach Chavis all the best IF he does leave. I felt the same way when Cut left and CJC filled in just fine. But WHO would ever replace him???

I can't even come up with a single name. :(

Woody Widenhofer...and he has said before that he would jump at the chance to come to UT.

Originally posted by KnoxKDX@Nov 12 2003, 11:21 AM
Woody Widenhofer...and he has said before that he would jump at the chance to come to UT.

:yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

Where is he NOW?? I remember he couldn't do much for Vandy. I believe "I" could make a difference at Vandy!!!

If we can't keep Chavis, we need someone who has a winning record or two under his belt!

Just MHO!! B)

WHAT!!!??? I thought we were talking about a DC not a Head Coach. Do you remember all the fits Vandy's D caused everyone...they don't get much better than Woody on defense.

I think Woody would be a good choice. Does anyone know if he is coaching now? If so, where? :question:

Great job KnoxKDX. Wow, Hal Mumme and Woody coaching on the same team. That's a pretty good staff for a team like Southeastern Louisiana. Hard to believe they are 4-7.

Well you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Sounds like we need to plant a seed and hopefully it will grow... We'd be in VERY good shape IF the Chief left and we managed to land Woody. Who really knows what Chavis will do though?

I am suprised that Woody didn't get a better offer than that. What's the deal? If he is as good as we think he is, he should have gotten a better job. Maybe he just wanted to coach with Mumme. :D

4 losses in a row playing teams like Lambuth? (I KNOW...they beat Lambuth -woo, freakin' hoo) I'm not the least bit impressed. I think UT deserves better than Vandy's castoffs. PLEASE Coach Chavis - DON'T LEAVE US!!!

The Widenhofer File
Born: January 20, 1943 in Butler, Pa.
High School: Riverview HS in Riverview, Mich.
Degrees: University of Missouri, Bachelor’s in 1965; Michigan State, Master’s, 1970
College Football Playing Experience: Linebacker, Missouri, 1961-64
Record at Vanderbilt: 15-40-0, 4-36 in the SEC (five years)
Record at Missouri: 12-31-1 (four years)
Overall Record: 27-71-1 (nine years)
Record as college assistant: 23-38-2 (six years)

Record as NFL assistant: 173-103 (17 years)

No thank you, very much.

His record as a head coach is obviously not very impressive. In fact, it's down right bad. He is obvisously not head coach material. It doesn't seem like you hear much about any great defensive coaches anymore. At least not as much as you used to. Not only is Chavis a great coach, but he played at Tennessee. What more could you want. Maybe he will stay for a while longer.

Originally posted by LadyinOrange@Nov 12 2003, 05:56 PM
The Widenhofer File
Born: January 20, 1943 in Butler, Pa.
High School: Riverview HS in Riverview, Mich.
Degrees: University of Missouri, Bachelor’s in 1965; Michigan State, Master’s, 1970
College Football Playing Experience: Linebacker, Missouri, 1961-64
Record at Vanderbilt: 15-40-0, 4-36 in the SEC (five years)
Record at Missouri: 12-31-1 (four years)
Overall Record: 27-71-1 (nine years)
Record as college assistant: 23-38-2 (six years)

Record as NFL assistant: 173-103 (17 years)

No thank you, very much.

I don't understand your arguement LIO...so what??? He sucks as a head coach...big deal, we wouldn't hire him for that. That's like saying I wouldn't want a trained and experienced weapons officer on my submarine to be in charge of tactical and nuclear attack scenarios b/c he wouldn't make a good captain... Widenhofer is a very respected and awesome defense-minded coach. Don't wanna believe??? Read this excerpt from a story I found in like 10 seconds in a Google search:

"Our defense audibled 55 times in that game (Vanderbilt vs UT in '96)," Widenhofer said. "You've got to be intelligent to deal with that. The complex system that we put in when I got here two years ago takes a really quick, intelligent guy to have success with because there's a lot of audibling involved. You've got to be quick, you've got to be able to retain things and you've got to be able to put them into play almost instantly."

"To me, winning is an attitude, a mindset and a habit," said Widenhofer, who owns four Super Bowl rings from his days as defensive coordinator for the Pittsburgh Steelers. "It doesn't start when you walk out in the arena. It starts with taking care of your responsibilities and being held accountable for your responsibilities. When you're able to handle all of that, then you might have a chance to make the winning play to beat Alabama. But if you can't get out of bed in the morning and go to class, there's no way you can make that play."

If that's not enough, research the Steelers' infamous Iron Curtain Defense...guess who the coordinator was? Obviously, I have more respect for this guy than you do, so we'll have to agree to disagree on this one...in a BIG way.

I agree KnoxKDX that Woody is probably a pretty good defensive coordinator. I also agree that you really can't tell much from his head coaching records. Obviously he does not have any kind of offensive ability. However, I do not think he has proven himself beyond a shadow of a doubt. I think we remember Vandy always playing good D against us but I don't think they played quite that good all year. We got their best game. If everyone thinks so highly of Woody, which I assume many do, why in the world did someone not pick him up? On another note, I think the "Steel Curtain" defense was pretty much in place when Woody took over as D-Coordinator. While he had some role in that, I don't know that I would give him full credit. But then again, I could be wrong.

Regardless, I think we all hope Chavis stays!

:twocents:

Wow, I just found out after doing a little Vandy research that Bill Parcells was defensive coordinator at Vandy from 73-74. I never knew that. :yikes:

by the way KnoxKDX, what is KDX? Just curious. B)

While I love football, I also do a little dirtbiking on my Kawasaki KDX (see me in my avatar) and that's my name at the KDX forum. So rather than change the name, I just went with it.... BTW...you're right about the "steel curtain"...dammit, that's what happens when you're in a hurry and things start flying outta your butt. If anyone in here wants to hook up and go riding some time let me know--I promise I won't talk about Woody :blink:

Originally posted by KnoxKDX@Nov 12 2003, 09:10 PM
While I love football, I also do a little dirtbiking on my Kawasaki KDX (see me in my avatar) and that's my name at the KDX forum. So rather than change the name, I just went with it.... BTW...you're right about the "steel curtain"...dammit, that's what happens when you're in a hurry and things start flying outta your butt. If anyone in here wants to hook up and go riding some time let me know--I promise I won't talk about Woody :blink:

I figured that's what it was, but I had to be sure.

BTW, you can talk about Woody all you want to. ;)
It is strange though that this has been the most active topic today. :dunno:

Phil Fulmer started out as an offensive coordinator and ended up at head coach. We got lucky on him. UT's practice is usually to look within the program if a coach happens to leave. If Widenhoffer gets his foot in the door as DC, he might very well end up as HC and that we do not need. I apologize if my remarks came across as inflammatory, KnoxKDX, I really didn't mean for them to. I tend to state my opinions a little too emphatically, I guess. I will tone it down in the future.

VN Store

Back