Q&A with HC Heupel

You know, I wasn't crazy about this hire at first..I was thinking it was just another hurry up and hire somebody kind of hire but the more I hear him talk I am getting a feeling we might've gotten the right guy...I haven't felt that way about a coach in years but there is just a feeling he is going to do great things here....I'm not expecting the world right away but I think he'll get things going faster than we think..At least lets hope so....Now the scary part is if he does have success here Oklahoma is bound to come calling at some point....So there is that..Be nice to have a winner again.

You know, I wasn't crazy about this hire at first..I was thinking it was just another hurry up and hire somebody kind of hire but the more I hear him talk I am getting a feeling we might've gotten the right guy...I haven't felt that way about a coach in years but there is just a feeling he is going to do great things here....I'm not expecting the world right away but I think he'll get things going faster than we think..At least lets hope so....Now the scary part is if he does have success here Oklahoma is bound to come calling at some point....So there is that..Be nice to have a winner again.

With our luck you don’t have to worry about Oklahoma. Remember Butch and Michigan 🤣

Reactions: VolMarine1371
Oklahoma has their guy. I can't help but laugh cause the same was said about every previous coach. Dooley to Ga, Butch to Michigan, Pruitt to Bama lol. Successful coaches at big time programs stay put for the most part

Oklahoma has their guy. I can't help but laugh cause the same was said about every previous coach. Dooley to Ga, Butch to Michigan, Pruitt to Bama lol. Successful coaches at big time programs stay put for the most part
Your so right... Just remember If you build it they will come...

OU fired him.

Hopefully he's wise enough to stick in a place if he has success.

And Georgia was coming for Dooley and Michigan for Butch, and bama for Pruitt....

With our luck you don’t have to worry about Oklahoma. Remember Butch and Michigan 🤣
Ok but lets not pretend it hasn't happened at Tennessee in the last 15 years. There was indeed chatter about USC eventually luring Kiffin away in 2009 and that is exactly what happened.

With that said, Lincoln Riley is younger that Heupel and is going to be at Oklahoma for a long time.

Reactions: OrangeSailor98
Oklahoma is not Josh's dream job. I personally don't think it's even close to that. His memories of OK may be, on net, more negative than positive.

He only played one year there (after two years at Weber State and one at Snow College, both in Utah). He's from South Dakota. His heart is more in Utah than Oklahoma. Plus, as 83 pointed out, Oklahoma fired him. The coach he loved and played for and had huge success with, fired his ass. Those kinds of shocks usually lead to pretty big attitude adjustments. No, I don't see Josh Heupel as drawn to Oklahoma.

I guess if a player is in the Transfer Portal today, they were never a Vol yesterday.

Damn, Josh. That's a lot of guys to shun.
stfu cat fan. semper gumby.

I guess if a player is in the Transfer Portal today, they were never a Vol yesterday.

Damn, Josh. That's a lot of guys to shun.
Football isn't like the Marines..its more like the Airforce reserves, or civil air patrol..

Reactions: volfan8
Oklahoma is not Josh's dream job. I personally don't think it's even close to that. His memories of OK may be, on net, more negative than positive.

He only played one year there (after two years at Weber State and one at Snow College, both in Utah). He's from South Dakota. His heart is more in Utah than Oklahoma. Plus, as 83 pointed out, Oklahoma fired him. The coach he loved and played for and had huge success with, fired his ass. Those kinds of shocks usually lead to pretty big attitude adjustments. No, I don't see Josh Heupel as drawn to Oklahoma.

why was he fired exactly?

I went to school with CJH. I can promise you anywhere with Trees > any of the places you mentioned.

why was he fired exactly?
According to some, for not being related to Bob Stoops.

The theory goes like this: 2014 Sooners. End up 8-5, after starting the season #4 in the nation. Fans and boosters are demanding a blood sacrifice. It was the defense letting the team down...but the defense is led by Bob Stoops' brother, Mike. Can't fire your brother. So fire the guy leading the offense instead.

I don't know if that's accurate. I mean, we'll never hear Bob Stoops telling us his thought processes at the end of that season. He's not talking. So have to go on the available evidence. But it's mixed. Yes, the team scored more than 30 points in 11 of the 13 games that year, more than 40 points in six games, and more than 50 points twice. That's some pretty prolific offensive production. On the other hand, the season-ender was a one-sided loss to Clemson in the Citrus Bowl, a game in which the offense couldn't even get to 7 points. Total. All game.

So Josh got canned. A lot of folks say he wasn't the culprit, just the fall guy. You could definitely make that case.

Last edited:
I know I have been critical of Heupel and his decline after that great year at UCF does have me concerned but I do like a lot of what I am seeing and hearing. I realize at some point we need to stick with a coach. We can't keep rotating coaches like dirty shirts. Maybe this is the guy we give the time needed to rebuild a program.

You want your HC to be successful enough other schools want them. If no one wants them then your program is not doing well. Its a double edged sword to be successful. But the good coaches stay put once they got their program rolling as their employer bribes them with contract extensions and raises. And a very large buyout clause.

According to some, for not being related to Bob Stoops.

The theory goes like this: 2014 Sooners. End up 8-5, after starting the season #4 in the nation. Fans and boosters are demanding a blood sacrifice. It was the defense letting the team down...but the defense is led by Bob Stoops' brother, Mike. Can't fire your brother. So fire the guy leading the offense instead.

I don't know if that's accurate. I mean, we'll never hear Bob Stoops telling us his thought processes at the end of that season. He's not talking. So have to go on the available evidence. But it's mixed. Yes, the team scored more than 30 points in 11 of the 13 games that year, more than 40 points in six games, and more than 50 points twice. That's some pretty prolific offensive production. On the other hand, the season-ender was a one-sided loss to Clemson in the Citrus Bowl, a game in which the offense couldn't even get to 7 points. Total. All game.

So Josh got canned. A lot of folks say he wasn't the culprit, just the fall guy. You could definitely make that case.
Heupel also basically redesigned the whole offense as well.

Played two seasons at Oklahoma. Redshirted first season at Weber State.

I don't know whether or not CJH is the "one", but I do like his approach to building relationships, demanding accountability and team work. I also like his offensive approach, building you offense around the in-house talent - square peg, square hole.

GBO

Reactions: VFL-82-JP

VN Store

Back