PWO?

pastorvol

What exactly are the benefits of being a preferred walk-on?
Thanks for your responses!

What exactly are the benefits of being a preferred walk-on?
Thanks for your responses!
Often it's just to play at a larger school and possibly get more exposure than they would receive at a smaller school.
And if they are confident, then they believe they can earn a scholarship. Preferred is often an understanding that a coach is telling you that they want you and you have a higher possibility of attaining a scholarship than a walk on that wasn't "courted" by the coach.

Often it's just to play at a larger school and possibly get more exposure than they would receive at a smaller school.
And if they are confident, then they believe they can earn a scholarship. Preferred is often an understanding that a coach is telling you that they want you and you have a higher possibility of attaining a scholarship than a walk on that wasn't "courted" by the coach.
Thanks Chargervol!

Reactions: 87&91ALUM
I'm pretty sure there is a kicker from a Knoxville area HS that was invited as a PWO. I've never rooted so hard for a kid to make it in my life. He and his Dad have seats right behind one of my best friends and I've seen this kid at games since 2014. I had no idea he was that good of a kicker. He can kick the hell out of a football plus he and his Dad are such good people! Easy to root for when all the boxes are checked!

A PWO is essentially being guaranteed a spot on the team. As compared to a normal walk-on that has to try out and make the team, of course. Besides that, there is no benefit that I know of. Just a normal student in any other way, except you voluntarily sacrifice your time to work out and practice, with no guarantee of any future benefits (scholarship and cost of attendance stipend, namely).

But a walk-on can now be put on scholarship after just 1 year, so if you absolutely show out, a reward is not far off.

Some of the best coaches come from kids who love football and are not mature enough or large enough to play/start at D1/P5 schools. It is a great opportunity to learn fine points of the game.

These kids are sold on the fact that they are already better than half of the players in their position group and can come in and add immediate depth. The problem is that when they come in and actually prove it, the coaches back track and withhold opportunities. I mean what does it say if the walk on is better than scholarship kids that the coaches themselves recruited? Can't let the ego take a hit that their recruits are taking a back seat to a walk on. I've always been of the mindset that the coach could take credit for "discovering" a diamond in the rough. Some of these kids are being told in post season one on ones with coaches that they are this and that and there is no reason why they shouldn't be in there. They're told that minimally, there should be a special teams role for them, but the next season rolls along and zilch... You've got a handful of kids on this roster that should not only be on scholarship, but should be getting opportunities for playing time, especially when from year to year, we play the same players and complain about what they cannot do.

Could a PWO also be someone that their parents a financially sound enough so as they pay for college for them and thus save a scholarship spot?

Reactions: captennmike
Could a PWO also be someone that their parents a financially sound enough so as they pay for college for them and thus save a scholarship spot?
Rarely happens at all and I cant remember the last time it did. Part of being financially sound as a parent is understanding that the university should take care of those education expenses if your kid is going to be playing D1 football.

Reactions: Devo182
These kids are sold on the fact that they are already better than half of the players in their position group and can come in and add immediate depth. The problem is that when they come in and actually prove it, the coaches back track and withhold opportunities. I mean what does it say if the walk on is better than scholarship kids that the coaches themselves recruited? Can't let the ego take a hit that their recruits are taking a back seat to a walk on. I've always been of the mindset that the coach could take credit for "discovering" a diamond in the rough. Some of these kids are being told in post season one on ones with coaches that they are this and that and there is no reason why they shouldn't be in there. They're told that minimally, there should be a special teams role for them, but the next season rolls along and zilch... You've got a handful of kids on this roster that should not only be on scholarship, but should be getting opportunities for playing time, especially when from year to year, we play the same players and complain about what they cannot do.
Can you give examples of this actually happening?

Reactions: VolNExile
Just think of "Rudy" ...First year he was just a walk on....2nd year he was a PWO.

VN Store

Back