Put up or Shut up Time for Coach Martin

I would never have fired pearl to hire Martin. But now that pearl has fired himself, you need to come to grips with the idea that he's gone forever. Pretend he's like your favorite dog that died or something if that'll help you - or get therapy. He's gone forever.

Once you finally get your head around that concept, you will eventually see that though keeping Martin is not ideal, right now it's the best thing for the program. In future years, he will either develop or not and it will be reasonable to act.

But - get this through your head - this is not a choice between Martin and pearl, it never has been, and it never will be.

Realistic expectations are that we are a better basketball team than Iowa and mass and set up a duke game in Raleigh. Im at peace if we lose that game as long as we compete since it will practically be a duke home game.

Reactions: 1 person
I have been super critical of CCM on occasion and rightfully so the majority of the time. However, I have to give him props for getting his team ready down the stretch. The previous game against UF was a solid performance and most likely would of been a win if we shoot a tad bit better. We have a good amount of momentum entering this tournament. I have seen Iowa play this year and if we play the way we played against UF, Missouri, Vandy etc. we can beat them soundly. Lets get behind our coach. If CCM lays an egg in the dance, everything will take care of itself. GBO!

I would never have fired pearl to hire Martin. But now that pearl has fired himself, you need to come to grips with the idea that he's gone forever. Pretend he's like your favorite dog that died or something if that'll help you - or get therapy. He's gone forever.

Once you finally get your head around that concept, you will eventually see that though keeping Martin is not ideal, right now it's the best thing for the program. In future years, he will either develop or not and it will be reasonable to act.

But - get this through your head - this is not a choice between Martin and pearl, it never has been, and it never will be.

In that case, I'll wear my (insert Pearls new team here) shirt next basketball season. The dog didn't die, he just moved to a new yard.

This is setting up for a good laugh if we make the sweet 16 or even rd of 32. A sad little laugh where CCM moves to a Big10 job for a 50% raise, and then laughs as VN panics and blames Dave Hart when our top 15 candidates won't even interview for the job he just vacated and we end up with the coach of the 3d best NIT qualifier from the mountain west.

You mean like when we got Zo lol

In that case, I'll wear my (insert Pearls new team here) shirt next basketball season. The dog didn't die, he just moved to a new yard.

good for you. Some of us can't switch our allegiance so easily from UT to UP (U of Pearl)

Reactions: 2 people
I don't think Martin is going to lose his job, but I will be disappointed if we don't win against Iowa and Umass. I do not feel that this is unrealistic.

Not a "basketball school" but yet have the greatest women's basketball program of all time. Makes sense...

Slowly becoming one of the greatest. I think its pretty clear UCONN is at least even with UT for that distinction.

Tennessean columnist David Climber said in the paper today that CCM needs two wins to secure his job. I don't know how much stock to put in that, but it is out there. Of course there are those in here that feel that CCM is secure for at least one more year, maybe they are correct. We shall see. I just want the Vols to be successful.

Not true. Climber stated he thinks He should have to win two games.

I don't think Martin is going to lose his job, but I will be disappointed if we don't win against Iowa and Umass. I do not feel that this is unrealistic.

I agree 100 % with this. Iowa is on a downward trend while we are peaking. The hawkeyes slow it down in the half court and that plays into what we like do offensively. I haven't seen UMASS this year. Insight anyone?

Wow, that actually makes me feel great. I've lived here less than four years and I'm already a better vol fan than you are. You're only a vol fan when you like the coach!

Sweet!!

Wow, that actually makes me feel great. I've lived here less than four years and I'm already a better vol fan than you are. You're only a vol fan when you like the coach!

Sweet!!

And I don't live "here" at all...and look at me...still driving 6 hours to watch sub-par sports. I'm obviously NOT a true fan...

Lol.

Everything in sports is REALISTIC....that's why you play the game. Bruce had us in the Elite 8, so why lower expectations now? Like OP said, put up or shut up.

UTEP won the national championship. Every season since then has been a failure.

Same for Arkansas.

When he beat the number 1 team in the nation after losing like 7 players on scholarship. That was UNREALISTIC, but Bruce made it a REALITY.

Hey I'm just saying the E8 has only been done once for UT and we certainly overachieved that year as a 6 seed and 1 pt from the F4. Kudos to Bruce. But one could argue we underachieved as a 2 seed in '08. But to say or expect any of that to be the norm is silly. Could it have been with Bruce? Maybe, but we'll never know. Bruce had his dream job and then proceeded to take a large dump on it. He's a memory to me.

Reactions: 3 people
Cool, let's all just agree to be losers then. That sound like a plan? I mean...if aiming for the ELITE 8 is sooooooooo unrealistic, then why play the f****** game at all?

Hell, my stance has changed. Let's keep Zo for 20 more years. Maybe call Dooley and get him back on the football staff? How about a 3rd term for Obama? I mean...since everyone is cool with being a loser....

You might be my new hero. You sir are a very wise man.

Everything in sports is REALISTIC....that's why you play the game. Bruce had us in the Elite 8, so why lower expectations now? Like OP said, put up or shut up.

Jim Larranaga had George Mason in the Final Four several years ago. Should that be their expectation now too?

There is nothing wrong with having lofty goals, but being disappointed and calling for heads to roll if a coach doesn't meet YOUR expectations is silly.

Asking us to be a perennial Elite 8 team is beyond stupid. There are literally less than 15 teams in the country that should realistically have that goal and expect to hit it around 50% of the time.

That's not settling for mediocrity. It's called tempered expectations, and being realistic. If the name on the front of our jersey was Kentucky, or Duke, or Syracuse, etc., then it would be realistic to expect to play in the Elite 8 regularly, and it would be acceptable to be disappointed if we didn't.

VN Store

Back