Ps5 reveal

I apologize if my post came off so snarky. I was probably just caught up in my excitement after watching the event. And you couldn't be more wrong in thinking that I think Sony does no wrong. The PlayStation is my preferred platform and I can be pretty passionate about it but believe me I give them PLENTY of **** for things they do or don't do. After thinking on the event for a while, here's my list of pros and cons...

Pros:

1. I thought the overall presentation was really good! To be limited by COVID-19, I was very impressed by how professional and high quality the production of the whole event was. Major props to Sony for not making it feel cheap and thrown together (unlike the Inside Xbox event).

2. Sony showed a very diverse, well-balanced lineup of games. There was something shown for everyone...almost (I'll get to that in a minute). I was especially pleased at how many family-friendly games there were. As a father of two, this was nice to see! Also, even the so called indies looked beautiful and had high production quality. That "Kena" game looked amazing! It was like a Pixar film and that was designed by a small indie studio! Little Devil Inside was another one I found was very impressive!

3. I like how Sony kept emphasizing the new PlayStation Studios logo before each game reveal. It already does a great job of associating quality games with that logo. Kind of how Naughty Dog's logo invokes the same feeling of quality. Same with the "sacred symbols" that Sony kept emphasizing between each game trailer. Sony always does a great job of hammering those symbols home in the minds of gamers.

4. I like how Sony laid out the entire family of PS5 products for us to see with the console, the remote, the headphones, the camera, etc and how stylistically it all clearly goes together. The only thing now missing is VR 2.0 which I'm sure we'll see in a year or two.

5. I'm SO glad Sony is launching an all digital PS5 model from the get go! Since I already have a stand alone UHD player and I went all digital this gen already, this is a no-brainer to me!

Cons:

1. For as robust and diverse the games lineup was, there was a glaring lack of multiplayer-focused games. I was hoping Sony would address this better going into next gen. A SOCOM, Killzone, or even teasing The Last of Us 2 Factions would've gone a long way in better representing multiplayer gaming. However it seems as if Sony is going to continue to rely heavily on 3rd party partnerships to do a lot of the heavy lifting in that department. Speaking of...

2. I found it interesting/concerning that franchises such as Call of Duty, Destiny, Battlefield, Overwatch, Fortnite, etc were nowhere to be found in this presentation. Aren't some or most of these IP's partnered with Sony on marketing? Is it possible that Sony is losing some of these partnerships back to MS and thats why we didn't see them?

3. No Silent Hill or Batman! I thought it was all but guaranteed that those would be there. I was very disappointed that they were no shows.

4. No date, price, or pre order detail. I didn't really expect this but it was still disappointing. I'm so ready to pre-order this damn thing!

5. Not necessarily a con, but I'm honestly not sure how I feel about the console design. I'm still wrestling with it. It's so far removed from what I imagined it would look like, which I KIND OF like and at the same time I kind of don't. When it's vertical, I think it looks ok. Kind of a tuxedo with a popped collar or something. But laying sideways it just looks strange. I definitely like the all digital model more, as it's perfectly symmetrical. Whereas the standard model looks awkward with the slight "beer gut" to account for the 4K drive. Seeing the two models side by side, the all digital model looks like the intended design, where the standard model looks like the drive was thrown in as an afterthought.

That's better, lol.

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of the console design either. The PS4 had a great look that fit in well with an entertainment center without drawing attention to itself. This thing just screams "VIDYA GAME MACHINE."

Yes, Kena looked sick. R&C does as well upon closer inspection. Image quality is basically perfect now, which is why those games have a major Pixar film vibe. No jaggies, super high res textures, and LOD is top-notch across the board. That plus ray-tracing means we've officially reached CG-caliber graphics from 20 years ago.

I was just hoping for more killer app games. Demon's Souls was of course a treat but it's a remake. Gran Turismo no longer has the oomph that it had when Forza wasn't around or was just getting started (plus, racing games have looked excellent for a long time). A brand new SOCOM would have brought the house down, or any other unexpected announcement of a major franchise. I'm also a little biased because I never played Horizon: Zero Dawn, so that reveal didn't do much for me.

Microsoft may have an edge here with Halo Infinite being a launch title. But I wouldn't put it past Sony to have something up their sleeve--perhaps an exclusive third-party game that will be announced by the developer/publisher later this summer.

That's better, lol.

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of the console design either. The PS4 had a great look that fit in well with an entertainment center without drawing attention to itself. This thing just screams "VIDYA GAME MACHINE."

Yes, Kena looked sick. R&C does as well upon closer inspection. Image quality is basically perfect now, which is why those games have a major Pixar film vibe. No jaggies, super high res textures, and LOD is top-notch across the board. That plus ray-tracing means we've officially reached CG-caliber graphics from 20 years ago.

I was just hoping for more killer app games. Demon's Souls was of course a treat but it's a remake. Gran Turismo no longer has the oomph that it had when Forza wasn't around or was just getting started (plus, racing games have looked excellent for a long time). A brand new SOCOM would have brought the house down, or any other unexpected announcement of a major franchise. I'm also a little biased because I never played Horizon: Zero Dawn, so that reveal didn't do much for me.

Microsoft may have an edge here with Halo Infinite being a launch title. But I wouldn't put it past Sony to have something up their sleeve--perhaps an exclusive third-party game that will be announced by the developer/publisher later this summer.

They're not done announcing new things. They have another confirmed event in August where two more major exclusives are supposed to be announced. Plus who knows what info they'll drop between now and then.

I've spent a lot of time staring at the console, picturing it in my living room. The look of it is growing on me, especially the all digital version since its perfectly symmetrical. It looks premium with an aire of high end sophistication where the XSX just looks functionally industrial. Im thinking I will probably put it vertically beside my TV cabinet instead of inside my cabinet sideways. It just looks wrong sideways to me. In some strange way I think it looks like an evolution of the original Xbox 360 design.

I apologize if my post came off so snarky. I was probably just caught up in my excitement after watching the event. And you couldn't be more wrong in thinking that I think Sony does no wrong. The PlayStation is my preferred platform and I can be pretty passionate about it but believe me I give them PLENTY of **** for things they do or don't do. After thinking on the event for a while, here's my list of pros and cons...

Pros:

1. I thought the overall presentation was really good! To be limited by COVID-19, I was very impressed by how professional and high quality the production of the whole event was. Major props to Sony for not making it feel cheap and thrown together (unlike the Inside Xbox event).

2. Sony showed a very diverse, well-balanced lineup of games. There was something shown for everyone...almost (I'll get to that in a minute). I was especially pleased at how many family-friendly games there were. As a father of two, this was nice to see! Also, even the so called indies looked beautiful and had high production quality. That "Kena" game looked amazing! It was like a Pixar film and that was designed by a small indie studio! Little Devil Inside was another one I found was very impressive!

3. I like how Sony kept emphasizing the new PlayStation Studios logo before each game reveal. It already does a great job of associating quality games with that logo. Kind of how Naughty Dog's logo invokes the same feeling of quality. Same with the "sacred symbols" that Sony kept emphasizing between each game trailer. Sony always does a great job of hammering those symbols home in the minds of gamers.

4. I like how Sony laid out the entire family of PS5 products for us to see with the console, the remote, the headphones, the camera, etc and how stylistically it all clearly goes together. The only thing now missing is VR 2.0 which I'm sure we'll see in a year or two.

5. I'm SO glad Sony is launching an all digital PS5 model from the get go! Since I already have a stand alone UHD player and I went all digital this gen already, this is a no-brainer to me!

Cons:

1. For as robust and diverse the games lineup was, there was a glaring lack of multiplayer-focused games. I was hoping Sony would address this better going into next gen. A SOCOM, Killzone, or even teasing The Last of Us 2 Factions would've gone a long way in better representing multiplayer gaming. However it seems as if Sony is going to continue to rely heavily on 3rd party partnerships to do a lot of the heavy lifting in that department. Speaking of...

2. I found it interesting/concerning that franchises such as Call of Duty, Destiny, Battlefield, Overwatch, Fortnite, etc were nowhere to be found in this presentation. Aren't some or most of these IP's partnered with Sony on marketing? Is it possible that Sony is losing some of these partnerships back to MS and thats why we didn't see them?

3. No Silent Hill or Batman! I thought it was all but guaranteed that those would be there. I was very disappointed that they were no shows.

4. No date, price, or pre order detail. I didn't really expect this but it was still disappointing. I'm so ready to pre-order this damn thing!

5. Not necessarily a con, but I'm honestly not sure how I feel about the console design. I'm still wrestling with it. It's so far removed from what I imagined it would look like, which I KIND OF like and at the same time I kind of don't. When it's vertical, I think it looks ok. Kind of a tuxedo with a popped collar or something. But laying sideways it just looks strange. I definitely like the all digital model more, as it's perfectly symmetrical. Whereas the standard model looks awkward with the slight "beer gut" to account for the 4K drive. Seeing the two models side by side, the all digital model looks like the intended design, where the standard model looks like the drive was thrown in as an afterthought.

All good , bro! I love your passion.

VN Store

Back