Pruitt Secures Job This Week...

At least til next season.

Not because he takes down UGA, (although I think the D will look improved out there), but because he has some excuses for the season if it turns into a 3 or 4 win year. He was forced to replace his third year starting qb with a true freshman. Surely he can’t be expected to win a ton of games with a TF. Also, he kicked off a kid and had 3 transfer this week. Surely he can’t be expected to win a ton of games while trying to get the roster right. No matter what happens from here on out, Pruitt has bought himself another year, guaranteed. He’ll probably switch some coaches at the end of the year and that’ll be part of it too. We better hope next year’s recruits can be ready to go from day one and save the program.
How many recruits will want to come to this team. Recruits want to go to wining programs, that is a fact!!!

I love it when blanket comparisons are made. Do you work for the media?
Nope..... Its not really a blanket comparison more of a contrast.....good coaches do the best with what they have, bad coaches make excuses. Pruitt makes excuses.

Also, saying he is underachieving doesnt mean fire him now, it means hes underachieving. Its ok, admit it.

Not because he takes down UGA, (although I think the D will look improved out there), but because he has some excuses for the season if it turns into a 3 or 4 win year. He was forced to replace his third year starting qb with a true freshman. Surely he can’t be expected to win a ton of games with a TF. Also, he kicked off a kid and had 3 transfer this week. Surely he can’t be expected to win a ton of games while trying to get the roster right. No matter what happens from here on out, Pruitt has bought himself another year, guaranteed. He’ll probably switch some coaches at the end of the year and that’ll be part of it too. We better hope next year’s recruits can be ready to go from day one and save the program.
In my opinion, he's here whether he should be or not, but for you and others like you to 'guarantee' is ridiculous. Your 'guarantee' is nothing but a guess.

Reactions: lifeisdeep

I've been out of the loop the last few months. Who all transferred?

When we are 1-11 or 2-10 at the end of the year...not sure how many will think his job is secure at all..

Maurer will have to turn a corner fast just to get this team to 3 to 4 wins.

That being said its a beautiful day outside today! Gotta add in some positive vibes for the sunshine pumpers so I dont ruin their day by them living vicariously through posts based in reality.

Good coaches all over the country take less than stellar talent and still field competent football teams. You'll take alot of heat on vn for it, but it really is ok to admit that cjp is underachieving.

Did you really expect guys to be able to line up correctly, not blow coverages with less than 20 seconds in the game, beat Georgia State and not have games be effectively over at half time?

Don’t you know these are unrealistic expectations.

He's here next year, but it has nothing to do with anything sling blade has done. In fact, he has gone out of his way to make his job much harder. He lost the people who feel he should have gotten rid of JB after threatening cops. He lost the people who felt like he should have kept JB on the team after publicly saying he would. He's likely lost at least some of the players who feel like he switched midstream. He's lost a ton of media.

Oh, and there is no indication he can be a head football coach. So yeah, he'll be here next year. But if he was being retained on his performance thus far, he'd be gone when the clock hits zeroes after Vandy.

We are on this board so we are fans. We watch, read, and talk Tenn football. I am not a Pruitt fan but don’t concern with how long he stays. His apologists will argue about depth next year because he only has 3 LBers, WRs are young, QB is young, and he deserves time to build. His haters will argue he is in year 3 and he has not shown improvement.

Reactions: Seattle Hillbilly
Arizona State Ranked 20th beat Miss. St. Ranked team...Auburn Ranked 7th beat Oregon, Miss. St., Texas AM Ranked teams...Boise State beat 0 Ranked teams...Miami Ohio beat 0 Ranked teams...N. Carolina beat 0 Ranked teams...S.Carolina beat 0 Ranked teams...UCF Ranked 11th beat 0 Ranked teams...UConn beat 0 Ranked teams...USC beat 1 Utah 17th Ranked team. I guess my point is Besides Ariz. St, Auburn, and UCF, none of the mentioned teams are having a very good season unless they are playing lowly ranked teams.

He was never at risk next year. As long as Fulmer is AD, I don't see him getting any less than 4 years and the opportunity to flip this roster. At that point, his clock starts ticking. And as for a group of true freshmen swooping in to "save the program"....good luck with that. Don't care how talented they are.
In reality, I think some continuity will be good for this program, at this point, so I can't argue. I still feel, despite the record, CJP can be a good coach, and I've always liked Chaney, he's succeeded everywhere he went, and in different ways. He had a crazy rushing attack in Arkansas, salvaged Crompton at Tennessee and ran a solid offense at Georgia. I say give Chaney time, not sure about our defense though.

Pruitt is not going anywhere this season or all of next season

Reactions: thegasman54

It was already secure. Yall need to move on

Reactions: GordonC
Outside of Auburn and UCF the rest of the teams aren't having elite years. Most of this crowd is unrealistic with their expectations and will except nothing less than ELITE . They refuse to give Pruitt the time that is REQUIRED. They can't seem to understand that Pruitt is not responsible for the way things have been for the last 10 or so years. When things go great the QB and HC are hero's. They receive credit for things they shouldn't. It takes a TEAM. But when things go bad EVERYTHING falls on the QB and HC. Before anyone says, "Ya but we lost to GA St.." It happens to every program sometime. If this isn't your first year watching college ball you SHOULD know that. I hate that loss as much as anyone but we are not the first team to have that happen. Heck we are not the BEST team to have that happen. JMHO GO BIG ORANGE!

I don't think Pruitt's job is in jeopardy and it shouldn't be at this point! Eventually the program will turn around. I'm going to be supportive with words and actions while it happens! I'm in all the way!

Outside of Auburn and UCF the rest of the teams aren't having elite years. Most of this crowd is unrealistic with their expectations and will except nothing less than ELITE . They refuse to give Pruitt the time that is REQUIRED. They can't seem to understand that Pruitt is not responsible for the way things have been for the last 10 or so years. When things go great the QB and HC are hero's. They receive credit for things they shouldn't. It takes a TEAM. But when things go bad EVERYTHING falls on the QB and HC. Before anyone says, "Ya but we lost to GA St.." It happens to every program sometime. If this isn't your first year watching college ball you SHOULD know that. I hate that loss as much as anyone but we are not the first team to have that happen. Heck we are not the BEST team to have that happen. JMHO GO BIG ORANGE!

How is winning against teams like Georgia St & BYU considered “Unrealistic expectations”?

My point being that PF is a coach. He knows a rebuild like this takes time to clean out and flip the roster. Maybe a pencil neck AD wouldn't be so patient, but PF will certainly allow him the time to do that.

If ticket sales and overall revenue continue to decline, what makes you think Fulmer will still have a job to protect Pruitt?

Pruitt gets at least 3 years. However, if next year he is sub .500, then I doubt he will survive.

No problem here.

Tyler Bray had 5 passing TD's his first start at UT.

You sayin' his start against Memphis State was easier than Mauer against Ga.?

If ticket sales and overall revenue continue to decline, what makes you think Fulmer will still have a job to protect Pruitt?

Pruitt gets at least 3 years. However, if next year he is sub .500, then I doubt he will survive.

I don't think it's so much protection as understanding the true level of this rebuild. The roster was in shambles when he took over. On top of that, we have the transfer portal that kids who aren't playing/starting can take advantage of. Depth on this team will be suspect, at best, for the next couple of years at least. One rule that absolutely needs changing is the 25 scholarship limit. We need to allow a class size that allows you to get back to the 85 man roster. The 25 scholarship rule just knee caps programs like ours right now.

How is winning against teams like Georgia St & BYU considered “Unrealistic expectations”?
So you didn't read the entire post? I never said that loss is unrealistic. I was trying to say short of winning the East this year most of you guy's are ready to fire Pruitt. If you can't tell Pruitt knows a hell of a lot more about football than our last coach did, you don't know squat about football. Is he the greatest HC in D1? Only time will tell. He is learning and I know you feel we shouldn't have to wait for him to learn. We deserve a PROVEN HC. Do we really? Do you have any idea how bad this team was two years ago? We looked like my local High School team. I can try and explain things but I CAN'T understand if for you guys.

VN Store

Back