Pruitt says Chaney plays chess and not checkers

Well, in that case, all board games are a stupid analogy because that describes them all... and I don't disagree with you except that great Chess players (and I'm talking the best in the world) don't tend to be idiots. Bobby Fischer may have been crazy but his IQ was said to be 160. That is Stephen Hawking level smart.

Same with poker players. The best are very intelligent. To be a great chess or poker player, or a coordinator, you better be smart. Too many think you can just be a good old experienced boy. But the smart guys will beat them all day.

Theres a lot more to it than most think. There is game theory, "leveling", range meshing, etc. Dummies will always play on level 1 - what do I have? Most will advance to level 2 - what does my opponent have? Few get to level 3 - what does my opponent think I have (and how to react based on this perception)? Level 4 and beyond becomes a leveling game few ever reach.

If you don't cheat at Monopoly you aint tryin.

Game theorists have actually figured out Monopoly. There is an optimal strategy that nearly (there is still a lot of probability involved) wins every time, assuming you aren't playing someone else that knows the strategy.

Personally I love Monopoly where deals can be made, just as would happen in real life.

Chess is a stupid analogy considering both opponents start with exactly the same level of quality and potential in their pieces.

Sure, but a great chess player could start from a severely disadvantaged position (this is one way to play, to give a sort of "handicap") and still whip most people. This is the sign of a great player (or coach), doing more with less.

Reactions: shotgun83
Your funeral...or pregnancy while lyingin that state.

Do a youtube search for it. It took me some time to find someone who sold it locally. (Once they started putting sales tax on online purchases, I prefer to buy from the stores near me) It's a really fun game once you learn it.

Reactions: Vol_in_NC_1999
For currently non-titled chess players interested in improving their chess, understanding that rooks endgames are more frequently occuring than any other type of endgame (by a slight margin of 1.69% more frequently occuring than the 2nd most common type of endgame), you can focus your study on learning the proven winning best play principles of rooks endgame theory specifically to help you increase your overall strength and as a result, improve your overall record as a player.
As you start to recognize the positions and corresponding winning strategies you've learned from your training as they appear in all future games, unlike before your study, you'll know what to do to score a win in games that you may have otherwise lost without this knowledge.
So just as a quick recap, if you know what pieces and positions are most common at the end of the match, you can train to master those most frequently occuring scenarios come gametime. In chess, it's rook endgames.

It's so funny how coaches, analysts and fans all use the same cliches as if anybody ever says anything profound about football.
I think someone should make a list of all the cliches and then forbid all color commentators from using any phrase on it for one month. Half of them wouldn't be able to talk.

"type of player that brings his lunchpail"
"plays the game the right way"
"these teams really don't like one another"
"they can beat you so many ways"
"he runs downhill"
"playmakers all over the field"
"they make you earn it"
etc. ad nauseum

Reactions: Vol_in_NC_1999
Do a youtube search for it. It took me some time to find someone who sold it locally. (Once they started putting sales tax on online purchases, I prefer to buy from the stores near me) It's a really fun game once you learn it.
I took you literally.

Chess is a stupid analogy considering both opponents start with exactly the same level of quality and potential in their pieces.
Nah, chess is great. You're trying to out maneuver your opponent or out scheme him.
Think about their game plan charts. They are the size of newspapers with nearly every situation on them broken down.

Sure, but a great chess player could start from a severely disadvantaged position (this is one way to play, to give a sort of "handicap") and still whip most people. This is the sign of a great player (or coach), doing more with less.

Lol. A great chess player is only as strong as the pieces he has to work with.

Go>Chess

But his comments about CJCs creativity make sense given the names of people he interviewed (Briles, and some Gus Malzhan disciples). All are known for creativity. As is CJO who’s already on staff

...or Stratego. You can learn a lot about a person by how well they play that game.

I played that with my sister when we were 7-8 years old. She cheated to try to win the game. That told me everything I needed to know about her from then on. There are times I wished she ended up like Fox Mulder's sister when they played.

VN Store

Back