Pruitt not going anywhere

You mean the same boosters who love to go cheap on every hire? The same boosters are supposedly going to wake up one day and light 10 million on fire to get rid of Pruitt and then spend another 10 million to go out and hire a coach and staff and pay their current schools' buyouts to get them here? All on top of Butch's buyout?

Funny joke

Its really funny when its the ones that like to learn us all on the special power of looking at the past to know how good or bad a coach is going to be. They explain how they been telling everybody "what's up" with the current coach and his failure is inevitable so why not go ahead and cut bait now. No way he's going to be a success, look at his past.

But, our administration gonna get it right. This time!

Despite being 0-2 and 5-9 overall, Pruitt isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. The reason is not because of his buyout or anything financially related. It’s because his boss is Phillip Fulmer. Remember that Fulmer himself perceives his own firing to be premature and knee jerk in nature and that he should’ve been given more time to fix the program. If you think Fulmer is going to turn around and do the same thing to a coach he picked that was done to him, then you’re in for disappointment. Get as mad about that as you want, but win or lose, or lose or lose, Pruitt’s our coach at least through the end of the 2020 season. As even then it would have to be under utter catastrophic conditions for Fulmer to cut bait after 3 years. If you disagree, tell me why.

I agree with this 100%, but .... it's also the buyouts. They've committed so much money to assembling one of the best staffs in the country; they're not breaking them up.

But I agree: Fulmer's experience with getting fired in 2008 prematurely (at least in his eyes) will color his views on Pruitt, as well. I also think rationally, it's difficult not to notice that most of the players Pruitt has brought in are doing well and almost all the malcontents and slackers were Butch recruits. Fulmer likely sees that and understands it's going to take a few years to rebuild; he's willing to take the PR hits in the meantime.

Despite being 0-2 and 5-9 overall, Pruitt isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. The reason is not because of his buyout or anything financially related. It’s because his boss is Phillip Fulmer. Remember that Fulmer himself perceives his own firing to be premature and knee jerk in nature and that he should’ve been given more time to fix the program. If you think Fulmer is going to turn around and do the same thing to a coach he picked that was done to him, then you’re in for disappointment. Get as mad about that as you want, but win or lose, or lose or lose, Pruitt’s our coach at least through the end of the 2020 season. As even then it would have to be under utter catastrophic conditions for Fulmer to cut bait after 3 years. If you disagree, tell me why.

Pruitt isn't going anywhere because firing him would be catastrophically stupid.

It is pride and unwillingness to admit they MAY have made a mistake. No change coming in HFC anytime soon. Tennessee football is just not pleasant to watch anymore.

The roster flip is in progress. We are playing 9 Freshman. The difference in the type of athletes is apparent. Be patient. Gonna be a rough year but we have some Studs that are being thrown in the fire and will be battle hardened. Stay the course. GBO
You may be completely right, but we have heard this exact thing for many many years. We may be a bit skeptical.

Totally agree. The stadium could be one third full with a disastrous team and Fulmer would keep him. I would be surprised if Pruitt is not the coach in 2021 and just hope by some measure he can get it together.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019

I disagree because I wanna be contrary.....

Honestly, Pruitt is safe for 2020 barring a 0-3 win season. With that being said, it's not unrealistic to see this team go 1-11, 2-10, or 3-9.....

I think Pruitt will be gone in a year or 2 and PF will promote Tee. I honestly believe that’s been the plan since the rumors started of Pruitt wanting out to go back to be a DC and the rumors of turmoil within the staff. Could also be why they went for Chaney instead of a hotter name. They knew he wouldn’t argue about being promoted over and it’s also a move that would allow them to keep a chunk of the staff and only need to replace a few that leave.

You may be completely right, but we have heard this exact thing for many many years. We may be a bit skeptical.

I think your skepticism is well-founded, but I have some hope remaining. There is such a fundamental chasm between Pruitt and Butch Jones that I am not completely surprised with a regression. Disappointed? Yes. Surprised? No. Pruitt pretty much told every player on the roster last year that he was going to go out and recruit someone to take his place. Judging by the number of 1st and 2nd year players that are seeing vast playing time, he was telling the truth. Further, until they can bring a QB along far enough to replace JG, they are handcuffed in what they can do offensively.

I think CJP is recruiting the right type of player to be competitive, and, as those players physically and mentally develop, they'll be good SEC football players. There's too much winning history with the coaching staff to believe they don't have the X's and O's talent to win. There's no reason to think they can't teach the fundamentals of the game. This program will improve. It's only a matter of how quickly it happens and how much patience the powers that be are willing to exercise.

I have no idea with the ceiling is for CJP, but I would bet a big sum that it's a lot better than what we are seeing now.

Fire Pruitt! Fulmer needs to take over this sinking ship and win us another natty!

puking in my mouth saying this but....
Kentucky stayed the course with Stoops and look where it got them a 10 win season....
We stay the course and here at TN we can be competing for a Natty...
this over reaction is unbelievable....
GO VOLS

He ain't going no where, we own Butch thru 2021.

Besides, I'm tired of coaching changes, Pruitt and Fulmer can wallow in it.

I think Pruitt will be gone in a year or 2 and PF will promote Tee. I honestly believe that’s been the plan since the rumors started of Pruitt wanting out to go back to be a DC and the rumors of turmoil within the staff. Could also be why they went for Chaney instead of a hotter name. They knew he wouldn’t argue about being promoted over and it’s also a move that would allow them to keep a chunk of the staff and only need to replace a few that leave.

So Pruitt is gonna leave 9 million on the table to go back and be a coordinator?

The only thing that removes Pruitt before the end of 2020 is an empty stadium. We’re upside down on coaching salaries/ buyouts. He’s not going anywhere as long as the stadium is half full.

He doesn't even have two full recruiting classes on campus yet (first one was 1/2 Jones players and he was on a time crunch).

He mentioned something that resonated with me: With Bituli and Bryce out, we only had 3 starters on defense from last year...and for some strange reason, Alontae Taylor and Nigel Warrior have regressed.

Reactions: jctenn1
Wow...I have to commend you for reaching a whole new level of nonsense. The minor problem with your cheeky question is that, if Saban were coaching us, we would not have gotten worked by Georgia State and followed that by losing to BYU. We also would not have lost by 25 six times last year.

Really? Louisiana Monroe beeotch slapped Saban in Tuscaloosa.

Reactions: jctenn1
He doesn't even have two full recruiting classes on campus yet (first one was 1/2 Jones players and he was on a time crunch).

He mentioned something that resonated with me: With Bituli and Bryce out, we only had 3 starters on defense from last year...and for some strange reason, Alontae Taylor and Nigel Warrior have regressed.
Warrior has been a huge disappointment...to say the least.

I agree. I don’t know if people know that that is the one major burr in Fulmer’s saddle: the lack of opportunity to turn things around. (According to him.) Above the buyouts, the turnover, loss of recruits and loss of money, Fulmer does NOT want to do to Pruitt what he had done to him. It was the source of his anger and bitterness for years and it would look completely hypocritical for him to do it to his first hire. Only way he gets fired is if he is forced to do at which I believe he’d resign first.

Since we are expressing opinions, here is mine, which is worth just as much as anyone else's opinion, or maybe not, lol.. I think Coach Pruitt will at least be here through next season, the 2020 campaign. Coach Pruitt and the Vols will have to step up big time next year, since it looks our Vols will be hard pressed to win 4 games this year, so that means 4-8 as the best record for 2019. Another horrible losing season and one game worse from 2018, for Coach Pruitt. 2020 will need to be 8-4 in the regular season in my opinion, and yes I know we play Oklahoma, along with Bama, Gators and UGA. The other 8 games that regular season the Vols need to win, as it would be a big, positive step in the right direction. Would getting to a bowl game after the 2020 season be acceptable, probably so, but I don't like continually lowering expectations, because the Vols should be aiming to avoid perpetual mediocrity, so I would like to see the Vols be better than 6-6 or 7-5 next year. If the Vols have another losing season in 2020, I believe Coach Pruitt will be fired, as it is his job to coach his team to win football games, and Vols fans should expect a winning product to be displayed on the field. With that being said, I'm a Vols fan and have been for a long time, and always will be... Go Big Orange!

VN Store

Back