Pruitt learns a valuable Lesson....

Pruitt "Learned a Valuable Lesson" in his First Year as Vols' Coach | RTI

I didnt see this posted anywhere tell me what you think about this article. Looks like Pruitt had to do a lil bit of OJT.
Anyone that didn't think he would run into situations he wasn't prepared for weren't realistic. No matter how good a coach is prior to taking over, they will never be as completely prepared as they would like to be. He may run into new situations this year. Whether he continues to learn and improve is the thing we need to keep an eye on. It is much different being a part of a team than it is being in charge of it.

Reactions: TJSVOLS
Thanks for the article, but it says nothing really. IMO..........
I would hope a first year coach learns from the mistakes he/she is bound to make.

Reactions: Titan05
I think his biggest mistake was hiring 2 coordinators who did not have P5 coordinating experience. That's almost suicide for a HC with no HC experience...

I know I got ripped for bringing that up last year but it does look like he is learning what works and what doesnt in the SEC...
Agree but I would only mention 1 coordinator. The defense was/is going to be Pruitt's defense regardless.

Losing to Vanderbilt is probably the greatest litmus test we have to determine that there's a problem with our program. Pruitt got his one mulligan last year. It'd better not happen again. Otherwise we know he's not the guy.
Losing to Vandy is a litmus test for EVERY program in football to gauge how bad they actually are.

CJP is doing the right things. In his first year, there were SO MANY issues with the program, it's hard to fault him for not covering ALL of them at once. I like the direction the program is moving under Head Coach Pruitt and Athletic Director Fulmer. Not looking for a "magic wand" overnight return to consistent greatness. It takes time and IF they are granted the time...I believe we have the horses to get there.
GBO..!!
Where have I heard this before? It always takes time. We always need to give them plenty of time.

Coach Pruitt is heading on a great trajectory. He did not declare the losers to be champions of life or worry about shower technique. He called 'em out! As the roster develops, it will be easier to roll some heads.

GO BIG ORANGE!
Shower discipline is underrated. Lately I've been focusing on better arm-lathering technique and it has shaved ten seconds off my total wash time.

The honeymoon is over for Pruitt. He better show improvements and be competing for SECE titles in year four, or we need to look for someone that can.

The honeymoon is over for Pruitt. He better show improvements and be competing for SECE titles in year four, or we need to look for someone that can.

so the honeymoon is over but just competing for the sece in year 4. Some on vn. Wow

so the honeymoon is over but just competing for the sece in year 4. Some on vn. Wow

Correct. He inherited a team that was winless in conference and a complete train wreck in all aspects.
Year 1: Improved by winning 2 SEC games.
Year 2: Expect improvement and roster depth, 4 SEC wins.
Year 3: Improvement and a dark horse in the SECE.
Year 4: Be a highly competitive, if not favored team for the SECE.

Please share where your expectation would differ. I am very interested in you enlightening "those of us on vn" with your knowledge.

Correct. He inherited a team that was winless in conference and a complete train wreck in all aspects.

Please share where your expectation would differ. I am very interested in you enlightening "those of us on vn" with your knowledge.
Did you come up with this timeline by yourself? Did you share your timeline with the Administration, and Pruitt. I am sure that he would welcome your expectations and input.

Did you come up with this timeline by yourself? Did you share your timeline with the Administration, and Pruitt. I am sure that he would welcome your expectations and input.

Thanks for your comments. Very constructive and insightful. 5 Star message board contributor. Probably a prolific twitter user as well.

Reactions: Titan05

Don't think it will be possible with you, I kinda agree on some of what you said until you had to be a smart a$$. I was not trying to be one but whatever.

When we talk about DEPTH...it's important to remember what Phil Fulmer said during the Orange and White game.
Paraphrasing here, but it went something like:
"We need enough top-tier talent on the team that every player has to compete for their starting position every week" .
The importance of DEPTH goes beyond just having good players to rotate in and out during a game, or (God forbid) when there's an injury.
Having and keeping QUALITY depth on the roster is how a program becomes a consistent top-tier competitor. We need to build a program where truly excellent players would prefer to be on the bench now and then at Tennessee than starting somewhere else.

Pruitt's brother has talked about sitting down and watching a game with him and listening to his brother call out every play the offense was about to run. This is the kind of defensive mind we have at the helm.

And yet....

VN Store

Back