Pruitt learns a valuable Lesson....

Of course he has things to learn. Never expected otherwise.

What I will give him credit for imo, he seems to learn quickly. He doesn't mess around forever, trying to prove his way is best (like someone no longer employed here). If it's not working, he makes a move, decisively.
All I can ask.

Those last 2 losses were BRUTAL. I hope he learned that losing to Vandy is unacceptable under ANY circumstances. The fact they were unmotivated and unprepared falls squarely on his lap as HC. The jury is still out on Pruitt. Hope he can turn this around.

I've said it before, it's all well and good to be a stickler and a disciplinarian but you can cross the line with that and be like the guy from Animal House who ended up being shot in Vietnam by his own troops (or like Stannis Baratheon to put it in Game of Thrones' terms). Glad he did some soul searching, that's a positive sign.

It does feel unusual to hear a UT HC talk about learning from their mistakes. Is there a chance Fulmer had similar statements back in the early 90s? I'm wondering if Pruitt has a reverence for CPF and is taking his advice on what to improve on.

CJP is doing the right things. In his first year, there were SO MANY issues with the program, it's hard to fault him for not covering ALL of them at once. I like the direction the program is moving under Head Coach Pruitt and Athletic Director Fulmer. Not looking for a "magic wand" overnight return to consistent greatness. It takes time and IF they are granted the time...I believe we have the horses to get there.
GBO..!!

CJP is doing the right things. In his first year, there were SO MANY issues with the program, it's hard to fault him for not covering ALL of them at once. I like the direction the program is moving under Head Coach Pruitt and Athletic Director Fulmer. Not looking for a "magic wand" overnight return to consistent greatness. It takes time and IF they are granted the time...I believe we have the horses to get there.
GBO..!!
We also have to realize Pruitt took over after our team went 4-8 (0-8 SEC). The program was at one of its worst or the worst position ever. He has a tough job ahead to get this thing turned around but is doing it.

It does feel unusual to hear a UT HC talk about learning from their mistakes. Is there a chance Fulmer had similar statements back in the early 90s? I'm wondering if Pruitt has a reverence for CPF and is taking his advice on what to improve on.
I've heard Fulmer mention "learn from your mistakes" a few times, I'm sure there's a correlation.

The other phrase that caught my attention (Fulmer's O&W game interview)
"we're in line [admin and coaches] in a way that that we haven't seen since the early 2000's".
It's been said many times that Clawson wasn't Fulmer's 1st choice - different styles. And that he wanted to sweeten the pot for Cutcliffe, keeping staff together - think Dabo at Clemson. But more than money, Cut was quick to take the next HC job that got him off the hill and that wasn't on Fulmer. He still thinks the world of Phil. It was something else.

Combine the 2, I think it paints a decent picture of how things unraveled.

Those last 2 losses were BRUTAL. I hope he learned that losing to Vandy is unacceptable under ANY circumstances. The fact they were unmotivated and unprepared falls squarely on his lap as HC. The jury is still out on Pruitt. Hope he can turn this around.

They are guaranteed 12 games a year, if they can't get motivated they need to find something else to do. Coachs can only do so much. And of course the jury is still out on Pruitt.

They are guaranteed 12 games a year, if they can't get motivated they need to find something else to do. Coachs can only do so much. And of course the jury is still out on Pruitt.
Almost zero depth plays a part also. Have trouble out of the starters because they're used to coasting, lose the game.
Bench starters, no depth behind them, lose the game.

He had one shot to make them all buy in and he says he missed it. Wants to avoid that happening again. Improve himself, culture and depth is the only way.

Almost zero depth plays a part also. Have trouble out of the starters because they're used to coasting, lose the game.
Bench starters, no depth behind them, lose the game.

He had one shot to make them all buy in and he says he missed it. Wants to avoid that happening again. Improve himself, culture and depth is the only way.

Agree it's going to take a complete culture change, and it's going to take time.

How so? What responsibility do the players have?

Reactions: crovol and peaygolf
I think his biggest mistake was hiring 2 coordinators who did not have P5 coordinating experience. That's almost suicide for a HC with no HC experience...

I know I got ripped for bringing that up last year but it does look like he is learning what works and what doesnt in the SEC...

VN Store

Back