Pruitt is becoming a Tennessee guy

He also has said that he is ‘Proud’ to be apart of this great university and this Vols team. I really like the guy as our coach. He may not end up taking us to where we want to go but I think he represents us well and is a class act.

Never forget, this is a business. If he cements a legacy here, wins a title or has a dominant decade (what up, Coach Pruitt?), maybe he'll be a Vol in his heart then, but never forget that this is a business. These guys know what to do and what to say when the cameras are on.

He also has said that he is ‘Proud’ to be apart of this great university and this Vols team. I really like the guy as our coach. He may not end up taking us to where we want to go but I think he represents us well and is a class act.
👍

Reactions: Element01
Never forget, this is a business. If he cements a legacy here, wins a title or has a dominant decade (what up, Coach Pruitt?), maybe he'll be a Vol in his heart then, but never forget that this is a business. These guys know what to do and what to say when the cameras are on.
Right you are, always remember this is their job.

That's pretty cynical.

Most coachs do not think of it as a job it is there life. Yes they want to make money to support their families, but they love the game.

You can tell he’s almost got the culture completely changed. I don’t know about the rest of you but the defense in the first half brought back memories of the 90s. Before Indiana’s last drive before the half to get the field goal I think they had 35 yards of offense. That was very pleasing to see that type of domination again.

Most coachs do not think of it as a job it is there life. Yes they want to make money to support their families, but they love the game.
Agree. When you take a head coaching job your life is coaching and recruiting. There is little time where there is nothing to do. You have to love the game to put the time required to win into it

I disagree, friend.

Over a 26 year career in the Army, I was assigned to, led, and commanded a number of different units. Was never in one place for more than three years. I guess you'd say it was a business. It was certainly a job.

But I fell in love with just about every one of those units, and wanted desperately to get back to most of them after having gone off somewhere else. Didn't take a dominant decade, or a legacy; just took a couple of years of caring deeply about the fellows I trained and worked with, and developing pride in the history and culture of that emblem we wore on the uniform showing we were part of the same team.

Another way of saying it: the human spirit gets dragged into the mix even when things start off clinically professional.

General Neyland was born a Texas boy. No one would argue he wasn't all Vol from the 1930s on.

Same thing appears to be happening with Brother Pruitt. I'm excited about that. Think we all should be.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
He is set up for success here. This could be his legacy. Now, can he do it?
Not convinced he will ever return to Tuscaloosa. Just as close to Knoxville from his hometown.

He is set up for success here. This could be his legacy. Now, can he do it?
Not convinced he will ever return to Tuscaloosa. Just as close to Knoxville from his hometown.

Riiiiiight. AL is his home state and UA is his alma mater. He'd run all the way to Tuscaloosa in his bare feet if they wanted to interview him.

Reactions: 08Vol and FLVOL_79
Riiiiiight. AL is his home state and UA is his alma mater. He'd run all the way to Tuscaloosa in his bare feet if they wanted to interview him.
Just like Vince Dooley went back to Auburn, Pat Dye back to UGA. Ask Doug Dickey how that worked out for him. Ask Ray Perkins how great it was to follow a legend in Tuscaloosa.

Funny thing about human nature is, it's additive. What I mean by that:

I've been a Tennessee Volunteer from birth. Never for one minute budged even an inch on my loyalty to this great state.

But over an Army career that saw me assigned to bases in North Carolina four different times for a total of 11 years of my life, I came to understand, appreciate, and fall in love with the Tarheel state as well. I like their traditions, their history, their culture and love their people. Great people in North Carolina--which, if you think about it, is Tennessee's parent in much the same way as we are the parent to Texas.

So I'm 100% Volunteer. But I'm also proud to have strong ties to the folks of North Carolina, as well.

Jeremy's born and bred Bamer, sure. He's also, more and more, a Volunteer.

Just how the human spirit works, for most of us.

Go Vols!

Just like Vince Dooley went back to Auburn, Pat Dye back to UGA. Ask Doug Dickey how that worked out for him. Ask Ray Perkins how great it was to follow a legend in Tuscaloosa.

None of those jobs are comparable to Alabama. Doug Dickey returned to UT last time I checked.

Reactions: 08Vol
Watching that tweet...Decade of the Vols....does Pruitt sound like coach Eric Taylor of the Dillon Panthers to anyone??

Clear eyes...

None of those jobs are comparable to Alabama. Doug Dickey returned to UT last time I checked.
Not as a head coach. And he was fired as head coach at Florida. You will be surprised where Bama has to go to get a coach after Saban. The next coach there has absolutely no chance to be successful. They are not exceptional and it happens to every program.

Reactions: feathersax
Not as a head coach. And he was fired as head coach at Florida. You will be surprised where Bama has to go to get a coach after Saban. The next coach there has absolutely no chance to be successful. They are not exceptional and it happens to every program.

Keep telling yourself that.

Reactions: 08Vol

VN Store

Back