Pruitt grabs Shamburger's jersey - media snowflake loses it

This doesn't seem like a big deal to me. It wasn't like Pruitt beat him to death with his helmet.

I also find it odd the writer is a Mizzou alum. Surely he wasn't pushing an agenda..

Pruitt does need to be careful though. Fair criticism or not, a narrative is developing that he "roughs up" players. Any little thing he does, however minor (such as grabbing a dude's jersey), will be under the microscope. It is the nature of woke Twitter these days.

Odd. I teach at the college level and don't see this behavior.

I also finished my PhD coursework and didn't take Liberal Indoctrination 501 or 502. I hope they don't revoke my degree.

Universities now provide counseling after elections because so many students can't handle not getting their way. Yet, you don't think the younger generation is softer than ones in the past? I think that meme is pretty accurate.

It used to be, "Sticks and stones. . ." and "I'm rubber, you're glue. . ." Now it's people looking to get offended. If they aren't offended themselves, they're offended on someone's else's behalf - as in this case. It used to be called coaching.

That’s part of coaching IMO. Coaches get your face when you mess up. If he’s actually hitting and abusing one of the players that’s a different story but he’s not “laying hands” on him. Where I come from “laying hands” on someone means you hit them. This is only going to make Sham a better player because Coach made him realize what he did wrong. You can’t just walk up to him and tell him “Hey you can’t make that penalty.” That doesn’t send a strong message. I really hate how soft the world has become.

Boy he sounds butthurt. Another underwhelming season. Not as underwhelming as his Tigers. I said before the season began they'd be a disappointment. Paper tigers.

Last edited:
Reactions: allvol123
This has nothing to do with coaches or players being ’soft’ or some hack’s media bias. It’s just something you can’t do in 2019. The Woody Hayes era is long gone. Fisher just took some heat over a recent facemask grab.

I suspect Fulmer will have a meeting with Pruitt very soon. UT doesn’t need negative press while the program is rising. Pruitt got a soft pass on the first incident. Now, the media smells blood in the water. It’s best to squash this now so it never happens again.

Reactions: CampBlount
Universities now provide counseling after elections because so many students can't handle not getting their way. Yet, you don't think the younger generation is softer than ones in the past? I think that meme is pretty accurate.

It used to be, "Sticks and stones. . ." and "I'm rubber, you're glue. . ." Now it's people looking to get offended. If they aren't offended themselves, they're offended on someone's else's behalf - as in this case. It used to be called coaching.

The generation acts that way because that's how their parents raised them. They're the same ones who handed out the participation trophies.

Would sure be great to talk about football instead of turning yet another corner of the internet into a Fox News debate, but even after a big win, we just can't have nice things.

Haven't read the entire thread, but I'll go ahead and post this... The ones who are losing it over the "grab" are concentrating on the wrong thing. They should be concentrating on Shamburger's response. That's a player that respects the heck out of that coach. Good on you, Pruett for having earned his respect enough that he accepts discipline from you. And good on you, Shamburger for being mature enough to accept discipline.

Some sports writers get attention by going haywire with picayunish criticism. Coach Pruitt is not Woody Hayes. He seems to know what he is doing and have a good way with guys on the team. If the players like him and respect him, that is far more important than what the writers have to say.

WWWOOOOOOWWW!!!! I actually just read the article and it was terribly cringeworthy! Very poor sentence structure, not readable, and lack of complete thoughts. Where does Yahoo get their writers from?!?! the local middle school??
No, apparently from the university of missouri. And ,yes the U and the M were NOT capitalized on purpose. In this case the quality of the football there is equivalent to the educational value of the school itself. Very sad.

Tennessee coach Jeremy Pruitt grabs player's jersey and scolds him after penalty

Remember when Pruitt grabbed JG's facemask after JG's boneheaded QB sneak decision in the Alabama game? Now they're upset about Shawn Shamburger getting a little tough love after his stupid and unnecessary late hit penalty. I don't remember these kind of incidents causing a stir before recently. Wth? Is this ball room dancing or football?

Discipline is part of football and football is a tough demanding sport that requires focus and using your head, something Shamburger didn't do Saturday night

Reactions: Smallvol#1
This has nothing to do with coaches or players being ’soft’ or some hack’s media bias. It’s just something you can’t do in 2019. The Woody Hayes era is long gone. Fisher just took some heat over a recent facemask grab.

I suspect Fulmer will have a meeting with Pruitt very soon. UT doesn’t need negative press while the program is rising. Pruitt got a soft pass on the first incident. Now, the media smells blood in the water. It’s best to squash this now so it never happens again.
Left out the blue font there, attack.

This doesn't seem like a big deal to me. It wasn't like Pruitt beat him to death with his helmet.

I also find it odd the writer is a Mizzou alum. Surely he wasn't pushing an agenda..

Pruitt does need to be careful though. Fair criticism or not, a narrative is developing that he "roughs up" players. Any little thing he does, however minor (such as grabbing a dude's jersey), will be under the microscope. It is the nature of woke Twitter these days.
I see your point, but think it more profitable to take Twitter to task instead of CJP. Let's pressure woke Twitter to grow up instead of pressuring our football coaches to stop growing the young men in their care.

Yeah, again: I'm on campus working with college students every day. You've been spoon-fed a cute little narrative that is by no means indicative of the majority of students today.

Sure you've got some campuses where over-coddled high school graduates gather and attract camera attention at a higher rate than other schools. You just don't hear about the sane schools because sane schools don't boost ratings or promote the wimpy kid narrative.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back