Pruitt explains what is valued during practices and scrimmages

His statement about the former high school QB reminds me of back when coach ? (brain fart, can't remember name:() recruited guys who had played high school QB. He said they were good athletics, smart, and knew most positions on the team. DICKEY!!! came to me!!:)

Coach makes some good points!

He is injured now so it doesn't matter, but Baylen Buchanan was one of those guys who knew everything and played with great technique yet when the ball came his way he never made a play. Last year Bryce Thompson didn't know everything, but was by far the best DB on the team and playmaker on defense.

Wright and Harrison are guys that will both be starting by Florida game imo... Henry T will be game 1. Crouch will play a ton and will have an immediate impact.

Coach makes some good points!

He is injured now so it doesn't matter, but Baylen Buchanan was one of those guys who knew everything and played with great technique yet when the ball came his way he never made a play. Last year Bryce Thompson didn't know everything, but was by far the best DB on the team and playmaker on defense.

Wright and Harrison are guys that will both be starting by Florida game imo... Henry T will be game 1. Crouch will play a ton and will have an immediate impact.

That was an interesting pt by Pruitt. And your pt @ Buchanen seems accurate too.

And another detail I think is important is Player 1, might not have made plays when it went his way, but how many plays did he prevent from happening by being in the right spot to begin with? That is a detail that I think as a fan is easy to overlook at times. Like yeah maybe Player 2 makes a great pass break up play, but maybe the ball wouldn't have even had a chance to go his way that play if he was in position. That is a fine line.

Pruitt was brutally honest his first year here. This offseason he has said some positive things but still has been critical. I dont think he is going around using coach speak and spreading false hope. I have seen no reason to believe he is lying about strength and condition.
He's been a lot more positive than last year. Both in what he has said, but especially his demeanor. He actually seems excited to me when he talks to the media now as opposed to just pissed off and combative last year.

Maybe it's improvement from the team, or maybe he's just more comfortable with it all this year.

I'll be honest.. I just read that article and nothing Pruitt said made any sense to me. Guys aren't ready yet, but they may be by game 5. The explanation of that made my head spin though haha

Reactions: RollerVol
He's been a lot more positive than last year. Both in what he has said, but especially his demeanor. He actually seems excited to me when he talks to the media now as opposed to just pissed off and combative last year.

Maybe it's improvement from the team, or maybe he's just more comfortable with it all this year.

He's got some pieces to work with for sure.
If our offense can just play up to their ability, then we're going to be a tough out!

Bcause this defense is going to be a problem for some teams.

BYU isn't going to know what hit them.

Reactions: Alto1
I'll be honest.. I just read that article and nothing Pruitt said made any sense to me. Guys aren't ready yet, but they may be by game 5. The explanation of that made my head spin though haha

He's saying there are guys that need just a little more coaching before they start, because some guys have limitations and if the better player knows enough about their position, then you play them over the players with limitations.

Reactions: butchna and KBVol
He's saying there are guys that need just a little more coaching before they start, because some guys have limitations and if the better player knows enough about their position, then you play them over the players with limitations.
Yes. And young guys who don’t know exactly what to do but make 4 out of 5 plays when given the opportunities need to play ahead of older guys who know where to be/what to do, but make 0 of 5 plays when they have a chance. Pretty elementary imo.

I saw it on the vid. Makes sense 2 me. You have some guys who technique, position, and mentally make all the right decisions. But when play happens that doesn't result in impact plays like turnovers, PBUs, fumbles caused etc. The other guys are less understanding of the system, techniques, position etc. But, even in the errors they make, when the game is played those guys cause big impact plays. Even when they may be compensating for mental errors in said plays.

It was a detailed way to say "The younger, more talented ballers are sometimes better or eventually will be better than the less dynamic old guys who have been in the system longer".

Maybe he feels like there is more to be positive about this than vs last year. GO VOLS ;)

maybe he sees potential, but not quite up to his/SEC standard, but a little later down the road they may be...:D

PS. I hope they 're ready sooner than later...

GO BIG ORANGE!

Pruitt explained what he values during practices and scrimmages of where players are at in development.

Jeremy Pruitt explains what is valued during practices, scrimmages
Practice seems to be going much better because the coaches have been teaching them how to practice. My question about this is does having to teach practice technique take away from teaching skill development and implementing defense and offense technique? After seeing practice as much as possible I believe it does. I usually see the season through orange colored glasses and this year is no different but I am tempering my orange sight and honestly expecting another tough season. We will be stronger,faster,and know the offense and defense better but we still need players that rival the rest of SEC. Two more years of top 10 recuriting classes are needed to build what Pruitt and fans want. This year if we make a bowl we all should feel better about where the program is headed. Coach is on the right path it's just gonna take longer than we want. I think we ALL need to realize that. GBO

Practice seems to be going much better because the coaches have been teaching them how to practice. My question about this is does having to teach practice technique take away from teaching skill development and implementing defense and offense technique? After seeing practice as much as possible I believe it does. I usually see the season through orange colored glasses and this year is no different but I am tempering my orange sight and honestly expecting another tough season. We will be stronger,faster,and know the offense and defense better but we still need players that rival the rest of SEC. Two more years of top 10 recuriting classes are needed to build what Pruitt and fans want. This year if we make a bowl we all should feel better about where the program is headed. Coach is on the right path it's just gonna take longer than we want. I think we ALL need to realize that. GBO

I THINK we should be really solid when all the 1's are on the field, both offense and defense. Seems like we have some really good players at SOME of the positions as far as the 2's go that we aren't sure how they will perform in front of 102,455 fans. I think for the first time in a long time, we have 1's who are true SEC caliber players, but the jury is still out on the 2's and beyond. If we stay healthy I think putting the "vol glasses" on is not out of the question. However, if we were to lose the right first team guy, it could derail the whole season because we just havent gotten the depth yet. I do think it is coming and CJP has us moving in the right direction.

Long story short is we can't afford any injuries if we want to win the swing games like FL, SC, Miss State, and Mizzou.

Reactions: Tnslim1
Was that the long winded way to say that sometimes they are going to play the guy that makes plays and not the guy that practices well?

Ehhh....

As a coach, you want to keep opportunity even. You have to show up in practice. That's where they see you most.

But man, sometimes you have just have to go with what you see in the game.

It's not always an easy decision. I liked the way Pruitt answered that scenario.

VN Store

Back