Pruitt’s 1st year, and the his future with Tennessee

KnoxRealtorVOL

First of his name
Just a couple of quick points to make about Pruitt as we approach SEC Media Days and the start of Fall practice:

1) Pruitt had a very good first year. Hear me out here:

You pretty much ALWAYS go backwards in Year 1. Pruitt took over the actual worst team in Tennessee history, and in Year 1 went against the toughest schedule Tennessee has had to play in as far back as I can remember (do you all realize that aside from the 3 scrubs and Vandy, every team we played either started or finished the year ranked in the Top 25? 4 of which either started or finished in the Top 10?? That’s unheard of.) Pruitt should have won 3 games last year. Instead, Pruitt:

-Increased our win total from 2017 by 1 game
-Increased our conference win total by 2 games
-Beat two Top 25 teams, one of which was on their field
-Beat an SEC West team for the first time in 8 years
-Improved Tennessee in basically every category
-Was only one of 4 teams in the regular season to score 21 or better on Bama (the next two SEC teams they played were shut out)

And again, did this all in Year 1, taking over the worst team in school history, and going against one of the toughest schedules in school history.

We have great reason for optimism under Pruitt.

Now: Reality check.

Saban will retire at some point in the next few years, and Dabo isn’t going to Bama. So either Pruitt hasn’t accomplished enough here to be courted by Bama, or Bama calls and Pruitt will have his bags backed within 5 minutes.

Pruitt is from Bama, played at Bama, his family is in Alabama, and it will be the most desired coaching job in the history of sports. Truth be told, I would question Pruitt’s judgment if he didn’t take the job.

We have less than 2 months until kickoff and our schedule is much much much easier this year. Let’s be appreciative of what Pruitt has done so far and get ready to enjoy the 2019 season.

Just a couple of quick points to make about Pruitt as we approach SEC Media Days and the start of Fall practice:

1) Pruitt had a very good first year. Hear me out here:

You pretty much ALWAYS go backwards in Year 1. Pruitt took over the actual worst team in Tennessee history, and in Year 1 went against the toughest schedule Tennessee has had to play in as far back as I can remember (do you all realize that aside from the 3 scrubs and Vandy, every team we played either started or finished the year ranked in the Top 25? 4 of which either started or finished in the Top 10?? That’s unheard of.) Pruitt should have won 3 games last year. Instead, Pruitt:

-Increased our win total from 2017 by 1 game
-Increased our conference win total by 2 games
-Beat two Top 25 teams, one of which was on their field
-Beat an SEC West team for the first time in 8 years
-Improved Tennessee in basically every category
-Was only one of 4 teams in the regular season to score 21 or better on Bama (the next two SEC teams they played were shut out)

And again, did this all in Year 1, taking over the worst team in school history, and going against one of the toughest schedules in school history.

We have great reason for optimism under Pruitt.

Now: Reality check.

Saban will retire at some point in the next few years, and Dabo isn’t going to Bama. So either Pruitt hasn’t accomplished enough here to be courted by Bama, or Bama calls and Pruitt will have his bags backed within 5 minutes.

Pruitt is from Bama, played at Bama, his family is in Alabama, and it will be the most desired coaching job in the history of sports. Truth be told, I would question Pruitt’s judgment if he didn’t take the job.

We have less than 2 months until kickoff and our schedule is much much much easier this year. Let’s be appreciative of what Pruitt has done so far and get ready to enjoy the 2019 season.
Why would anyone ever want to follow one of the greatest head coaches. That’s a lot of pressure.

I've said all along that Pruitt WILL end up at Bama. It's obvious he can recruit (note the 2019 class he signed with a 5-7 record!) He knows the Landscape and he Knows Alabama; where He Coached the best D in the Country. Saban will retire within 5 years (I think 3) and we are once again looking for a HC. Probably Tee Martin. I think Pruitt hired Tee just for that purpose. Get him ready; then beat his azz every year. Hmmmm. Sound Alabama-ish?

Why would anyone ever want to follow one of the greatest head coaches. That’s a lot of pressure.

Because there is a lot of pressure here too. Maybe not quite as much as following in Saban’s footsteps, but you have to win here or you get fired.

When you coach at Bama, you don’t play Bama every year.

If Bama calls, Pruitt is gone. I would put a year’s salary on it.

Reactions: Orangeslice13
If Pruitt does well enough to be offered by Bama that means he will have dominated Florida and Georgia. If that's the price I'll pay it at this point
This. But i would replace those big 2 with the majority of the SEC. He will have to win 9-10 games a year before they bring him in.

We are the next Clemson, Pruitt is the next Dabo. He will win a national championship before Saban retires and Fulmer will make him the highest paid college football coach in the country. That's why he he won't go to Alabama. Also, he will have a statue in front of the stadium and a street names after him one day. Someone refresh this in twenty years so i can float. 😁

FSU will test the waters with Pruitt soon. His path to overall success would be much easier in Tallahassee than Knoxville.

Reactions: 08Vol and PA Vol
We are the next Clemson, Pruitt is the next Dabo. He will win a national championship before Saban retires and Fulmer will make him the highest paid college football coach in the country. That's why he he won't go to Alabama. Also, he will have a statue in front of the stadium and a street names after him one day. Someone refresh this in twenty years so i can float. 😁
I’ll gladly have whatever you are drinking! Make it a double!

You could also look at it like the next Bama coach will have an absolutely loaded roster and killer recruiting relationships.

If Pruitt does well enough to be offered by Bama that means he will have dominated Florida and Georgia. If that's the price I'll pay it at this point
Correct. Because if we have our 💩 together enough that he is being offered the Alabama job, that means he is one of the biggest names in college football. We will have a recent history of a return to glory and a stocked team. At that point, we will be back to a top 5-10 school and will have a great number of highly-rated coaches wanting to come in here.

My hope is that (1) Pruitt is so successful that Alabama wants him, (2) Fulmer still sits in the AD position because (a) he will fight to keep a winning coach and (b) if we were in a coaching search, I believe Fulmer would be a great decision maker.

You could also look at it like the next Bama coach will have an absolutely loaded roster and killer recruiting relationships.
And it can only go one way. Down...and following Saban, a 2 loss season would have the fans ready to burn the coach at the stake.

Look at Bama’s history after Bryant and Stallings.

Pruitt's first year was a mixed bag. There was the good (Auburn, UK, fewer injuries, good recruiting), the bad (Mizzou, Vandy, the Helton hire, struggling at the beginning/end of halves), and the ugly (the UF game). Since then he added another good class and improved the OC position....

The wins over Auburn and Kentucky were impressive. The blowout losses to Vandy and Missouri weresnot. I was not surprised by the result of either the Florida or West Virginia games, but I was disappointed with the margin. I do think he has recruited pretty well all factors considered. So yeah, mixed bag, the jury is still out, these clichés are pretty accurate at this time.

Last edited:
Agree with booglevol 100%.He is an independent coach that follows his heart and thoughts.It is possible that,if offered,he would accept.But,when he brings Tennessee football back to where history and volnation believes it belongs,he may do as Dabo has done and remain to have his own legacy.Following Pat Summit,Holly was always compared to Pat.Not saying the two are any way related intheir abilities,but,it is there.Let's keep our eyes on this season and see what is going to happen.Go Big Orange!

Correct. Because if we have our 💩 together enough that he is being offered the Alabama job, that means he is one of the biggest names in college football. We will have a recent history of a return to glory and a stocked team. At that point, we will be back to a top 5-10 school and will have a great number of highly-rated coaches wanting to come in here.

My hope is that (1) Pruitt is so successful that Alabama wants him, (2) Fulmer still sits in the AD position because (a) he will fight to keep a winning coach and (b) if we were in a coaching search, I believe Fulmer would be a great decision maker.

Yes , agree on all points...………………….

Not necessarily. If Saban retired after next year and they couldn’t get Dabo or Fisher. I think If we at least went 7-5 or better they might try to snag him. I love Pruitt and would hate for him to leave tbh.

VN Store

Back