Proposed new SEC schedule, who does UT get?

Hoping for 3-6. Just so tired of UT selling us tickets to see Akron, UTM, and South Alabama. Show some gonads and find decent competition. If you are going to schedule those schools go and play in their conferences. I have been following UT football for more than 60 years and tired of the wussification of our schedule. I understand one of those a year but what happened to UCLA, USC, Cal, Notre Dame, Penn St., Syracuse, and teams like that? We do not play teams like that because we are afraid of getting beat.

I know people are going to say we have a strong schedule because we play in the SEC, but guess what, we are a member of the SEC and have been since 1933.

We recruited much better when we scheduled better. Sellouts were much more common then also.

Hoping for 3-6. Just so tired of UT selling us tickets to see Akron, UTM, and South Alabama. Show some gonads and find decent competition. If you are going to schedule those schools go and play in their conferences. I have been following UT football for more than 60 years and tired of the wussification of our schedule. I understand one of those a year but what happened to UCLA, USC, Cal, Notre Dame, Penn St., Syracuse, and teams like that? We do not play teams like that because we are afraid of getting beat.

I know people are going to say we have a strong schedule because we play in the SEC, but guess what, we are a member of the SEC and have been since 1933.

We recruited much better when we scheduled better. Sellouts were much more common then also.
100%. Meaningless games suck. They suck more when we schedule them and lose them anyway.

Play and beat the best. And at the end of the day, games against big teams are more entertaining. College football is entertainment first and foremost.

If they are doing three permanent opponents, here is who I got:

Alabama: Auburn, Mississippi State, Tennessee

Arkansas: LSU, Texas, Missouri

Auburn: Alabama, Georgia, Ole Miss

Florida: Georgia, Kentucky, South Carolina

Georgia: Auburn, Florida, South Carolina

Kentucky: Florida, Tennessee, and Vanderbilt

LSU: Arkansas, Ole Miss, Texas A&M

Missouri: Arkansas, Oklahoma, Mississippi State

Ole Miss: Auburn, LSU, Mississippi State

Mississippi State: Alabama, Ole Miss, Missouri

Oklahoma: Missouri, Texas, Texas A&M

South Carolina: Florida, Georgia, Vanderbilt

Tennessee: Alabama, Kentucky, Vanderbilt

Texas: Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas A&M

Texas A&M: LSU, Oklahoma, Texas

Vanderbilt: Kentucky, South Carolina, Tennessee

This keeps the most rivals and balance. The only team that really has a brutal lineup is Texas A&M on this list.

Alabama-Mississippi State would be a lighter game from Alabama and is actually one of the longest played series in the SEC as the two schools are not far apart. This was one of the major changes on the list.

Reactions: LETTERMAN88

We started sucking

Reactions: volbound1700
Yeah, our OOC schedule in the 1990s were not stellar either (they were better) yet we recruited fine. Lack of Sell Outs have been related to the fact that we have literally only finished ranked in the top 25 twice since Fulmer left (2015/2016). We have only beaten Florida 1x, Alabama 0x, and Georgia 3x during that stretch.

Definitely related to lack of success.

I don't mind having some easy games to watch our players develop and serve as preseason game. I do think the limit should be 2 games though instead of 3-4 games some teams do.

They’ve always played midmajors especially after 1990 when everyone in college football adjusted their schedule. And we still play a P5 team every year like Washington, Syracuse Virginia, NC State, Oregon, Nebraska, etc so you aren’t even right about that

Reactions: Volnatic
100%. Meaningless games suck. They suck more when we schedule them and lose them anyway.

Play and beat the best. And at the end of the day, games against big teams are more entertaining. College football is entertainment first and foremost.
Outside of Georgia St, Wyoming or Memphis which all three were basic flukes we don’t lose to non P5 midmajors often

Yeah, our OOC schedule in the 1990s were not stellar either (they were better) yet we recruited fine. Lack of Sell Outs have been related to the fact that we have literally only finished ranked in the top 25 twice since Fulmer left (2015/2016). We have only beaten Florida 1x, Alabama 0x, and Georgia 3x during that stretch.

Definitely related to lack of success.

I don't mind having some easy games to watch our players develop and serve as preseason game. I do think the limit should be 2 games though instead of 3-4 games some teams do.
Sellouts have nothing to do with that. College football isn’t the same as in 1990 across the board. Also our 1990s OOC schedules were outstanding

We have always played at least 1 decent OOC P5 or Independent school. We played the ACC champs last season, we play them again this season on the road. Next year vs UVA. Future games vs Syracuse, Nebraska, Washington. I will have a problem if we don’t honor those games if we move to 9 Conference games. I would say that we have scheduled more aggressively than anyone else in the SEC, other than Arkansas.

Last edited:
Except we aren’t and it’s dumb to suggest we are when we continuously play one of the hardest schedules in the conference. Oregon. Oklahoma. Nebraska. Syracuse. Pitt. Ga Tech. WVU. Washington. Virginia.
Three of those schools have been in the College Football Playoff.

This Century off of the top of my head:
Syracuse
Notre Dame 3x
Rutgers
Miami H/H
Cal H/H
UCLAH/H
Oregon H/H
NC State
Cincinnati
Ga Tech
WVU
BYU
Pitt H/H

I’m sure I missed someone . We have played as an aggressive of schedule as anyone . We should not be embarrassed with our scheduling over the years at all.

Except we aren’t and it’s dumb to suggest we are when we continuously play one of the hardest schedules in the conference. Oregon. Oklahoma. Nebraska. Syracuse. Pitt. Ga Tech. WVU. Washington. Virginia.
Lets see... Let's drop army and play Akron (a real powerhouse) along with Ball state and Tennessee Martin (two other power houses). Bowling Green, Tennessee Tech, and south Alabama last year. Three easy give me wins every year. Look at Alabama playing Texas . That's what people want to see. Georgia playing Oregon early and Notre Dame playing Ohio State.

Sellouts have nothing to do with that. College football isn’t the same as in 1990 across the board. Also our 1990s OOC schedules were outstanding

Our National Title year was Syracuse, Houston, and UAB. In 2000 we played Southern Miss, UL Monroe, and Memphis (no power 5). 1996 had UNLV, UCLA, and Memphis. I don't see how this is any different than our current OOC schedules with one quality opponent and the rest G5 opponents. Granted in 1997 we played Texas Tech and UCLA and in 1994 we played UCLA and Washington State. However, most of the time it was one Power 5 and two G5 teams. Also some of those Power 5 programs where not consider high level programs at that time and were seen as weaker matchups (Texas Tech and Oklahoma State for example).

We still played usually 2-3 non power 5 teams OOC in the 1990s. I guess the main difference now is having 3 G5 instead of 2 but we still have typically only that one challenge OOC game.

The reason we sold tickets was that most years we were ranked and even in the top 10. Something we don't have now.

Lets see... Let's drop army and play Akron (a real powerhouse) along with Ball state and Tennessee Martin (two other power houses). Bowling Green, Tennessee Tech, and south Alabama last year. Three easy give me wins every year. Look at Alabama playing Texas . That's what people want to see. Georgia playing Oregon early and Notre Dame playing Ohio State.
No one cares about not playing Army. Akron is exactly the same type program. And we are playing Pitt. Followed by Virginia followed by Nebraska etc. please tell me who UT doesn’t play that you think is “tough”. And we had Ohio St scheduled for home and away and they cancelled on us back in 2014

Our National Title year was Syracuse, Houston, and UAB. In 2000 we played Southern Miss, UL Monroe, and Memphis (no power 5). 1996 had UNLV, UCLA, and Memphis. I don't see how this is any different than our current OOC schedules with one quality opponent and the rest G5 opponents. Granted in 1997 we played Texas Tech and UCLA and in 1994 we played UCLA and Washington State. However, most of the time it was one Power 5 and two G5 teams. Also some of those Power 5 programs where not consider high level programs at that time and were seen as weaker matchups (Texas Tech and Oklahoma State for example).

We still played usually 2-3 non power 5 teams OOC in the 1990s. I guess the main difference now is having 3 G5 instead of 2 but we still have typically only that one challenge OOC game.

The reason we sold tickets was that most years we were ranked and even in the top 10. Something we don't have now.
So give me a SEC or P5 school that has had a tougher schedule since 1990

So give me a SEC or P5 school that has had a tougher schedule since 1990

USC Trojans if you are looking at OOC Schedules. Look it up.

I agree we play tough schedules but comparing our OOC schedules now vs. 1990s, I do not see much of a different. The lack of sales is directly related to the lack of wins/success.

What about when we played Oregon or Oklahoma early ? That’s been in the last decade. We’re playing a conference champion that went to a NY6 bowl last season. Hell Pitt is better than Texas.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
USC Trojans if you are looking at OOC Schedules. Look it up.

I agree we play tough schedules but comparing our OOC schedules now vs. 1990s, I do not see much of a different. The lack of sales is directly related to the lack of wins/success.
So arguably one school who regularly plays Hawaii and Fresno St and other G5 ls too. Got ya 😂

So arguably one school who regularly plays Hawaii and Fresno St and other G5 ls too. Got ya 😂

USC has NEVER played a Div II team and they have often had 5 Power 5 teams on their schedules. Here is their schedules:

2021: BYU, San Jose State, Notre Dame
2019: Fresno State, BYU, Notre Dame
2018: UNLV, Texas, Notre Dame
2017: Western Michigan, Texas, Notre Dame
2016: Alabama, Utah State, Notre Dame
2015: Arkansas State, Idaho, Notre Dame
2014: Fresno State, Boston College, Notre Dame
2013: Hawaii, Boston College, Utah State, Notre Dame
2012: Hawaii, Syracuse, Notre Dame
2011: Minnesota, Syracuse, Notre Dame (ALL POWER 5)
2010: Hawaii, Virginia, Notre Dame
2009: San Jose State, Ohio State, Notre Dame
2008: Virginia, Ohio State, Notre Dame (ALL POWER 5)
2007: Idaho, Nebraska, Notre Dame
2006: Arkansas, Nebraska, Notre Dame (ALL POWER 5)
2005: Hawaii, Arkansas, Notre Dame, Fresno State
2004: Virginia Tech, Colorado State, BYU, Notre Dame
2003: Auburn, BYU, Hawaii, Notre Dame
2002: Auburn, Colorado, Kansas State, Notre Dame (ALL POWER 5 programs and 4 of them)
2001: San Jose State, Kansas State, Notre Dame
2000: Penn State, Colorado, Idaho, Notre Dame (3 POWER 5 teams)

USC had 4 seasons with nothing but Power 5 programs on their schedule and generally had 2 Power 5 programs and 1 G5 program on their schedule. Their G5 opponents were also tougher opponents such as Fresno State, BYU, or Hawaii and not programs like Louisiana-Monroe, UAB, etc. that struggle to have winning seasons.

So explain to me how Tennessee has harder OOC schedules again?

If you weren't trolling and actually read my posts and gave logically responses, you would see this information and not come out looking dumb.

USC has NEVER played a Div II team and they have often had 5 Power 5 teams on their schedules. Here is their schedules:

2021: BYU, San Jose State, Notre Dame
2019: Fresno State, BYU, Notre Dame
2018: UNLV, Texas, Notre Dame
2017: Western Michigan, Texas, Notre Dame
2016: Alabama, Utah State, Notre Dame
2015: Arkansas State, Idaho, Notre Dame
2014: Fresno State, Boston College, Notre Dame
2013: Hawaii, Boston College, Utah State, Notre Dame
2012: Hawaii, Syracuse, Notre Dame
2011: Minnesota, Syracuse, Notre Dame (ALL POWER 5)
2010: Hawaii, Virginia, Notre Dame
2009: San Jose State, Ohio State, Notre Dame
2008: Virginia, Ohio State, Notre Dame (ALL POWER 5)
2007: Idaho, Nebraska, Notre Dame
2006: Arkansas, Nebraska, Notre Dame (ALL POWER 5)
2005: Hawaii, Arkansas, Notre Dame, Fresno State
2004: Virginia Tech, Colorado State, BYU, Notre Dame
2003: Auburn, BYU, Hawaii, Notre Dame
2002: Auburn, Colorado, Kansas State, Notre Dame (ALL POWER 5 programs and 4 of them)
2001: San Jose State, Kansas State, Notre Dame
2000: Penn State, Colorado, Idaho, Notre Dame (3 POWER 5 teams)

USC had 4 seasons with nothing but Power 5 programs on their schedule and generally had 2 Power 5 programs and 1 G5 program on their schedule. Their G5 opponents were also tougher opponents such as Fresno State, BYU, or Hawaii and not programs like Louisiana-Monroe, UAB, etc. that struggle to have winning seasons.

So explain to me how Tennessee has harder OOC schedules again?

If you weren't trolling and actually read my posts and gave logically responses, you would see this information and not come out looking dumb.
Again I said ok USC so 1 school arguably has a tougher schedule. And if you think UAB and Ohio and Appy State aren’t as tough as Fresno St and Hawaii (two teams we have also played) you are simply being obtuse. Not to mention we have scheduled every major program they have except for Texas and Kansas St

Tennessee ranks among the toughest OOC schedules the last 40 years for a reason

Again I said ok USC so 1 school arguably has a tougher schedule. And if you think UAB and Ohio and Appy State aren’t as tough as Fresno St and Hawaii (two teams we have also played) you are simply being obtuse. Not to mention we have scheduled every major program they have except for Texas and Kansas St

Tennessee ranks among the toughest OOC schedules the last 40 years for a reason

I am not sure that is 100% the case. Georgia is another one that regularly plays two Power 5 teams. There have been many seasons where they played Clemson and Georgia Tech or Oklahoma State and Georgia Tech.

I cannot do all of the research but I would say there are other programs out there. Now overall, Tennessee's SOS has been tough in the past but we don't matchup with say Auburn who plays in the more brutal SEC West and has both Alabama and Georgia like we do as well as typically a tough OOC game like we do.

Tennessee's schedule has been more manageable recently by having four of the weakest SEC brands as annual opponents: Missouri, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, and South Carolina.

Florida has also been very inconsistent as well and beatable but we haven't taken advantage of that.

Still, I don't think our OOC schedule has anything to do with our ticket sales as was discussed previously. I think our lack of success (especially in big games like Alabama) has played a big part. When we had life with Heupel just this past season, we sold out the Ole Miss game. Frankly, when we get these big-time matchups, we need to start winning them. Sure the refs jobbed us in that game but had we been able to slow down Matt Corral or kept scoring in the second half, even the refs wouldn't have stopped us.

I definitely think Heupel has us going in the right direction but let's wait and see.

VN Store

Back