Proposed new SEC schedule, who does UT get?

I'd love for that to be the case, but there's no way that Alabama isn't paired with Auburn in that situation. If the SEC goes with 7+1, the Vols are stuck with Vandy.

Alabama and Auburn would be part of the same division in any scenario. The plus 1 is cross division permanent

Reactions: b_gann
Alabama and Auburn would be in same division. Unless there is something I'm missing
I think OP was saying each team would have 1 permanent opponent and 7 random opponents every year. I keep hearing 3-6-6 is most likely to happen, with each team getting 3 permanent opponents and rotating the others 6 and 6 every other year.

Reactions: b_gann
I think OP was saying each team would have 1 permanent opponent and 7 random opponents every year. I keep hearing 3-6-6 is most likely to happen, with each team getting 3 permanent opponents and rotating the others 6 and 6 every other year.

that would absolutely shock me if they did that. That would kill many rival games. no way that would happen

I want Alabama, Florida and Georgia as the 6-3 opponents.

So you don’t want anymore SEC championships. Playing murderers row PLUS others is just stupid. I’d prefer the 2 divisions. Traditional rivals is what’s built the SEC.

Reactions: peaygolf
that would absolutely shock me if they did that. That would kill many rival games. no way that would happen

I agree that it’s both insane and an awful idea but, allegedly, the one permanent/7/7 structure is tied with three permanent/6/6 as the last two schedule possibilities standing.

If they go 1/7/7, UT gets Vandy unless the SEC is crazy. If they go 3/6/6, Alabama and (probably) Kentucky are played yearly.

Either way, sadly, kiss Florida and Georgia goodbye.

Reactions: unfrozencvmanvol
I agree that it’s both insane and an awful idea but, allegedly, the one permanent/7/7 structure is tied with three permanent/6/6 as the last two schedule possibilities standing.

If they go 1/7/7, UT gets Vandy unless the SEC is crazy. If they go 3/6/6, Alabama and (probably) Kentucky are played yearly.

Either way, sadly, kiss Florida and Georgia goodbye.
I really hope they do the 3/6/6 model between those two. What people have got to realize is that under either model there are only two types of teams, either the kind you play every year (the "3" or the "1") or the kind you play every other year (the "6/6" or the "7/7"). Not being a permanent is not as big a deal as it is now. The fans will see UF and UGA on the schedule twice every 4 years, not once every 7 like say Ole Miss is now (we'll also see Ole Miss twice every 4 years), it's going to be better. "Permanent" rivals is just about saving a few traditional yearly match-ups, but who your "permanent" is, is not as prejudicial under either of these systems as it is now. Someone who "doesn't have Bama" still plays them twice every 4 years under these systems. There is practically no way any team can have an easy schedule anymore.

This is what Sports Illustrated said would be the most likely permanent rivals….

• Missouri: Oklahoma; Arkansas; South Carolina
  • Arkansas: Missouri; Texas; Kentucky
  • Texas A&M: LSU; Texas; Mississippi State
  • Texas: Oklahoma; Texas A&M; Arkansas
  • Oklahoma: Texas; Missouri; Florida
  • LSU: Ole Miss; Texas A&M; Alabama
  • Ole Miss: Mississippi State; LSU; Vanderbilt
  • Mississippi State: Ole Miss; Kentucky; Texas A&M
  • Alabama: Auburn; Tennessee; LSU
  • Auburn: Alabama; Georgia; Vanderbilt
  • Vanderbilt: Tennessee; Ole Miss; Auburn
  • Tennessee: Vanderbilt; Alabama; South Carolina
  • Kentucky: Mississippi State; Arkansas; Georgia
  • Georgia: Auburn; Florida; Kentucky
  • Florida: Georgia; South Carolina; Oklahoma
  • South Carolina: Florida; Missouri; Tennessee

I am a little excited about changing things up. I will be glad to dump Florida as an annual game because we ALWAYS choke in that game and lose. Not playing Georgia regularly anymore will be nice. We will still have Alabama, Vandy and I heard Auburn would be in our pod. I also think they will try to keep Tennessee-Kentucky (you will likely have 3 pod games and then 1-2 games that are locked with other pods).

If we keep 5 lock teams, Florida may make the cut. However, I am fine dumping them.

This is what Sports Illustrated said would be the most likely permanent rivals….

Screw USCjr…..add UK and I’d be fine. Gamecocks aren’t a rival. UK is.

South Carolina? No way. We'll get Kentucky and Georgia will get South Carolina in that scenario.

Nothing comes good from a 16 team league with everyone playing different schedules. 2 divisions 7 games & 1 or 2 outside the division. A real champion would get crowned that way. Isn’t that’s what this is all about now?

I am a little excited about changing things up. I will be glad to dump Florida as an annual game because we ALWAYS choke in that game and lose. Not playing Georgia regularly anymore will be nice. We will still have Alabama, Vandy and I heard Auburn would be in our pod. I also think they will try to keep Tennessee-Kentucky (you will likely have 3 pod games and then 1-2 games that are locked with other pods).

If we keep 5 lock teams, Florida may make the cut. However, I am fine dumping them.
We're going to play everyone "regularly" under the 3-6-6 plan. 3 teams we'll play 4 times in 4 years, everyone else at least 2 times in 4 years.

I would like to see permanent rivals kept at a minimum, preferably zero. Each game in a college football season is so important. It's not fair if our rival is Alabama and someone else's is Ole Miss. I do think the SEC should go to 9 conference games. That's what most Power 5 conferences are doing

Just to note: team that gets paired permanently against Ole Miss is currently Vanderbilt.

Wow. If this is the case, I would be begging for this if I were Arkansas. We have a pretty good draw too, with one MASSIVE Exception.

View attachment 458010

If Bedlam continues (I personally doubt it will continue but i hope it does) then there should be no reason why Missouri and Kansas shouldn't renew their "Civil War" rivalry game.

I don't see Texas playing a rivalry game out of conference with any Big 12 team.

Just my $.02

“Border War.” Sorry, clarifying its name. “Civil War” is the name of the rivalry game between Oregon and Oregon State.

Unfortunately, that’s been all on Kansas. Missouri tried to keep the series going as a yearly OOC matchup after the conference realignment and Kansas wanted nothing to do with such (pretty much in the exact same vein as when A&M tried to continue the Lone Star Showdown with Texas).

Bro, everyone wanting Bama, Fla, or UGA, havnt been watching college football the past 20 years. Easier schedule and winning is MUCH better than a hard schedule and going 6-6. News flash, we haven't beat Bama since us 30 year olds were in middle school. Give me Vandy and walk away with the win.

How is USCe more of a rivalry game for UT than either UF or UGA? How is UK more of a rivalry game for UGA than UT? OU is a rivalry game for UF that makes sense? I just don't see any rationale behind several of these.

FWIW, I would like to see two divisions of 8 teams. Play each division team every year plus two rotating cross over games. Seems they're making this a lot more complicated than it needs to be.

If not that, have 4 pods with 3 permanent opponents and the ability to schedule whoever you like after that as long as you have a total of 8 SEC games or more. Let the winner of each pod enter a 2 round championship for the SEC at the end.

Reactions: wmcovol

VN Store

Back