Proposed new SEC schedule, who does UT get?

I think UGA has passed us in conference wins but I agree, back before there were divisions everybody had different rivals, and ours included Bama, we did fine.
I think they are still behind us, at least that's what I got from the SEC history wiki. Bama & UT were #1 & #2 in the SECoverall wins, conference wins, Natty's, & SEC titles. We were 3rd in division titles, of course Fla beat us in that category. Other than that we are the 2 most accomplished programs in the SEC. Heck we lost 15 in a row and still beat them more than everybody else.

Reactions: unfrozencvmanvol
I think UGA has passed us in conference wins but I agree, back before there were divisions everybody had different rivals, and ours included Bama, we did fine.
Rechecked and we are 15 wins clear of Ga who is #3 in SEC wins. Bama is 56 wins clear of us at #2.

Rechecked and we are 15 wins clear of Ga who is #3 in SEC wins. Bama is 56 wins clear of us at #2.

We're 3 wins ahead of them overall through this last year. This website is good for that:

I-A Wins 1869-2021

1653503653978.png

I've seen a recent tally of conference wins somewhere but I couldn't find it. I did find this Saturday Down South article though, and it says we were 15 wins ahead of them in conference wins 7 years ago, which would have been up to and through the 2014 season. I'm pretty sure we are behind them now if you add it up because our fortunes have been pretty different the last 7 years.

Every SEC team’s all-time conference record

We're tied with them in SEC titles at 13. We have more overall conference titles though because I think we won the precursor to the SEC, the Southern Conference like 3 times to Georgia's once. Historically, we have certainly been #2 and even basically tied for #1 at times, we've lost a lot of ground in the last 15 years, UGA has passed us in several categories and LSU is right behind them.

Reactions: 901 Orange
When you either beat or lose to someone for 15 straight games it is no longer a rivalry. The winner just thinks of it as another game but to loser still thinks of it as a rivalry tho.

Regarding the various rumored proposals for SEC scheduling, everything I have heard would be the 4 pods is most likely going to happen, and that would mean 3 permanent rivals and 6 rotating opponents. On the 3 permanent opponents, sports Illustrated listed Bama, Vandy and South Carolina. I have seen others being listed as Bama, Vandy, and Kentucky. I have also seen Bama, Auburn and either Kentucky/Vandy. So, if we play 3 permanent opponents it looks like 2 of those 3 teams will be Bama and Vandy, and then either Kentucky or South Carolina, and I would prefer Kentucky since I think we played them more than anyone else in the conference. Everything I have heard and read says we lose the Georgia and Florida games, and when I first became a fan of the Vols in 1972, that is the way it was back at that time, in that we rarely played Georgia or Florida.

Reactions: GetYouSomeofThat
So we get Alabama and ky gets Missouri every year? Yeah that’s fair
Hell, they'll be playing them every other year.

One year UK will be playing us, Bama, Georgia, Oklahoma, Ole Miss & LSU (in addition to Vandy, Missouri and South Carolina)

The next UK will be playing us, Florida, Arkansas, Texas, Texas A&M & Auburn (in addition to Vandy, Missouri and Miss State).

Everybody is going to have a tough schedule, every year.

This format will be way better than what we have currently. As far as Bama is concerned, everybody who hasn't been playing Bama every year will now play them every other year (5 out of 10), instead of once every 7-8 years.

Hell, they'll be playing them every other year.

One year UK will be playing us, Bama, Georgia, Oklahoma, Ole Miss & LSU (in addition to Vandy, Missouri and South Carolina)

The next UK will be playing us, Florida, Arkansas, Texas, Texas A&M & Auburn (in addition to Vandy, Missouri and Miss State).

Everybody is going to have a tough schedule, every year.

This format will be way better than what we have currently. As far as Bama is concerned, everybody who hasn't been playing Bama every year will now play them every other year (5 out of 10), instead of once every 7-8 years.

This. The 3-6-6 evens things out much more than it is now.

I'm in favor of 3 permanent rivals and rotating the rest. 3 should be Bama, Kentucky, and Vandy.

I know Vandy and Kentucky are not as good as Florida, but those rivalries are much older. I personally view the Bama and UK rivalries as the most important. Vandy not so much, but who would Vandy's rival be if not us?

I would like to see permanent rivals kept at a minimum, preferably zero. Each game in a college football season is so important. It's not fair if our rival is Alabama and someone else's is Ole Miss. I do think the SEC should go to 9 conference games. That's what most Power 5 conferences are doing

I agree about ditching permanent rivals, but whatever they do in the next couple of years won't last long anyway. Look at the changes happening right now with no regulation enforcement in sight; large NIL contracts, transfer portal, tampering, unlimited recruiting class size (including transfers), unlimited coaching staff size, payment for walk-ons (which effectively expands roster size), boosters actively recruiting and welcomed with open arms, dozens of differing state laws, and court cases in progress re possible revenue sharing and collective bargaining. None of the traditional cfb structures are stable, including conferences, FBS division, the NCAA, and probably even the linkage between tertiary education and sports. It won't stabilize until something much more similar to professional sporting leagues emerges, IMO.

Last edited:
I'm in favor of 3 permanent rivals and rotating the rest. 3 should be Bama, Kentucky, and Vandy.

I know Vandy and Kentucky are not as good as Florida, but those rivalries are much older. I personally view the Bama and UK rivalries as the most important. Vandy not so much, but who would Vandy's rival be if not us?

I think Vandy has some kerfuffle with Ole Miss. Seems I’ve heard that before, somewhere. Other than that….

Ole Miss–Vanderbilt football rivalry - Wikipedia

Last edited:
View attachment 458010[/QUOTE]

If Bedlam continues (I personally doubt it will continue but i hope it does) then there should be no reason why Missouri and Kansas shouldn't renew their "Civil War" rivalry game.

I don't see Texas playing a rivalry game out of conference with any Big 12 team.

Just my $.02

I’m all for 7 permanent opponents and rotate two others each year.

Our permanent opponents: Vandy, Kentucky, Missouri, Miss State, South Carolina, Ole Miss, and Arkansas. 😂

Reactions: UTwild82
I agree about ditching permanent rivals, but whatever they do in the next couple of years won't last long anyway. Look at the changes happening right now with no regulation enforcement in sight; large NIL contracts, transfer portal, tampering, unlimited recruiting class size (including transfers), unlimited coaching staff size, payment for walk-ons (which effectively expands roster size), boosters actively recruiting and welcomed with open arms, dozens of differing state laws, and court cases in progress re possible revenue sharing and collective bargaining. None of the traditional cfb structures are stable, including conferences, FBS division, the NCAA, and probably even the linkage between tertiary education and sports. It won't stabilize until something much more similar to professional sporting leagues emerges, IMO.
IDK man, things rarely work out the way conventional wisdom expects and your post is definitely the current conventional wisdom. The reason the SEC is talking about doing an SEC only playoff is to cut the nuts off an anti-trust case (because it won't be a monopoly anymore if the SEC just plays itself, if people don't like the rules they can go elsewhere). If the SEC is operating as a league unto itself it can pretty much set whatever rules it likes, even Kavanaugh's militant skreed acknowledged that. There will end up being more compromise and more regulation than many message boarders currently think.

Those are total wins. If you want wins vs conference opponents only, stassen.com will also give you that. For teams that have played in multiple conferences over the time period selected, it combines their conference records.

Conference Record 1869-2021
Putting that UGA degree to work there, in Tennessee, "overall" and "total" are what we call synonyms. Old Mr. Webster defines synonyms as " one of two or more words or expressions of the same language that have the same or nearly the same meaning in some or all senses". 😜

Reactions: DeusExMachina
Putting that UGA degree to work there, in Tennessee, "overall" and "total" are what we call synonyms. Old Mr. Webster defines synonyms as " one of two or more words or expressions of the same language that have the same or nearly the same meaning in some or all senses". 😜

Yeah, I knew what you were saying, but I believe 901Orange was talking about conference wins, not overall wins.

Yeah, I knew what you were saying, but I believe 901Orange was talking about conference wins, not overall wins.
Yeah, that's why I linked that old Saturday down South article. You guys were only 15 behind in conference wins after 2014 and I figured you had passed us in the 7 years since, you picked up 7 wins the year Butch was fired alone.

Yeah, that's why I linked that old Saturday down South article. You guys were only 15 behind in conference wins after 2014 and I figured you had passed us in the 7 years since, you picked up 7 wins the year Butch was fired alone.

Got it. It's all history anyway. I have the feeling that we're at a fracture point in the history of cfb, starting a new "modern era" that looks and feels very different.

Two proposals being discussed for future SEC schedules seems to be down to 2. First, is a 7+1, everyone receives 7 random games plus one permanent rival game. Second, is 6+3, you receive 3 permanent rival games.

7+1, who would you want as the permanent rival/who do you think should be the permanent rival?

Does the SEC preserve the 3rd Sat of October, the Iron Bowl, or the Deep South’s Oldest Rivalry? If one or three happens, TN would draw Bama. Likely to me would be AU/UA and TN/KY or TN/Vandy, OM/MSU, LSU/A&M, OU/TX, UF/GA, AR/MO and maybe SC vs Vandy/KY.

6+3, this allows 3 rivals to continue plus you would play everyone in the conference every two years. This model also allows more money in tv negotiations. Who would you want as your 3?

7 plus 1 the perm opponent would be Alabama. Doesnt matter what anyone wants, it will be that one.

VN Store

Back